Author Topic: French train - Calais to Paris with bike(s)  (Read 5346 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
French train - Calais to Paris with bike(s)
« on: 26 July, 2023, 10:24:13 am »
I'm tearing my hair out with the SNCF and other websites trying to find trains for this journey - you put in the details and up pop a load of answers that are wrong!!

I'm trying to get from Calais (Ville/Town, not Frethun) to Paris Gare du Nord leaving around 0900 on a weekday with a bike (non-folding, not boxed/bagged) - the TGV/OUI hi-speed trains don't take bikes so it should be the TERs BUT can I find any relaible info . .   Trainline et al only give TGVs as an answer

Has anyone actually managed this - and if so where did you book/buy tickets etc.?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: French train - Calais to Paris with bike(s)
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2023, 10:27:45 am »
Is the Man in Seat 61 any help?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2023, 10:32:42 am »
Is the Man in Seat 61 any help?

No - he must have gone to the loo!      His info about bikes is only very general with just high-level policy stuff.

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2023, 11:09:38 am »
Bahn.de has an “only local trains” option that shows a TER route at 9:20, changing in Boulogne.

(“Sprachauswahl“ in the menu to change to English)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2023, 11:10:05 am »
I've had a poke around in the "SNCF Connect" app (on android) and have managed to get it to show me a TER from Calais Ville to Paris Nord at 09:20, arriving at 13:34 with one change (at Amiens - select "via Amiens" to get TER trains and not TGV)

The important thing to remember when booking a TER is to *NOT* add a bicycle when searching for a journey. If you try to add a bike, it won't show TER trains as bikes are not bookable.

I have also managed to get the Trainline app to show the same journey - input start as Calais Ville, destination as Paris Nord and the via (in small letters immediately under destination) as Amiens.

Hope this helps!

(Edit to say that you can purchase tickets in either of these apps)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2023, 02:47:14 pm »
I've had a poke around in the "SNCF Connect" app (on android) and have managed to get it to show me a TER from Calais Ville to Paris Nord at 09:20, arriving at 13:34 with one change (at Amiens - select "via Amiens" to get TER trains and not TGV)

The important thing to remember when booking a TER is to *NOT* add a bicycle when searching for a journey. If you try to add a bike, it won't show TER trains as bikes are not bookable.

I have also managed to get the Trainline app to show the same journey - input start as Calais Ville, destination as Paris Nord and the via (in small letters immediately under destination) as Amiens.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks. That's perfect - clever wheeze to put in an intermediate station to rule out the TGVs - I just KNEW there was an answer!

The 0920 -1334 works a treat as the plan (but not until May next year) is train to Folkestone West or Dover and cross by Eurotunnel Bike Service or ferry - overnight in Calais - train to Paris and then ride about 20 miles that afternoon to the first overnight on the Seine a Velo route to Honfleur - and then on to Caen/Ouistreham for the overnight ferry to Portsmouth and train home.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2023, 03:54:14 pm »
I've managed to find direct TER K16

It's only 3 times a day...

K21 to Amiens then K11 gives you more options, and Amiens is quite nice IIRC

And its easiest to see on the TER Hauts de France page (formerly Nord-Pas de Calais)
https://www.ter.sncf.com/hauts-de-france

You can also filter to Train REgionale so it's just TER combinations it shows but may wipe out options with longer stop overs at Amiens

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2023, 05:15:42 pm »
I've managed to find direct TER K16

It's only 3 times a day...

K21 to Amiens then K11 gives you more options, and Amiens is quite nice IIRC

And its easiest to see on the TER Hauts de France page (formerly Nord-Pas de Calais)
https://www.ter.sncf.com/hauts-de-france

You can also filter to Train REgionale so it's just TER combinations it shows but may wipe out options with longer stop overs at Amiens

Thanks - those times don't work . . .  but at least I now have a path through the SNCF jungle!

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:24:41 pm »

Hope this helps!

Many thanks. That's perfect - clever wheeze to put in an intermediate station to rule out the TGVs - I just KNEW there was an answer!

