Author Topic: Are hula hoops the worst of the crisp-y snacks?  (Read 11448 times)

red marley

Re: Are hula hoops the worst of the crisp-y snacks?
« Reply #50 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:03:18 pm »
Why do people talk about inverted commas? What's wrong with apostrophes and quotation marks?

Good point. I had originally used the term 'quotes' in my post but thought it might suggest pithy words of wisdom from Wilde and Ustinov so changed it. I should have used 'quotation marks' which is much better.

I wonder if "Inverted commas" would make a good snack. A packet of tadpole shaped processed potato objects available in Salt 'n' Vinegar flavour.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:05:43 pm »
Hula Hoops are not the greatest but the WORST are Pringles

Are these two essentially the same? Hardened Smash?

Most of the potato snacks that aren't real potato based -  proper crisps that is - are made from recovered potato starch, which is a by-product of making proper crisps and other potato processing like chip making. Dried, powdered, reformed and moulded. I had the misfortune to try some Walkers "deep ridge" ones today.  :sick:

Yeah, any kind of deepridgery (it's a word, trust me) is the devil's own starchy topography. I don't see the point of a legal system if they let people do that to crisps. I don't mind the reformation products provided they taste nice (Pringles, for instance, I mean that's a snack they pretty much showed a picture of a potato to and whispered 'let's pretend, OK?').

There's probably nothing worse than those 'steak' flavoured McCoys. You know those shitty pubs, the ones where it looks like they're running a competition to see if they can go out of business before you finish your pint? They always serve Fosters 'lager' and McCoys crisps. They're like the like the two axes of immeasurable despair.

But stop dissing the Pringles, OK.

Twiglets are weird. They're, as far as I can tell, genuinely some kind of twig. Yet despite this fact, you just can't stop eating them, like you're a squirrel that fallen out of a free and landed on its head, and is now a bit mental and can't tell the difference between woods and acorns. If there's a bowl of Twiglets in front of you, it's a compulsion and you find yourself reaching out and shoveling them into your mouth. You hate it, but in they go. Not many people know this, but that entire scary branch thing in the Blair Witch Project? Twiglets.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 04 October, 2013, 06:41:14 am »
Pom Bears. Bland "get them hooked young" crisps made from the aforementioned potato mush.

Coincidentally, very tasteless people can buy alloy wheels for their car that look exactly the same.

http://www.directalloys.co.uk/details6.asp/ProductID/1349/sid/21/ronal-kult-rad-urs-silver-14-alloy-wheel.htm
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:38:34 am »
I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets.
They make me violent.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Ruth

« Reply #54 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:08:49 am »
Walkers deep ridged and McCoys are the essence of sinful fatty loveliness.  So there.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:57:57 am »
Why do people talk about inverted commas? What's wrong with apostrophes and quotation marks?

Good point. I had originally used the term 'quotes' in my post but thought it might suggest pithy words of wisdom from Wilde and Ustinov so changed it. I should have used 'quotation marks' which is much better.

I wonder if "Inverted commas" would make a good snack. A packet of tadpole shaped processed potato objects available in Salt 'n' Vinegar flavour.
It's inverted snobbery.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #56 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
I adore the lemon and chilli crisps from the asian shops.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #57 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »
As for Twiglets, I don't like them but if they are there I can't stop eating them.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »
Meat flavour crisps are wrong..... except for Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard. And I reckon that's only cos they're so mustardy  it goes up your nose.

I had some lentil crisps a few weeks ago, they were really nice!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #59 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:41:45 pm »
On that note... do Wasabi crisps exist?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:54:14 pm »
Seems RZ encountered horseradish crisps in Austria but didn't sample...https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76406.msg1570709#msg1570709

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #61 on: 07 October, 2013, 07:53:05 am »
My friend's little girl was playing cafés the other day. Her café served "everything except wasabi."
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #62 on: 07 October, 2013, 08:00:32 am »
To go completely off topic, for once :) R4 had the founder of Tyrell's crisps on this morning, talking about overseas markets.

He said his biggest mistake was trying to sell Parsnip crisps to France, where that root vegetable is seen as pig food only...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #63 on: 07 October, 2013, 08:37:01 am »

Yes - I've eaten them - and very nice they were too.
Owner of a languishing Langster

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #64 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:19:17 am »
To go completely off topic, for once :) R4 had the founder of Tyrell's crisps on this morning, talking about overseas markets.

He said his biggest mistake was trying to sell Parsnip crisps to France, where that root vegetable is seen as pig food only...

Even more OT, I remember a Lithuanian lady telling me that turnips were only used as animal fodder 'back home'.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:24:00 am »
My friend's little girl was playing cafés the other day. Her café served "everything except wasabi."

Unsurprising if my memory of childhood food is accurate.
I was much more sensitive to strongly flavoured foods; some peppermints were painful as were some spices.
Little girl probably found wasabi unpleasant to the point of pain more than an adult would.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #66 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:39:32 pm »

Unsurprising if my memory of childhood food is accurate.
I was much more sensitive to strongly flavoured foods; some peppermints were painful as were some spices.
Little girl probably found wasabi unpleasant to the point of pain more than an adult would.

I read a piece in the guardian recently by a baby food taster. She explained that babies and children have about twice as many tastebuds as adults, which explains their general response to strong flavours.

She also explained that she had been born with more than the usual number of tastebuds, which meant she was better placed to do her job.

(OT is fine. In fact, I love this place as much for the off topic as the on stuff.)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?