Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 60266 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2018, 03:37:43 pm »
Tbh, I haven't been following the qualifiers closely so I don't really know who the contenders are beyond the obvious (Brazil, Germany, Argentina). I didn't even realise until I just checked that the Netherlands aren't there this year.

The South American teams never win in Europe, and Germany seem to be out of form, so maybe England are actually in with a shout? Otherwise, Belgium and France look like good bets.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 13 June, 2018, 03:40:34 pm »
And Spain have a new manager as of today.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #27 on: 13 June, 2018, 03:51:25 pm »
And Spain have a new manager as of today.

Yes, that's a strange one. Hard to know how it will affect the team.

« Reply #28 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:19:44 pm »
Nobody expects England to win his World Cup, so the odds can be pretty much anything really. It's neither here nor there.
Expectations have finally settled down after so long, and are now realistic, which is a very good thing - for the players more than anything else. We have some very good young players out there. Strange too is the fact that England will be fielding an internationally inexperienced goalkeeper - although it feels strangely reassuring and more settled because of it! [than in recent years]
And I like Southgate's preference for playing three at the back with wing backs - start playing a system often enough and players start to believe in it and actually know what they're supposed to be doing.

I'll be watching it anyway - I always have done [often with my father, but this will be the first without him.]

As long as the players give it a go, take a few risks - I'll be happy.
Garry Broad

« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »
Spain v Portugal.

Not a bad game so far.  Pepe going down clutching his head, when it seemed nothing went near it... ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:25:08 pm »
Looks like England is still doing well in this cup.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #31 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
 ;D
I don't watch a lot of Spanish football. Is CR's bugged out Maradona look usual for him?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #32 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:41:47 pm »
Great goals.  England can dream of some of those displays of passing...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #33 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:43:16 am »
Opening game - Red vs Green -  :hand: FOAD FIFA

Portugal against Spain, another match where you hope they both lose

Got Denmark in the sweepstake. Not the worst team but I doubt I'll see that pound again
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:15:55 am »
I bought 2 sweepstake tickets in my local.  Mrs. B got Russia.  I got Korea.  Bugger!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #35 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:44:54 am »
God, this is a dirty Aussie side.  The ref. needs to sort it out because the game is being stifled.

« Reply #36 on: 16 June, 2018, 12:19:13 pm »
But it's also getting interesting!

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 16 June, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »
God, this is a dirty Aussie side.  The ref. needs to sort it out because the game is being stifled.

Some of the French players were going down far too easily though. Hernandez did well to last 90 minutes after being brutally murdered at least four times.

Also, cracking display by the ref. I thought VAR was supposed to help them avoid making wrong decisions?

« Reply #38 on: 16 June, 2018, 05:06:58 pm »
Cristiano Ronaldo is ~6 months older than Wayne Rooney.
WTF ?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 16 June, 2018, 07:34:01 pm »
Rooney is an exemplar of the diet and training that made BRITISH sportsmen the best in the world: fish and chips, cigarettes and whisky, a jog round the park on Sunday morning and some raucous bellowing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #40 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:17:32 pm »
Rooney is an exemplar of the diet and training that made BRITISH sportsmen the best in the world: fish and chips, cigarettes and whisky, a jog round the park on Sunday morning and some raucous bellowing.

Not sure I understand.  You don't think he was fit?

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:59:13 pm »
Nigeria's attacking against Croatia was Biblical – Moses parting the Red Sea.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #42 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:03:56 am »
And it closing over him again.....

citoyen

World cup 2018
« Reply #43 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:06:43 am »
Nigeria were woeful. They almost managed to make Croatia look good. Almost!

Peru were enjoyable to watch but they need to learn where the goal is. Denmark are not a great side.

Very much looking forward to Germany vs Mexico today.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #44 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:12:59 am »
Ooooh England is still in it, wow, is it time to start singing - it's coming home?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #45 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:18:34 am »
Good logic, WP.  I used the same for Rochdale in this year's FA Cup:  we reached the last 16 and a tie against Spurs, which Spurs managed to draw after a routine Dele Alli dive for a fake penalty.  We were thrashed in the replay but for a glorious week Rochdale were in the last 9!

« Reply #46 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:51:15 am »
At last, a referee giving a penalty for a defender manhandling a forward during the taking of
a corner. This happened in the Croatia vs Nigeria game. These incidents occur on a regular basis
in all matches, but refs totally ignore it. Any referee with common sense can place themself
at such an angle when a corner is being taken to see the kick itself and what is going on in the
penalty area.

« Reply #47 on: 17 June, 2018, 01:55:25 pm »
Yes, that was a good shout.  I didn't have the sound on; what did the pundits say?  On BBC "Lawro" would almost certainly have criticised the referee for penalising a defender.  I want to be reincarnated as Lawrenson because he knows everything.

« Reply #48 on: 17 June, 2018, 03:53:14 pm »
I only saw the incident from the BBC website. I've only seen such foul-play peanalised twice
before. One was in a Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Liverpool a few years
ago, and the other was in the Premier League this year (I think it involved Stoke City).

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 17 June, 2018, 03:58:21 pm »
It would have been hard not to give a penalty for that - it was practically a rugby tackle.