Author Topic: Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be...  (Read 1010 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be...
« on: 29 May, 2020, 10:38:17 pm »
I’ve recently joined a new Farcebark group for the old Gita of the R&D facility of a formally significant player in the global telecommunications industry. It’s caused me to reflect on some of the cutting edge stuff I’ve been involved with, some of it now fundamental to our way of life. Yes, a lot of it has succumbed to the relentless progress of technological change, but there’s some significant stuff you rely on every day that I was part of the rollout.

But it’s not these monumental projects and programmes that really cause me nostalgia, partly I suspect because I now realise the opportunities I missed by not fully understanding the social implications when I was knee deep in tech. No, the things I feel nostalgic for are the technologies I was involved with at in their death throes. Electromagnetic telephone switching, analogue transmission systems. 9600 baud modems with modular quantisation. Telex. Batch processing tape or card stored programmes. Again I do cringe at some of the opportunities I let slip through my life long motivational issues, but life was so much slower when you had to wait until tomorrow to discover if you’d done your coding right.

Nostalgia. It’s a strange mistress.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be...
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2020, 11:01:18 pm »
Nostalgia. It’s a strange mistress.
and one I've given up on completely, it's just not like it used to be...
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2020, 08:54:24 am »
9600 bd?  Luxury!  We 'ad to make do with two cans and a bit of wet string, and our office was a shoebox in t'middle of t'road. 16 of us in it too...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2020, 03:22:22 pm »
Did I mention that 9600bd needed a 4 wire private circuit to function?  8)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2020, 05:05:10 pm »
I remember smuggling a telebit trailblazer back from the you ess so that we could have decent speed uucp transfer back to the west coast - better than the 2400 baud that was on offer in this country at the time.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!