The 0920 -1334 works a treat as the plan (but not until May next year) is train to Folkestone West or Dover and cross by Eurotunnel Bike Service or ferry - overnight in Calais - train to Paris and then ride about 20 miles that afternoon to the first overnight on the Seine a Velo route to Honfleur - and then on to Caen/Ouistreham for the overnight ferry to Portsmouth and train home.

The site that I use (I am not a regular train user but a lot of planning was done with this one) is this one https://www.horaires-de-trains.fr/horaires-ter.html .
I have a couple of warnings. First you need to know the correct name of the stations that you are interested in, otherwise you will go round in circles getting nowhere. Don't forget to tick the TER only box if that's what you want.
Second if the timetables aren't out for the dates you are planning on you will not get an answer (I think it says "Pas disponible" or something like that IIRC. I had a lot of this planning for Britanny, the timetables were only for a couple of months forward and certainly not for the next year. Asking at the end of december or beginning of january for times at the beginning of may didn't work for Britanny/Pays de Loire).
Third check the region's policy for bike transporting. Some will refuse to carry bikes during commuter rush hours, except folded and bagged folders - they can't refuse those. 9h20 might well fall foul of this (just, one would expect limitations 7h00 - 9h00 but not after that), most of the time you won't have a problem - until you come up against the jobsworth who applies the rules (or the commuter who wants to make trouble). The editor of The 200 magazine reckons you can always get away with breaking the rule, I am a bit more cautious (which is why my folder is turning into my principal tourer!). That said, in may we didn't even see a controller, I could have taken the full tourer!
I have always understood that you don't book a TER, just turn up and buy your ticket at the machine in the station (and leave a bit of time for understanding how the machine works, at Nantes I nearly missed my train dealing with an uncooperative machine).

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2023, 07:41:01 pm »
Thanks for the tips - although we're planning for next year we don't expect to be able to book trains until about 8 weeks ahead (we've used trains for people and a van for bikes the last couple of years and Trainline (or Capitaine Train as was) for bookings without a problem - just people meant TGVs were OK)

I've stored all the info away ready for booking in due course along with the Channel crossing.

« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2023, 04:14:57 pm »
jumping in  here rather than starting a new thread as closely related to the above topic.
Robgul Im going in circles too trying to find a way via rail to get from Vannes to Paris then on to Utrecht for an event.
The bikes fitted with fenders and rear panniers, dynamo lights etc so unbroken down and rideable across Paris etc is a must.
Seems the SNCF to Paris is doable, but then the Thalys trains need bikes boxed up.
Anyone know of a work around or is it a case of give up and fly/drive.
often lost.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2023, 05:12:06 pm »
I have continued to grapple with various ideas with a bike and trains in France (and into Belgium) - it seems that the "trick" is to ask for routes with intermediate stops that are only served by local trains (viz the Calais - Amiens - Paris example up-thread)

This may be useful as a guide to all SNCF lines with colours differentiating train types http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Europe%20World/Resources/SNCF-Route-Map-2016-09.jpg

This is the best I found for Belgium http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Europe%20World/Resources/Belgium1.gif

Once you get into Holland it's probably easier given the bike culture.   

. . . perhaps Dr Strabismus (whom God preserve) of Utrecht may be able to help*

*you'll need to be old enough to remember Beachcomber and the TV show fronted by Spike Milligan!!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2023, 05:40:15 pm »
jumping in  here rather than starting a new thread as closely related to the above topic.
Robgul Im going in circles too trying to find a way via rail to get from Vannes to Paris then on to Utrecht for an event.
The bikes fitted with fenders and rear panniers, dynamo lights etc so unbroken down and rideable across Paris etc is a must.
Seems the SNCF to Paris is doable, but then the Thalys trains need bikes boxed up.

It's possible! Just depends how many days** you want to take over the journey.  (** May be a slight exaggeration, but sadly only slight!)

Ferreting around in the SNCF Connect app, there are *some* TER trains to Aulnoye (near Valenciennes) which have connections through to Erquelinnes in Belgium.
From there, you'd be in the hands of SNCB/NMBS via Charleroi and Brussels, but I think you'd be OK with a bike. Checking the NS website, reveals that it is permissible to take a bike on the Intercity Direct International service from Brussels, presumably changing at Rotterdam Centraal for Utrecht.
The downsides with this route:
- There's only 3 TER services a day from Paris Nord to Aulnoye - welcome to SNCF's attitude to non-TGV services!
- There's a lot of changes along the way, increasing the possibility of missed connections.
- Needing to deal with 3 different train operators and their ticketing systems as the only international tickets assume the use of a TGV/Thalys service.

