Author Topic: Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent, Friday 28th December 2018  (Read 9781 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent, Friday 28th December 2018
« on: 04 December, 2018, 05:51:31 pm »
Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent proposal, all welcome:

Boudicca's Revenge 200km 28/12/2018. Other dates are possible ...

Start in Dunmow with breakfast at the Paradise Cafe [normally opens 07:00 - I'll check holiday opening].

Alternatively riders from further afield might like to do a DIY that incorporates a fair chunk of the route and sync-up for a sociable ride.

Nice cafes at Buntingford, bakers at Potton or the Coach House hotel for a coffee, late lunch at the Green Welly, the delights of the A14 services, pub stop on the long final leg, with the option of a 'hill-dodger's long-cut' avoiding Royston Lane, Saffron Walden etc [only about 3km further] and the Angel and Harp, Churchend, Dunmow for the arrivee.

WAGs welcome at the finish or indeed anywhere en-route!

It will probably be a full value day out [up to 14h07 allowed @ 14.3kph!], with plenty of night riding: we could put the Christmas lights on ...

Re: Post-Christmas ACME Group Permanent, Friday 28th December 2018
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2018, 06:37:43 pm »
Only WAGs, not HABs too? Sounds tempting, but I’m not sure what’s happening after Christmas. Still got a 200 perm of yours to do (unless perms expire).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:45:31 pm »
Only WAGs, not HABs too? Sounds tempting, but I’m not sure what’s happening after Christmas. Still got a 200 perm of yours to do (unless perms expire).

WAGs n'HABs, sprogs, dogs, Uncle Tom Cobley and all ...

My perm brevets don't expire, though some inhabit a parallel universe down the back of the Straggler's sofa!

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »
I'm planning a Festive 500 this year and hoping to complete it based on audax brevets. I was thinking about a 200 km and a 300 km DIY perm so as Dunmow is 50 km from me this looks perfect for a 300.

So definitely up for this, weather nearer the time depending: cold and dry is OK, ice is not OK (I'm no stranger to the Essex gritting lorry map  ;D).

Happy to be flexible about the date.

Nim

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:44:54 pm »
I'm planning a Festive 500 this year and hoping to complete it based on audax brevets. I was thinking about a 200 km and a 300 km DIY perm so as Dunmow is 50 km from me this looks perfect for a 300.

So definitely up for this, weather nearer the time depending: cold and dry is OK, ice is not OK (I'm no stranger to the Essex gritting lorry map  ;D).

Happy to be flexible about the date.

Nim

You'd be surprised how much of the Boudica and Dick Perms are on gritted routes (except that bit I came off on on the BR100).

I can't make this as I'll be experiencing hopefully milder climate overseas with the bike... have fun!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
Paradise is open for business ... 28th December at 07:00  :thumbsup:

If I can get an idea of how many will be out, I'll let them know the day before.

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2018, 02:23:28 pm »
I'm intending to ride. If the weather is absolutely horrendous then I'll not be riding, but otherwise I'll be there. I'll confirm on 26th if things are looking bad.

What's the best way to enter, via aukweb or cash on the day?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2018, 06:32:00 pm »
What's the best way to enter, via aukweb or cash on the day?

I'm happy for folks to decide on the day whether to ride.

Cash + form on the day - I can do instant validation assuming: a) I'm riding and b) I don't get dropped.

« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2018, 07:27:37 am »
Am also intending to ride., weather dependent.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:46:23 am »
Apparently we are doing this. Are there any normal people riding? I'm concerned about pace. Shorter stops and a steady ride between controls rather than long stops and TT-ing in between is better for me and my non speed-like riding. Anyone else for this approach?

« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:15:38 am »
Cash + form on the day - I can do instant validation assuming: a) I'm riding and b) I don't get dropped.

Change of plan for me, will train it up to Bishop's Stortford and ride across to do just the Boudicca's 200 perm. I'll bring a form and cash on the day for entry.

Tom could I just check the planned meeting time - 7 am for breakfast with a start around say 8 am?

Cheers, Nim

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #11 on: 17 December, 2018, 01:29:30 pm »
Apparently we are doing this. Are there any normal people riding? I'm concerned about

The strangler and psycho (refer to 2 threads up from yours) are planning to ride so you might be safe. 

;D
CCS - Setting the Standards

Jem

« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2018, 01:56:32 pm »
Apparently we are doing this. Are there any normal people riding? I'm concerned about

The strangler and psycho (refer to 2 threads up from yours) are planning to ride so you might be safe. 

;D

:o  Just need Nurse Ratched to complete the set....

