Author Topic: Endomondo no more  (Read 1170 times)

Endomondo no more
« on: 15 November, 2020, 08:23:54 pm »
I've been using Endomondo as my workout tracker, for both cycling and running, for about a decade now.
It was acquired by Under Armour some time ago, despite them also owning Map My Run and Map My Ride, and the inevitable is now happening. Endomondo is being 'retired' at the end of the year.
I've tried Map My Run and I don't like the audio feedback. It also doesn't give you the 'best distances' figures which Endomondo does (the fastest 1k, 1 mile, 3k and so on in a longer run).
I have been paying for Endomondo, so don't mind in principle doing so for the 'pro' version of something else, but I want it to be right and to be worth the cash.
Does the panel have any suggestions?

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Re: Endomondo no more
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:30:25 am »
strava?

No, seriously, it isn't terrible. Even the free version gives you fastest 1k, 5km etc and your personal stats to date.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:07:24 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been put of Strava in the past because of the competitive way some people use it, but I am now giving it a go and it does seem to do most of what I need. I will have a look at the paid-for version once I get settled.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:47:14 pm »
If you set all your privacy settings then nobody knows you are even on Strava.  My wife uses it as her log.  She has one friend (me) and has privacy turned on.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:54:20 pm »
I used Strava "silently" for ages, before finally "coming out" and posting rides publicly.

We (fboab and I) both ditched Endomondo pretty sharpish when they (Under Armor) became so clearly pro-Trump.

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:08:52 pm »
I have my Strava stuff set to private by default. Then expose the ones I want to “followers”.  In normal years my only public rides are usually audaxes. But this year I’m making most of my rides visible to “followers”. I’m not back on the turbo yet, but although they sync to Strava to act as an exercise log, they stay private.