Author Topic: Best Cake Stops (also beer)  (Read 182145 times)

Re: Best Cake Stops (also beer)
« Reply #75 on: 04 December, 2010, 07:31:24 pm »
There appears to be a culinary hole in west Cambridgeshire/east Bedfordshire. Given the number of cyclists  there are in those there parts cannot be possible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #76 on: 11 December, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
Last Easter RZ and others were planning a camping trip, one possible and one venue was here. I've not camped there... but have visited several times for their brilliant cream teas. Great setting too,  strongly recommended.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #77 on: 12 December, 2010, 10:34:38 pm »
The Viper in Mill Green is undoubtedly the best pub in the world, ever. Many cyclists stop by there - some of the old boys even have 'Viper' jerseys, slogan: 'Powered by Nethergate...' and 'If found, return to The Viper'. ;D

The beer and food is excellent and reasonably priced, it's in a great location, and there's always a friendly atmosphere.

Essex pub guide: The Viper, Mill Green, Essex - Telegraph
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mondobongo

« Reply #78 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:23:43 am »

Just added The Barn at Scorton. If you stand at the bottom of Snow hill its across the road slightly to the left, were the big old tractor is.

Great homemade cakes and coffee all at reasonable prices with friendly staff. Fantastic alternative to The Priory.

The Barn

« Reply #79 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:29:22 am »
Just added a few in Eastern/Central England.

Also put a comment at the top to the effect that you may need to look at every page to see all the cafes on your planned route as Google does not display them all in one go I for one would not have realised this and maybe missed some places.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

ngordonc

« Reply #80 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »
Check out Stokes of Stockbridge (Hampshire) - opposite the Orvis shop - a brand new coffee shop/ wine bar/ restaurant. It will be fully opened by 12th January 2011 but the coffee and snacks are great. The owners (Philip & Jules) are keen fun cyclists so expect some rides to start/ finish at Stokes later on in the year.

Tried adding it to the map but failed miserably! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #81 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:51:05 am »
A vote for Wilf's cafe in Staveley, just off the road between Windermere and Kendal. Fantastic food, and there is a huge cycle mega-warehouse next door (which sells lots of bikes that all look the same to me). sorry, can't get to grips with the map.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #82 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »
Just added Stonehurst Family Farm, the cake stop from the EM Fixedwheel ride.  I can still taste the amazing pheasant casserole.

It's also a very bike-friendly place (CTC certificates up on the wall by the till, etc.); you'll see cyclists in there most days, according to Frenchie.

If you are cycling in the area, stop here.  It's worth adding some extra miles to the route.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #83 on: 30 January, 2011, 05:48:12 pm »
If you're ever touring the South Downs, the Singing Kettle in Alfriston is a top quality cake stop; nice teas, very nice cakes.  Forgive me if I don't add it to the map myself, but I'm allergic to Google.

Added it to the map, since I was logged in.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Cake stop
« Reply #84 on: 20 February, 2011, 07:48:52 am »
Auntie Helen and I agreed that the tea and cake to be had at the old Rayne station, near Braintree, is worth an honourable mention.

« Reply #85 on: 21 February, 2011, 02:04:34 pm »
The Viper in Mill Green is undoubtedly the best pub in the world, ever. Many cyclists stop by there - some of the old boys even have 'Viper' jerseys, slogan: 'Powered by Nethergate...' and 'If found, return to The Viper'. ;D

The beer and food is excellent and reasonably priced, it's in a great location, and there's always a friendly atmosphere.

Essex pub guide: The Viper, Mill Green, Essex - Telegraph

I've just been to The Viper for lunch. And most excellent it was too. That Torygraph article is utter bollocks. One of things that makes The Viper so great is the friendliness of the staff. Maybe they sensed he was from the Twategraph and treated him accordingly....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Good pub
« Reply #86 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
Wig and mitre, Steep Hill, Lincoln, just round the corner from the cathedral. Excellent beer, food and service and reasonably priced specials.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #87 on: 20 April, 2011, 12:45:35 am »
The Deli, in Wells-next-sea, Norfolk serves heavenly porridge ...

