Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134441 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #250 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »
BetFred are offering evens that OD won't make it to the pub. They are also offering:

- 2/1 that he says the missus won't let him

- 3/1 that the cat dies and he claims he's overcome with grief and unable to cycle

- 4/1 he'll claim that a national shortage of pickled eggs meant that he had to stay at home furiously whipping up a batch in his kitchen

- 16/1 that he'll claim to have been abducted by aliens on the way to the ride, hence his non-appearance.

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #251 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »
Is OD now a grand-dad?

This has been troubling me.  Son of Oscar strictly speaking is the fruit of Oscar the Orbea's loins as it was his bits that got transferred over to the new frame and thus SoO was born.

I thought about changing my YACF handle to Son of Oscar's Dad but thought it little too complex.

Frankly, I am surprised that this issue wasn't debated by the G20 Leaders.  What's the world's economic crisis compared with my relationship with my evolving bicycles?

I dunno... I think SOD suits you.   ;D

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #252 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:23:33 pm »
BetFred are offering evens that OD won't make it to the pub. They are also offering:

- 2/1 that he says the missus won't let him

- 3/1 that the cat dies and he claims he's overcome with grief and unable to cycle

- 4/1 he'll claim that a national shortage of pickled eggs meant that he had to stay at home furiously whipping up a batch in his kitchen

- 16/1 that he'll claim to have been abducted by aliens on the way to the ride, hence his non-appearance.

;D

;D

We have 2 cats and a gerbil.  You might want to get the odds changed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #253 on: 03 April, 2009, 12:25:03 pm »
Is OD now a grand-dad?

This has been troubling me.  Son of Oscar strictly speaking is the fruit of Oscar the Orbea's loins as it was his bits that got transferred over to the new frame and thus SoO was born.

I thought about changing my YACF handle to Son of Oscar's Dad but thought it little too complex.

Frankly, I am surprised that this issue wasn't debated by the G20 Leaders.  What's the world's economic crisis compared with my relationship with my evolving bicycles?

I dunno... I think SOD suits you.   ;D

I couldn't possibly adopt that handle in case I cramped your style!

« Reply #254 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:19:35 pm »
After a cold, frosty breaths, morning and a warming afternoons riding I will not be at the Viper for the E-EFNRP.  :( Nor will I see the young SOD in action. Going to rest and feed for the WARTY.  :thumbsup:

I recommend the V.I.P.A, Jake the Snake, and Oscar Wilde as fine beverages to consume at the Viper. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #255 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »
After a cold, frosty breaths, morning and a warming afternoons riding I will not be at the Viper for the E-EFNRP.  :( Nor will I see the young SOD in action. Going to rest and feed for the WARTY.  :thumbsup:

I recommend the V.I.P.A, Jake the Snake, and Oscar Wilde as fine beverages to consume at the Viper. 

OK, that's a shame.  Have a good ride tomorrow.

I am all dressed up and ready to go  :thumbsup:

« Reply #256 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »
OD - I am leaving work now. I have a mobile phone and your number - if I get lost (which is always a possibility) I'll call you, otherwise I should be about 45 mins...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #257 on: 04 April, 2009, 07:37:33 am »
They're clearly all still boozin', no report yet!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #258 on: 04 April, 2009, 10:13:34 am »
We returned - fear not.  TOKaMaK is now in Sawbridgeworth waiting to start the WARTY.  We had a great night that wasn't without it's challenges.  Report and pictures a bit later. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #259 on: 04 April, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »
There might only have been two of us but we judged the EMERGENCY Essex Pub Night Ride a great success.

TOKaMaK turned up at mine about 1730 hrs and after a quick bowl of pasta we were ready to hit the road.  Just as we were about to leave we discovered that my front tyre had substantially deflated so Son of Oscar was on his back in seconds for a quick pit stop.  I am a little annoyed with myself as I knew that the front valve was suspect but hadn’t been bothered to change the tube – lesson learnt.

After swinging through Terling we were soon on North Hill.  TOKaMaK took off and I caught up with him in Danbury.  Shortly before we got to Hanningfield Reservoir we had to pull over as TOKaMaK’s chain had managed to jam itself between the chain rings.  My Magic Bag came into it’s own for the first time in the evening.  My riding companion, sterling fellow that he is, has been know to take the piss out of the amount of stuff I lug around with me.  Now his hands were covered in oil he magnanimously accepted a squirt of my anti bacterial hand wash.  It didn’t do much to shift the oil but 99% of germs were dead.

Shortly after we had another minor drama as I hit a pothole and one of my front lights fell off.  It refused to work for the rest of the night but is OK now.  We got to The Viper and set about getting on the outside of pints of Jake the Snake and Oscar Wilde mild.  TOKaMaK did very well sinking about 5 pints.  After my last pub ride and the resultant lapse from sobriety I ended up on halves and had about 3.5 pints in all.  The Viper is an excellent pub, I couldn’t appreciate its woodland setting as it was pitch black when we arrived.  Jimmy the pub dog is cute.

Last orders were rung, we staggered out, mounted up and set off only to return after 50 yards as TOKaMaK’s back tyre was as flat as a witch’s tit. 

