Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

I've just got a Tailfin to try it out. Normally I don't like roll tops as I think they are a pain to access and not necessary, but I thought I'd try it as lots of people rave about them. Not used it yet.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on Frank.
The issue with the rack-pack for me isn't, necessarily, the roll top it's more the 3 straps that you have to undo to get anything out of the bag. Then you have to connect them all again. With luck, they haven't dropped onto your oily chain.....I know there's a side pocket but that's too small to be any use at all.
OTOH, I love how stable the rack is and the mini-panniers are excellent and they don't wobble around at all.

Back on topic: I don't camp so I don't need a tent and all the other paraphernalia but I've found that even "rigidly" mounted seat-packs cause too much sway when I'm out of the saddle, hence my preference for the Tailfin rack.
I've also got a Tailfin top-tube bag and, on longer tours, I use a small frame-bag and a "quick on-off" Ortlieb handle-bar bag. The Ortlieb is useful for keeping valuables in and it also helps to even up the weight across the bike.

You can get a matching set of Tailfin kit Rabbit but it'll cost you. Rack-pack aside, it works really well.

The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 11:39:48 am »
Murders In The Rue Morgue ~ Iron Maiden
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 11:39:35 am »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/26:
*56/56 words (+5 bonus words)
🎯 In the top 12% by accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 29
Certain bags suit their certain uses.

Ortlieb panniers are great for carrying more stuff, but add weight and encourage even more weight.
Bikepacking bags are amazing for bikepacking offroad, on-road they work but difficult access isnt offset by any real benfit, for anything but bikepacking they are crap.
Classic handlebar bag and Saddle bag (carradice style), brilliant for general ease of use and access, not great off-road or if you need more space.

My favourite road bikepacking setup was an ortlieb handlebar bag and carradice saddle bag. Just enough space for small sleeping bag, tiny tent and a lightweight (i.e. no excess clothing or spare shoes etc.) set-up.
For offroad i use Wildcat gear bags, compact, fit my bike but very much only accessed for camp setup. Frame bag used for general access stuff.
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 11:34:42 am »
Durham 12 - 2. A wicket each for Cook & Porter.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by fimm on Today at 11:18:49 am »
I'd expect it's something more arcane about how many trains of what type they can keep overnight in which depot.
Probably.
However they were clearly reading this thread, as it was a 6 carriage train yesterday...
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 11:17:23 am »
And another round of games starts.

Durham won the toss and elected to bat. Currently 4 - 0 in the 4th over.

Surrey won the foss and put Hants in. 14 - 1.

Somerset 8 - 0 v Worcs.

Notts 15 - 0 v Warks.
« Last post by PaulF on Today at 11:02:40 am »
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
« Last post by JefO on Today at 10:58:22 am »
So in this page, we have gone from White Wedding to Creep. I know someone that had Creep as the first dance at their wedding.
His mother and father in law thought he was a psycho anyway...

Psycho - Muse
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 10:46:17 am »
Creep - Radiohead
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10