Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87782 times)

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #600 on: 21 June, 2019, 05:50:01 am »
Think some serious investment in Brownie Points from Mrs CET will be required for CrAcKpOt and Wild Atlantic Way in same year.

This is exactly my thinking at the moment.

I bet the WAWA will land on the same dates and make the decision harder but the conversation at home a little easier.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #601 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:21:32 pm »
Two more Crackpot perm successes this last week end [phew!]

Ian Ryall and Shaun Hargreaves started Thursday and finished some 72hrs or so later.

To help the calendar event next year I have asked for their GPS and any info that may affect the ride in 2020.

Likewise if anyone can provide information on their perm Crackpot experience please get in touch. Don't be shy all assistance appreciated!

« Reply #602 on: 08 July, 2019, 11:47:33 am »
Will it be a BRM event? Been planning to do the Wessex SR for a while, want to do all as calendar, the CrAcKpOt will be the icing on the cake, BRM will get me my last 1000 for ACP R10000 :D I'll still do it though...

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #603 on: 08 July, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
BRM intended  8)

« Reply #604 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:32:40 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #605 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:51:15 am »
Two more Crackpot perm successes this last week end [phew!]

Ian Ryall and Shaun Hargreaves started Thursday and finished some 72hrs or so later.

Horay! :thumbsup:

To help the calendar event next year I have asked for their GPS and any info that may affect the ride in 2020.

Likewise if anyone can provide information on their perm Crackpot experience please get in touch. Don't be shy all assistance appreciated!

I'm not sure that my ride is any real use. After a GPS cock up I found myself using the backup routesheet on the way to the original Codford St Peter control. That was short lived, as my routesheet made a bid for freedom in the night, on the decent to Okeford Fitzpaine, never to be seen again...
This led to an improvised version of Crackpot for the last 2-300km.

I'm hoping to ride Tour Divide next year and I don't know how Crackpot fits in with the calendar.
Some riding, testing the route early next year might be a good plan for all.
It'd be good to ride again, though probably my first with gears. I'm sure I could still ride it on fixed within the time limit, but from my last Crackpot, I decided that I didn't really want to walk quite that much and if I did, I'd have gone for a walk, not a bike ride.
On the other hand, if it doesn't clash with anything higher up my hierarchy of events and an extra pair of hand are needed to make it possible, or even much less stressful, then volunteering would be a good option for me too.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #606 on: 13 July, 2019, 01:46:40 pm »
I'm hoping to ride Tour Divide next year
I'm already looking forward to watching your blue dot next year  :D
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #607 on: 13 July, 2019, 03:01:46 pm »
I decided that I didn't really want to walk quite that much and if I did, I'd have gone for a walk, not a bike ride.

There's a reason it's called a push bike...  ;)

« Reply #608 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:35:34 am »
I decided that I didn't really want to walk quite that much and if I did, I'd have gone for a walk, not a bike ride.

There's a reason it's called a push bike...  ;)

I suppose there's some irony in my reasoning for probably not riding Crackpot on fixed again and saying that I want to do Tour Divide in the same post. Given my lack of off road skill usually means I end up pushing or carrying my mountain bike on ost off road rides.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #609 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:01:40 pm »
I may have missed this up thread, but what are the options for sleeping. I am a little thrown by the 8pm start.

BB

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #610 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »
You ride through the first night, then sleep in ditches, graveyards etc.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #611 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:09:13 pm »
You ride through the first night, then sleep in ditches, graveyards etc.
Not sure if that was what I was hopping for / dreading. I have avoided the Wessex rides as I prefer rides that go somewhere and the Wessex rides just go round and round with little direction. But I may break my duck next year.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #612 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:46:08 pm »
The wessex rides are the best rides there are and give a fine tour of ancient wessex and as someone who as ridden them for 25 years they do go somewhere!!!!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #613 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:50:33 pm »
It's on the list for next year.  Given my recent track record at difficult hilly rides, that's probably a mistake.  But it's less time away from home than any other 1000.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #614 on: 25 September, 2019, 07:00:57 am »
The wessex rides are the best rides there are and give a fine tour of ancient wessex and as someone who as ridden them for 25 years they do go somewhere!!!!
I meant rides like BCM, PBP and LEJOG that have a specific direction, I struggled mentally (and on the hills) in the Millie Pennines because it came back to the same place. If I ride the Crackpot I will constantly be distracted by the shortcuts I could take.

BB

« Reply #615 on: 25 September, 2019, 10:29:01 am »
The Crackpot isn't an out and back ride or like the MP1K or the Mille Cymru that visit the same sleep stop twice. Instead, it's a full tour of Wessex, so you'll see ever-changing scenery instead of seeing the same landscape you've already traversed from a different angle.

It's a bit different.

It's also mentally demanding and, as postie says, you'll be looking to sleep in ditches/bus shelters/graveyards at some points - because it takes a lot out of you, mentally as well as physically.

It's one of the most rewarding routes I've ever ridden.

« Reply #616 on: 25 September, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »
Interesting that the AUK calendar is showing Crackpot, then Mille Pennines the following weekend.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #617 on: 25 September, 2019, 06:44:02 pm »
Interesting that the AUK calendar is showing Crackpot, then Mille Pennines the following weekend.
Madness :thumbsup:

« Reply #618 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:55:06 pm »
Madness :thumbsup:
Especially if you have already done Deano’s 1000 as a bit of a warm up  :demon:

« Reply #619 on: 07 October, 2019, 05:10:26 pm »

and then LLEL on 8th July!
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-895/

« Reply #620 on: 23 October, 2019, 04:22:40 pm »
Why the capitalisation in CrAcKpOt?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #621 on: 23 October, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »
Why the capitalisation in CrAcKpOt?
It's not always done that way but it does signify the insanity of parts of the route: (Edit: and the riders)
http://www.wessexsr.org.uk/Crackpot.html

« Reply #622 on: 23 October, 2019, 04:53:28 pm »
Damn. This has been on my DIY todo for ages and now there's a Calendar version I have tickets to a Green Day gig in London on Sat night :S

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #623 on: 23 October, 2019, 07:33:37 pm »
Damn. This has been on my DIY todo for ages and now there's a Calendar version I have tickets to a Green Day gig in London on Sat night :S
It'll just have to be a "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". (sorry).

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #624 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:52:40 pm »
Nah, I'll just go back to doing it as a DIY... I walk alone...