Another alternative I can think of is to take the TER from Paris Nord to Calais Ville (some direct, some changing at Amiens or Le Touquet),
the TER connection to Dunkerque,
cycle across the border to De Panne in Belgium (uses a cycle route laid on the route of the former railway line between the two!),
train from De Panne to Antwerpen Centraal,
change to the IC-Direct to Rotterdam,
thence to Utrecht.

robgul

« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2023, 05:52:12 pm »

It's possible! Just depends how many days** you want to take over the journey.  (** May be a slight exaggeration, but sadly only slight!)

Ferreting around in the SNCF Connect app, there are *some* TER trains to Aulnoye (near Valenciennes) which have connections through to Erquelinnes in Belgium.
From there, you'd be in the hands of SNCB/NMBS via Charleroi and Brussels, but I think you'd be OK with a bike. Checking the NS website, reveals that it is permissible to take a bike on the Intercity Direct International service from Brussels, presumably changing at Rotterdam Centraal for Utrecht.
- There's only 3 TER services a day from Paris Nord to Aulnoye - welcome to SNCF's attitude to non-TGV services!
- There's a lot of changes along the way, increasing the possibility of missed connections.
- Needing to deal with 3 different train operators and their ticketing systems as the only international tickets assume the use of a TGV/Thalys service.

Another alternative I can think of is to take the TER from Paris Nord to Calais Ville (some direct, some changing at Amiens or Le Touquet),
cycle across the border to De Panne in Belgium (uses a cycle route laid on the route of the former railway line between the two!),
thence to Utrecht.

If you ride on the road there's a coffee shop in the old border/customs building in the middle of the road (I was fined there in 1971 for not having a GB plate on my car back when they checked UK passports and a "green card" for the car insurance!)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #14 on: 11 September, 2023, 05:59:22 pm »

thence to Utrecht.

If you ride on the road there's a coffee shop in the old border/customs building in the middle of the road (I was fined there in 1971 for not having a GB plate on my car back when they checked UK passports and a "green card" for the car insurance!)

That's pretty much where the railway crossed the road (right on the border) and is where the excellent quality French cycle path finishes and you drop back onto the road for the last bit into De Panne. (other routes to De Panne are available, etc.)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:00:14 pm »
messing around on db and using my memory of border corssings suggests

Paris - Rouen by TER
Rouen - Lille by TER
Lille/Rijsel - Kortrijk to get over the border
Kortrijk to Antwerp
Antwerp to Amsterdam

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2023, 06:01:47 pm »
This trick provides some interesting options for the journey above.

Local transport under “mode of transport”.

Bahn.de has an “only local trains” option that shows a TER route at 9:20, changing in Boulogne.

(“Sprachauswahl“ in the menu to change to English)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2023, 07:53:21 pm »
messing around on db and using my memory of border corssings suggests

Paris - Rouen by TER
Rouen - Lille by TER

Paris (Nord) - Amiens - Lille will be quicker (and shorter (also with more trains than the 3 or 4 a day from Rouen!)), plus you'll have to go through Amiens from Rouen anyway. Good call with the route via Mouscron and Kortrijk though, I'd forgotten about that one. (And yes, I have used it - several times!)  :-[

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2023, 09:58:48 pm »
Can you still take a bike in any French train as long as it's inside a sort of bag? (Called a housse if i remember correctly.)
We did this years ago: it's tricky but possible and we were camping so had loads of kit. I think we bought some sort of garden rubbish bags in a garden centre and put all the camping kit in there, the bikes were wrapped in tarpaulin we bought, parcel tape is your friend.
It takes maybe 40 minutes to get the bike down to size. It's all an incredible pain, of course, but we did get on the trains we wanted to: and they included Eurostar, which tells you how long ago it was!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2023, 10:03:59 pm »
Can you still take a bike in any French train as long as it's inside a sort of bag? (Called a housse if i remember correctly.)

