Author Topic: LEL 2021 Route  (Read 41652 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: LEL2021 - route details
« Reply #225 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »
I think lots of potential riders (like myself) would be interested in the route and its gestation, even at this distance.

The event is still well over year away, possibly two (depending on how this virus-wotsit carries on). 

We already have a number of local riders generously guiding us through "their patch", particularly the new bits, and I'm looking forward to riding out with them later in the year (presuming we'll be allowed to).  Once I get a chance to ride some of the new sections, I hope to keep a rolling update, but right now there isn't enough flesh to it.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #226 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:07:48 pm »
FWIW this is the most precient post I've seen for a very long time. To run in 2021 a decision will have to be made very early in the year, monies laid out, deposits paid, etc. That's a big risk. I'm glad Danial does this so I don't have to. That's a big decision.
The event is still well over year away, possibly two (depending on how this virus-wotsit carries on).   
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #227 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:53:12 pm »
FWIW this is the most precient post I've seen for a very long time. To run in 2021 a decision will have to be made very early in the year, monies laid out, deposits paid, etc. That's a big risk. I'm glad Danial does this so I don't have to. That's a big decision.

Danial mentioned he's exploring the idea over on FB in the last day or so.  However, he said to assume that it's still going ahead in 2021, it's just everyone might have less fitness*.

* so those hills are going to feel bigger than ever  :demon:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: LEL 2021 Route
« Reply #228 on: 26 March, 2020, 03:21:26 pm »
Close (to 1500km) by design.
Why don't you have a read of the LEL 2021 Route thread?  ::-)
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111765.0

Because with all the searching, I couldn't find that thread, so started a new one.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #229 on: 26 March, 2020, 03:41:50 pm »
I believe LRM is now allowing extra time for "hillyness" when the organiser requests it. In light of the additional 3000m sight seeing, will there be a AAAllowance? (hey, more time to enjoy the food at the controls, right?  ;D)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #230 on: 26 March, 2020, 03:44:36 pm »
I believe LRM is now allowing extra time for "hillyness" when the organiser requests it. In light of the additional 3000m sight seeing, will there be a AAAllowance? (hey, more time to enjoy the food at the controls, right?  ;D)

I doubt there will be any allowance, the route is generally still less than the UK average "norm" of 1% and waaaay less than AAA territory (apart from a few places).

TBH you shouldn't need it — the bump from 1400 to 1500 already provides a nice drop in minimum speed that gives quite a few extra hours.

The route is flat.  Apart from the hilly bits, which are quite hilly  ::-)

« Reply #231 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:34:29 pm »
I doubt there will be any allowance, the route is generally still less than the UK average "norm" of 1% and waaaay less than AAA territory (apart from a few places).
TBH you shouldn't need it — the bump from 1400 to 1500 already provides a nice drop in minimum speed that gives quite a few extra hours.
The route is flat.  Apart from the hilly bits, which are quite hilly  ::-)
Clearly you expect 2021 to be hillier than 2017, but to support your generalisation, even the 2017 stretch that might offer the highest climb for distance percentage (going on the profile) - crossing under the M1 going north to the top of Yad Moss going south was 465km and (according to my plot) 4710m: dead on the 1% normal for UK.

« Reply #232 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:06:58 pm »

The 2013 & 2017 editions had 2.75AAA, but not sure exactly how that was arrived at. As I recall, when reviewing the new assessment tool, the ~600km section north of the Tees was just under the AAA threshold, I suspect the new route will be adding more distance than climbing so unlikely to qualify.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #233 on: 02 April, 2020, 02:12:57 pm »
The 2013 & 2017 editions had 2.75AAA, but not sure exactly how that was arrived at. As I recall, when reviewing the new assessment tool, the ~600km section north of the Tees was just under the AAA threshold, I suspect the new route will be adding more distance than climbing so unlikely to qualify.

It's for a 100km section around Edinburgh.

There's very little LEL happening at the moment. We usually have this lull around now, once the vent is framed but before we start to organise the event itself. At the moment I'm working to a 2021 event but will be exploring postponing until 2022. I can't do that for a while though, because most of the schools are closed.

