Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2508493 times)

simonp

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14600 on: 29 November, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »
I had an interaction with a cop in February 2008 as I waited at a red light. I was congratulated on my lights, high vis, and helmet. Guess he didn't notice the lack of pedal reflectors.

I've ditched the helmet and high vis since.

« Reply #14601 on: 29 November, 2013, 03:40:25 pm »
As I was driving near work this morning (in Hemel Hempstead) at 7:10am in a 40 zone a person on a BSO wobbled out from the turning on the left into the centre of the lane before heading for the kerb. Unlit, no reflectors, no hi-viz or reflectives - parka with the hood up. As I drove past I saw that his (for it was a he, travelling barely above walking pace as it was uphill) right hand was holding a thermos coffee mug  ::-) After I passed I saw him wobble across the road into the next turning on the right.  That twat counts as a cyclist to most people in cars.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Phil W

« Reply #14602 on: 29 November, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
Se hit 10c yesterday and was still 8.5c at 20:00, so warm enough for shorts but I have a warm top on.

???

Se is solid at both those temperatures - or have you found a clever way of measuring temperature with a light meter?

Clearly the context means I wasn't referring to an element in the periodic table. SE - South East.

« Reply #14603 on: 02 December, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »
Loads and loads of cyclists on the road today. I'm not sure what was the reason, but on my South to North run into South Kensington today I was consistently among about a dozen cyclists until I turned off to head over Albert Bridge.

I have never worked out why it is less popular than Chelsea Bridge.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14604 on: 03 December, 2013, 09:55:04 am »
Busy this morning but a nice day for it. Lots of police around on the junctions again. They seem to be altering the ones they are at as well. Not that I ever trouble them!

« Reply #14605 on: 03 December, 2013, 11:14:34 am »
I was outside King's Cross station yesterday morning during rush hour, on my way home after staying overnight at a local hotel after a late night concert at Wembley (no way to get the last tube on a Sunday; Friday or Saturday we could have made it home).

I saw what remains of the ghost bike for Deep Lee.  As I sat in a local coffee shop having breakfast I was watching all the traffic.  The speed and density was shocking, even to me, and I commute in London, but in SW1, and have the Victoria gyratory and Parliament Square as the nasty bits.  That junction outside Kings Cross, where Grays Inn Road, Euston Road, and Pentonville Road come together, was in a league of its own in a very bad way.

« Reply #14606 on: 03 December, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
Any junction where you need to have particular regard for confused motorists is in that same class. Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch, Victoria, Vauxhall etc etc I think it is fairly true that we cyclists adapt to the ones we know at our own peril, it is only when we ride an unfamiliar one that we treat it automatically with sufficient respect. You develop a riding style adapted to those used to the junctions and risk getting caught out by those who don't follow the "rules".

That's often the case in a wider context, but most critical at these junctions.

FWIW, I'm quite happy riding through Kings Cross, but then it falls into the familiar category for me.

« Reply #14607 on: 03 December, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
There did seem to be a few one way streets with exemptions for cyclists around there, but if I was unfamilar with the area I wouldn't want to get spat out at that junction (which one of those roads nearly does).

As you say, there can be some reasonable back street routes in parts of London, and small pieces of infrastructure that work, but then huge barriers like Hyde Park Corner or Kings Cross or Holborn.

If I had taken the other job 2 years ago instead of this one, I would have been in Shoreditch High Street so may have got used to that area by now - cutting through the back streets near Old Street would have bought you out by the office.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14608 on: 04 December, 2013, 12:29:28 pm »
Dear silly woman on a bike, don't undertake me and then 'bloody hell' at me because I'm a) turning left in a left turn lane and b) the only reason I wasn't 10 meters in front of you was because the bus in front of me was taking the tight corner very slowly.
You were the one doing the 'I want to be squashed' manoeuvre so stop bitching at me! Grr.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14609 on: 05 December, 2013, 08:50:16 am »
Blimey.  It was a bit "Winnie The Pooh" this morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #14610 on: 05 December, 2013, 09:13:44 am »
On the commute this morning I was glad that
A. I decided yesterday that flying to Ireland this morning to spend the day outside was a bit daft, so let's not do it.
B. Cycling to work today would be a bit daft, so. let's not do it.
C. The great big solar panel on the pavement by our office had arrived there before I did.