Wells Deli, Norfolk - Delicatessen, Sandwiches, Fine Food, Wine in Wells Wells-next-the-Sea UK

Has very friendly staff & a full view of the harbour
Where have all the hedges gone ?

« Reply #88 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:09:08 pm »
A vote for Wilf's cafe in Staveley, just off the road between Windermere and Kendal. Fantastic food, and there is a huge cycle mega-warehouse next door (which sells lots of bikes that all look the same to me). sorry, can't get to grips with the map.

Hawkshead brewery ( revamped ) is next door & the award winning 'More' bakery is just next door again ( chocolate Mudees are the VERY best !

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #89 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »
Makin' it international, added a few of my favourites in the US of A!

« Reply #90 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »
The Fleet Bakery in Lincons Inn Fields London is very good. Proper coffee and a selection of cakes. The Hummingbird cake is heartily recommended.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #91 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:01:04 am »
Add a couple in the Maidenhead area.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #92 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:29:22 am »
Just added 4 pubs sampled during our random night random rides, all in North Yorkshire.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #93 on: 12 June, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »
Excellent  tea, and cake, external tables at weekends..... reasonably priced too. Egleton village hall Rutland water.

Village hall, Egleton:: OS grid SK8707 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

« Reply #94 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
A useful one for the Way of the Roses route, or just a stop in Ripon

Dudleys cafe & sandwich shop 84, North Street, Ripon. HG4 1DP.
01765 603060
Always a warm smiley welcome . all day breakfasts, toasties, homemade specials etc.

TO FIND US .When in Ripon square, find Burtons (mens clothes shop) stay on the same side and 2min ride straight up out of the the square to the lefthand corner of the square, pass the original factory shop we are 100 yds on the left .lockable yard at rear of cafe for bikes .
opening times mon - sat 8-4 sunday 10 - 4 (april - mid sept )

I will declare a small interest as it is run by my sister. But she really is cycle friendly and opens on Sundays and Bank holidays  , and the nosh is good too :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #95 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:09:33 am »

01765 603060
Always a warm smiley welcome . all day breakfasts, toasties, homemade specials etc.

TO FIND US .When in Ripon square, find Burtons (mens clothes shop) stay on the same side and 2min ride straight up out of the the square to the lefthand corner of the square, pass the original factory shop we are 100 yds on the left .lockable yard at rear of cafe for bikes .

I will declare a small interest as it is run by my sister. But she really is cycle friendly and opens on Sundays and Bank holidays  , and the nosh is good too :thumbsup:

I spent many a Saturday in that cafe with my mum and dad, as a child.  Obv. not run by your sister at that time!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #96 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:14:41 am »

01765 603060

I spent many a Saturday in that cafe with my mum and dad, as a child.  Obv. not run by your sister at that time!

Probably not! Shes only had it just under a year or so, and, forgive me , but you dint look quite that young ;D

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
« Reply #97 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:18:12 am »
Cake needed!!
Off to ride up to Grantown on Spey from Perth and back over the weekend of 25/26th June.
We are going over Glenshee and Lech so calories are required...
Any cafe recommendations out there?

I thank you, Lord H

(or hopefully after cake - Lard H)
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

« Reply #98 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
Have to say this. I guess that wherever Crinkly is then the best cake stop is right there. She does really exceedingly good cakes and spoils her riding companions rotten. I understand Mrs J also packs a mean cake but I have not experienced that atm. Strewth isn't YACF great?

« Reply #99 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:43:02 pm »
Have to say this. I guess that wherever Crinkly is then the best cake stop is right there. She does really exceedingly good cakes and spoils her riding companions rotten. I understand Mrs J also packs a mean cake but I have not experienced that atm. Strewth isn't YACF great?

You missed out on the cakeavan? :o

You need to come to Tan Hill on Friday and try some of Marj's fruit cake (assuming jogler doesn't scoff it all again).