« Reply #234 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:33:40 pm »

IIRC we were still "testing" & "tuning" the new tool at the time the 2017 route was planned, and the merest tweak of the settings (or even of how accurately the route was drawn to follow the roads) could yield AAA values as low as zero points and as high as 10 points.    I rather suspect 2.75 for was selected for consistency with 2017 because the Lincolnshire Wolds were insufficiently lumpy
(click to show/hide)

bairn again

« Reply #235 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:02:30 pm »

There's very little LEL happening at the moment.

If the team are still pondering the route from Dunfermline HS to the Edinburgh bypass its something that Im reasonably well placed to do even  while were under current restrictions as I can still get out for an hour or so at routechecking pace.

To recap -

Heres what ridewithgps gives as the default https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32261019 37km.  Loads of flaws.  Nobody would sensibly suggest going this way.

Heres the shortest distance I can establish https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32261043 33.3km.  Doable, crosses the tramline at 90 deg but the bit on the A90 would be horrid esp on a weekday.

Here is my suggestion https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32260975 36.5km. 

No tramlines
No huge cobbles (Im sure but can check)
A close up of Holyrood Palace, Parliament & Arthurs Seat.

Doesnt add huge distance and from the Commonwealth Pool its the standard Edinburgh Road Club route south out the city.  Ferry Rd and Picardy Place isnt anybodys idea of dream cycling I'll grant you but at least these junctions have traffic lights   

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #236 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:13:23 pm »

There's very little LEL happening at the moment.

If the team are still pondering the route from Dunfermline HS to the Edinburgh bypass its something that Im reasonably well placed to do even  while were under current restrictions as I can still get out for an hour or so at routechecking pace.

To recap -

Heres what ridewithgps gives as the default https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32261019 37km.  Loads of flaws.  Nobody would sensibly suggest going this way.

Heres the shortest distance I can establish https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32261043 33.3km.  Doable, crosses the tramline at 90 deg but the bit on the A90 would be horrid esp on a weekday.

Here is my suggestion https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32260975 36.5km. 

No tramlines
No huge cobbles (Im sure but can check)
A close up of Holyrood Palace, Parliament & Arthurs Seat.

Doesnt add huge distance and from the Commonwealth Pool its the standard Edinburgh Road Club route south out the city.  Ferry Rd and Picardy Place isnt anybodys idea of dream cycling I'll grant you but at least these junctions have traffic lights

Thanks BA, that's useful info.  Alwyn has been up to Edinburgh and ridden through the city, I hope to get up later this year to ride a variety of alternatives between Brae Park and Holyrood to make sure the final route is safe, scenic and worthwhile.  If the traffic next year is the same as it is at the moment, we'd probably have the city to ourselves ...

« Reply #237 on: 05 April, 2020, 10:03:30 am »
Likewise if you need any help fine tuning the Dunfermline bit I am happy to help.

This is the route I would use to get to the FRB from Dunfermline High School - it avoids/minimises the A985 and Queensferry Road in Dunfermline both of which can be unpleasantly busy. Of those two routes, the back road route down Grange Road is probably preferrable as long as you watch out for glass in the underpass (I was thinking some of us volunteering at the high school could probably go out and sweep the underpass)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32278432
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #238 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:34:44 am »
Likewise if you need any help fine tuning the Dunfermline bit I am happy to help.

This is the route I would use to get to the FRB from Dunfermline High School - it avoids/minimises the A985 and Queensferry Road in Dunfermline both of which can be unpleasantly busy. Of those two routes, the back road route down Grange Road is probably preferrable as long as you watch out for glass in the underpass (I was thinking some of us volunteering at the high school could probably go out and sweep the underpass)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32278432

Thanks, Mary.

« Reply #239 on: 07 April, 2020, 02:27:08 pm »
Also just remembered that there is a mahoosive housing development planned just off Grange road

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/781271/green-light-for-massive-dunfermline-development/amp/

There is no sign of any works just now but I guess there is the potential for Grange road to be much busier depending on when they start and if they use other access roads.
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #240 on: 07 April, 2020, 02:32:29 pm »
Also just remembered that there is a mahoosive housing development planned just off Grange road

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/781271/green-light-for-massive-dunfermline-development/amp/

There is no sign of any works just now but I guess there is the potential for Grange road to be much busier depending on when they start and if they use other access roads.

Thanks for the headsup, Mary  :thumbsup: 

We'll assess the risks closer to the date, but good to know in advance.