In August I took a night train from the south of France to Paris for PBP (and back again). No bikes are allowed on that night train, but no one said anything at Latour-de-Carol or Paris when I arrived with my bike in a Decathlon bag.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2023, 10:34:40 pm »
TER are free bikes without reservation; in theory there is a limit. Intercites are €10 reservation fee (I avoided these)

Based on my experience last week

« Reply #21 on: 12 September, 2023, 06:51:02 am »
Right, there's a trick from Gare du Nord to the Netherlands
Usual I use the TER from Gare du Nord to Maubeuge, then the local Belgian train to Charleroi. From there on, all IC and local trains take bikes.
BUT, Bahn.de doesn't know this, so you're stuck using most search engines (since they use bahn.de to search). So you have to untick the box 'bike' and untick the box 'ICE/TGV' deep in the depths of the selection menu. Then you'll find a connection using trains where you don't have to box your bike.
On the TER your bike is free. You'll either need an international bike ticket from the last French railway station to Utrecht, or you just do it in bits, Belgian biketicket (some railway stations just across the border work fine for that) and a Dutch bike ticket.
Belgium has no (enforced) blocked time for biketickets, the Netherlands has, during weekdays in the rushhour (except july/august).
But in Belgium, there's another exception, you're not allowed to enter/exit a bike at Brussels Central railwaystation. Use Brussels-South(Midi) or North in stead.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:11:08 am »
I'm tearing my hair out with the SNCF and other websites trying to find trains for this journey - you put in the details and up pop a load of answers that are wrong!!

I'm trying to get from Calais (Ville/Town, not Frethun) to Paris Gare du Nord leaving around 0900 on a weekday with a bike (non-folding, not boxed/bagged) - the TGV/OUI hi-speed trains don't take bikes so it should be the TERs BUT can I find any relaible info . .   Trainline et al only give TGVs as an answer

Has anyone actually managed this - and if so where did you book/buy tickets etc.?

If you use the SCNF site, try using this link:  https://www.sncf-voyageurs.com/en/travel-with-us/booking-and-itinerary/itinerary/

Use the 'Untick all' function and then just tick 'Transilien / RER' and 'TER'.  These will bring up the services that you can use with unpacked bikes (you can only take unpacked bikes on Transilien trains after 9.30a/m. though on weekdays).

Calais Ville to Paris Gare du Nord is about 4 hours.

The staff in the ticket office at Calais Ville speak English and are very helpful.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #23 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:25:38 am »
Re TER. The trains are regional. The rules are made by each region and applied accordingly. Thus in Brittany in summer you need a bike ticket to take a bike (unbagged) in a TER. Just over the "border" in Pays de Loire you don't. The degree to which the rules are enforced also depends on available personnel. Going from Redon through Nantes and up to Sucé sur Erdre last may I religiously bagged my folder and didn't even have my ticket checked, on either train or in the stations, no controllers in sight on the trains.
 The editor of the "200" reckons that you can always travel with the bike as is, just make sure that your chain isn't going to spread grease on another traveller's luggage and don't obstruct the passageways. His opinion was that the worst that can happen is occasionally being asked to wait for the next train. I wish I shared his optimism! (Of course if you are depending on connections being asked to wait for the next train could be catastrophic!)

« Reply #24 on: 12 September, 2023, 10:58:53 am »
Blimey they don't make it easy do they. The hoops to jump through and lack of clarity look more onerous than actually riding RATN.
The bike I want to take would be set up with aerobars, rear pannier rack, chunky mudguards. I can see now some guard giving me the head shake and missing crucial connections.
What a shame, so much for progressive mainland Europe and carbon footprints. It's just going to be more reliable to fly a day early and build up the bike at the other end.
If I had more time I'd go a few days early and weave through the hurdles, but I don't want to risk missing the event. I'd happily ride a couple of hundred km of so but its 1000 km to Utrecht from our place.
Thanks for all the input and sorry its not going to work out.
I'd planned for us to ride the train to Donaueschengen via Paris from Vannes later in the Summer when we ride the Danube, but that's obviously going to need a rethink too.

often lost.