Once again the Magic Bag came up trumps, this time with some rubber gloves and a CO2 inflator – which was rubbish.  We had two attempts at fixing the flat and eventually set off.

At Chelmsford we went our separate ways.  I hooned through the sleeping streets guided by the Garmin.  Shortly before Hatfield Peverel my left thigh started to cramp up so I stopped in the car park of the Blue Strawberry for a stretch.

I got home at about 0130 hrs and parked the bike in the kitchen.

This was a classic pub ride.  A decent distance, 46.5 miles for me, and a fast pace averaging 14.5 mph.  Son of Oscar has also done over 30mph after hitting 31.6 mph descending from Danbury.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #260 on: 06 June, 2009, 07:31:04 pm »
We were in the Square & Compasses earlier today and The Current Mrs R remarked that we should perhaps organise another Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub - it was like hearing a nightingale sing!

On the bar there were leaflets for the first Great British Fuller Street Beer and Jazz Festival to be held at the S&C starting on Friday 7th August and culminating on Sunday 9th.  In attendance will be 30 real ales and ciders from around the UK - could be messy  :thumbsup:

I know it's a way off but does anyone fancy a ride out there on the Saturday (day time or evening)?  I know this may not totally qualify as a Friday Night Ride being on a Saturday and perhaps during daylight but I never was much good with detail.  Also, sorry about the forward planning but our social diary is a bit full at the minute.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #261 on: 06 June, 2009, 08:35:23 pm »
This sounds like a very good idea.

Perhaps, in order to keep to the true spirit, as St. Simon of the Wounded Knee taught us, we should start on Friday but not get there until Saturday?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #262 on: 06 June, 2009, 09:01:25 pm »
We were in the Square & Compasses earlier today and The Current Mrs R remarked that we should perhaps organise another Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub - it was like hearing a nightingale sing!

Feeling guilty about your extracurricular EFNRttPs with MO? Posting pics of pickled eggs, crisps, and beers!  :P

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #263 on: 06 June, 2009, 09:51:58 pm »
I have a hankering to do one of these rides. But I wonder if my teetotallism makes them rather pointless! Or does the pub serve a good cup of tea? (is it the one at Hanningfield?)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #264 on: 06 June, 2009, 09:54:20 pm »
No, not the Hanningfields, but Fuller Street.

Streetmap - Homepage

Regulator

« Reply #265 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:09:35 pm »
May I just do a gentle bit of marketing?

Wow and OD - doing anything on 11th July?  Reggie's Ride to Regicide will have pickled eggs and BEER!

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #266 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:33:29 am »
I have a hankering to do one of these rides. But I wonder if my teetotallism makes them rather pointless! Or does the pub serve a good cup of tea? (is it the one at Hanningfield?)

Being teetotal will NOT exclude you!  ;D  The Square & Compasses does very nice tea and coffee.  You'd be very welcome.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #267 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:34:20 am »

Perhaps, in order to keep to the true spirit, as St. Simon of the Wounded Knee taught us, we should start on Friday but not get there until Saturday?

Go on then, hit us with a cunning plan!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #268 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:35:10 am »

Feeling guilty about your extracurricular EFNRttPs with MO? Posting pics of pickled eggs, crisps, and beers!  :P

I'm not sure your little legs would keep up with Mr Oakden  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #269 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:36:04 am »

OH GOD! I walked into that one, didn't I? :-\ :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #270 on: 07 June, 2009, 11:13:06 am »

OH GOD! I walked into that one, didn't I? :-\ :-*

God loves he who tries.  Fortune favours the brave.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #271 on: 07 June, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »
Hmm... Saturday 8th August ... I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be in Manchester that afternoon, so not getting back to Witham until potentially quite late.

On the other hand, if I do arrive back in time to go out, I know where you'll all be :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #272 on: 08 June, 2009, 11:23:24 am »
August!? I'll say yes now, Fuller Street Festival sounds like a right laugh. But you'll need to remind me nearer the time. August!? :P

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #273 on: 08 June, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »
August!? I'll say yes now, Fuller Street Festival sounds like a right laugh. But you'll need to remind me nearer the time. August!? :P
There speaks a man who seems to be hankering after another pub outing somewhere in the intervening time.  I'd certainly be up for one, August!? is, after all, practically next year ...

... as in initial suggestion which may be too short notice(?), but how about this Friday (12th June)?  Venue to be determined (A leaflet of best real ale pubs from the local CAMRA chapter just dropped through my door, including the following: White Hart @ Margaretting Tye?  Leather Bottle @ Blackmore? Three Elms @ Chignal St James? ... and many more).  I'm open to suggestions... all of the above look easily do-able from Chelmsford, and reachable from Witham too (e.g. to Margaretting Tye via North Hill).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #274 on: 08 June, 2009, 02:56:37 pm »
Can't do this Friday (12th). I'm heading into the big smoke for a bit of a shindig. 19th I'm heading up to Edinburgh for the weekend, and 26th I'm going to Bristol. July 3rd could be a goer then* - night before the Dun Run!

[Edit] If we take in the Leather Bottle at Blackmore, we could also stop at the Viper. :thumbsup:

*I might as well just hold out 'til August! ::-)