I'm not quite so happy that all the travel network in Scotland seems to have shut down just after I arrived at work...

« Reply #14611 on: 05 December, 2013, 09:58:33 am »
Slippery rail conditions on Southern this morning .......  :facepalm:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14612 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:19:53 am »
It is bin day for most of South Brum today.  The masses of rubbish flying around the streets wasn't the major problem, (although I'm always very wary of plastic carrier bags flying into my rear mech).  No, the major problem was empty recycling boxes flying through the air at head height.  :o

« Reply #14613 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:21:51 am »
Can I just be the first to say that I am looking forward to tonight's commute home.
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #14614 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
The weather is strong wind and rain. Decided that driving kids to school was prudent then on to work. Why do people put up with the crappiness of short car commutes?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14615 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
I didn't ride, but I did see a large Police presence at every point of the junction of Southwark Street and Borough High Street.  Police Officers (mainly), and a couple of PCSOs were talking to cyclists stopped at the lights.  Despite loitering a bit, I couldn't hear the content fo the discussions, so moved on.  No motorists were approached while I watched.

I should perhaps add that there are no ASLs on that junction (though perhaps there should be).
Getting there...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14616 on: 05 December, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »
Whee!  The last 10 metres of my commute had a tailwind.  Best not mention the other 25km.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14617 on: 05 December, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »
Windy.  Really windy.  Tonight might be fun  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14618 on: 05 December, 2013, 02:33:25 pm »
It is bin day for most of South Brum today.  The masses of rubbish flying around the streets wasn't the major problem, (although I'm always very wary of plastic carrier bags flying into my rear mech).  No, the major problem was empty recycling boxes flying through the air at head height.  :o

Also note that "My recycling boxes have blown away / been destroyed by the binmen / been nicked by students, how do I get replacements?" is conspicuously absent from the council's recycling FAQ.

We've only had a blue (paper and card) box with giant cracks that mean you can't pick it up for a couple of years now.  Useless.

(Mind you, in Sheffield we had proper wheelybins for the recycling, and at one point they all blew away.  One of our car's rear light clusters was collateral damage.)

« Reply #14619 on: 05 December, 2013, 04:47:04 pm »
Also note that "My recycling boxes have blown away / been destroyed by the binmen / been nicked by students, how do I get replacements?" is conspicuously absent from the council's recycling FAQ.

"That will be £20 for a replacement, please" was what I was quoted by my local council. I did get it replaced for free, but only by proving that their system for replacing boxes damaged by the binmen (which is supposed to be free) couldn't possibly work because the forms that the binmen were supposed to record losses on had never been issued to the bin lorries in the first place.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14620 on: 05 December, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »
That noise when I set off this evening was ice on my tyres rubbing the mudguards. It was wasn't there this morning.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14621 on: 05 December, 2013, 05:50:09 pm »
Well, that was rare.  The wind very gradually veered during the day through about 90 degrees. But that was enough to ensure that I had wind assistance for not only most of my journey to work, but also most of the way home.  :D
About as rare as rocking horse shit.  ;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14622 on: 05 December, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »
So your the one who nicked my tail wind. That 90o turn meant it went from trying to blow me off the road on the way in to trying to blow me backwards on the way home :(

The hail straight in my face at 50mph was a nice touch too ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #14623 on: 05 December, 2013, 06:05:38 pm »
So your the one who nicked my tail wind.

Sorry about that, but I do believe that it was my turn. :)

Phil W

« Reply #14624 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:10:05 pm »
Brilliant moon and Jupiter visible in sky on way home tonight and nice tail wind. A few trees down but car traffic was nightmare according to wife who got home an hour after me. Glad I was on bike today.