Author Topic: 7-8" Tablet for Casual Photo Editing  (Read 822 times)

Afasoas

7-8" Tablet for Casual Photo Editing
« on: 28 December, 2013, 10:37:42 pm »
My partner was bought a dSLR for Crimble (Nikon D3200) and is wondering about a Tablet for lazy/casual photo editing.
She's looking at a Galaxy Tab 3 - 8 inch. The questions are around:
1) The device managing the 24 MP files - does it have enough oooomph? (JPEG or RAW - depends on what options there are for processing uploaded pictures)
2) Getting the pictures onto the device in the first place - I can see 3 options
 a) Buy a cable to connect the camera via micro-USB and download software from Google Play Store to transfer the files
 b) Use a micro SD card with adapter in the camera
 c) Uploading pictures to the home network and accessing them via Wi-Fi
She's seen me using Snapseed & Photoshop Touch on my iPad 2 - which has been fine with 6 MP Nikon D40 JPEGs
I'm encouraging her just to shoot RAW and use my behemoth PC to select and post-process pictures via Lightroom, but there are two problems with this:
a) She finds it intimidating
b) In a way I think it'd take the fun out of it. She knows I spend long hours sat processing professional shoots and I suppose she doesn't like the associations of stepping into my "office" for what is meant to be a relaxed/fun hobby.
c) She wants a new toy of her own to play with.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: 7-8" Tablet for Casual Photo Editing
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:24:42 am »
I'm not totally convinced 8" is big enough, but that's your call...  Dunno if it'll handle the files OK.  I could test with Mrs W's tab 3 10" but I have no idea what software would cope with RAWs.  Actually transferring files no problem, as it should just read them off an attached card reader but not sure where you go from there.  I think my RAWs are about 17Mb, and the jpg are typically around 5Mb.

I may also check out on my Nexus 7, as at least that is mine to wreck, not Mrs W's work device...
Wombat

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2013, 12:20:58 pm »
Note that some software that seems to display RAW images actually just open the poor-quality JPEGs embedded in RAW files as previews.  For a device that can't run Lightroom or Silkypix DS, you're better off converting the RAW to JPEG/TIFF first on a PC, or not shooting RAW exclusively in the first place.

I think beginner photographers should just shoot JPEG anyway.  They've got enough to learn with the actual photography, and not being able to rescue so much afterwards should make them better photographers.  RAW can come later.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2013, 09:34:19 pm »
It's done and dusted.

Looking at this for editing RAW files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2&hl=en_GB
Very much a suck it and see approach.