« Reply #13 on: 17 December, 2018, 04:12:36 pm »

;D
I wouldn’t feel safe with the strangler around!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #14 on: 18 December, 2018, 08:14:02 am »

;D

He's a pussycat, it's psycho and Nurse Ratched you've gotta worry about :demon:

« Reply #15 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:42:32 am »

;D

He's a pussycat, it's psycho and Nurse Ratched you've gotta worry about :demon:
Raymond typed the straNgler. Was it a typo, or is there a strangler aswell as the straggler on here?

Whether I can make it depends on what the family (kids are back home) are doing over Xmas.

« Reply #16 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:21:01 am »
Was it a typo, or is there a strangler as well as the straggler on here?

One body, split personality. 

« Reply #17 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:27:11 am »
I'm working so can't be there to assist with keeping the pace nice and slow....have fun though folks!

Jem

« Reply #18 on: 18 December, 2018, 11:07:24 am »
I'm working so can't be there to assist with keeping the pace nice and slow....have fun though folks!

Aww....you will be missed. :(
But, with the likes of Psycho, the Strangler and Nurse Ratched on the loose, it's probably a body guard, not a paceman I need.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
We could be interested in this... depending on a) weather and b) progress on the ever-lengthening membership "to do" list!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
I recall a Willesden Winter Full-Value Boudicca 200 a few years ago: we started just before dawn and went via the airport perimeter road as there was a touch of frost about. Cafe stops all the way apart from the first stop at Buntingford, when Assassin's flask of hot chocolate was deployed, along with cherry bakewells.

There used to be a cafe in Potton, sadly long gone, so as suggested upthread, an early cafe break in Buntingford, Lindsay's Bakery in Potton for takeaway hot drinks and cake  [among many goodies they have elephant's footprints - the Audax Food of Champions], Green Welly = enormous portions for a late lunch, A14 services, then a pub stop - I suggest the Queens Head in Littlebury. Depends on timing of course, but the QH re-opens for food on 28th at 6pm - a mere 27km from the finish. Or crack on and eat in Dunmow [at the Angel and Harp?] once we've finished.

Meet from 07:00 at the Paradise in Dunmow [by the War Memorial in the middle of the town], starting at 08:00 so we'd have until 22:00 to get back on a 14 hour schedule!

Jem

« Reply #21 on: 22 December, 2018, 06:28:27 pm »
I recall a Willesden Winter Full-Value Boudicca 200 a few years ago: we started just before dawn and went via the airport perimeter road as there was a touch of frost about. Cafe stops all the way apart from the first stop at Buntingford, when Assassin's flask of hot chocolate was deployed, along with cherry Bakewells.

Ah yes, the Cherry Bakewells ....they were an Assassin tradition on the Dorset Coast - dragged the best part of 100 miles to be eaten on the highest, most exposed point before Dorchester regardless of how cold, wet and windy it was.

I'll definitely be full value  :facepalm:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #22 on: 22 December, 2018, 10:46:37 pm »
Hoping to participate, however an Aunt in hospital and have volunteered to help sort out the lounge to get it in a fit state to "live in" once released from hospital with a care package in place - currently the carers could refuse to go in on health and safety grounds.

I will try to confirm plans before the day, but if I don't show up - go without me and enjoy.

« Reply #23 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:23:40 am »
I seem to be shaking off the bug that has struck me down for much of the week, so now need to start considering how to gradually build up the mileage again, ready for Friday. With thoughts on Friday, I've checked the route distances, shared below for anybody else who has not ridden this route beforehand:

35km  - Buntingford - cafe
66km  - Potton - Lindsay's Bakery
112km - Chatteris - Green Welly
141km - A14 Services
186km - Littlebury - Queen's Head
211km - Great Dunmow - Angel and Harp

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #24 on: 23 December, 2018, 03:46:29 pm »
I seem to be shaking off the bug that has struck me down for much of the week, so now need to start considering how to gradually build up the mileage again, ready for Friday. With thoughts on Friday, I've checked the route distances, shared below for anybody else who has not ridden this route beforehand:

35km  - Buntingford - cafe
66km  - Potton - Lindsay's Bakery
112km - Chatteris - Green Welly
141km - A14 Services
186km - Littlebury - Queen's Head
211km - Great Dunmow - Angel and Harp

Glad you're still alive, you are a delicate flower.

Crikey, it was 225km last time I rode it, maybe I went the wrong way :facepalm:

I asked Tomsk if I could miss the out and back to Chatteris, 'cos it would still be over 200km. He wouldn't allow it, he said the Green Welly was the best bit of the ride :o