Author Topic: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.  (Read 11107 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Frozen Planet. Another ace from the BBC.
« Reply #100 on: 13 December, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
Why bother going to the Arctic at all? Why not do it all with CGI?

Because you still get to see polar bear cubs (awwww!) for real.  Real den, real mum, real cubs.  The den's just in a zoo.

As far as I can tell, this is just trollbait to get that certain subset of the population who go "editing! music! it's not PURE!" whenever they see wildlife telly.  Presumably this group want to see a lot of waiting and ugly "nearly got it" footage.   ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 13 December, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »
They could go easier on the music, now that you mention it ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 13 December, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »

As far as I can tell, this is just trollbait to get that certain subset of the population who go "editing! music! it's not PURE!" whenever they see wildlife telly. 

I also wonder how much of the 'outrage' (I think it was big in the tabloids like the Mail and Mirror) is because of the 'environmentalist' angle of the Frozen Planet series - even though, actually, it's been pretty factual and balanced.  They weren't up in arms over the time-lapse sequences in the Life of Plants. The cynic in me wonders if it's a way to try and undermine the credibility of the whole series, so that the masses can disregard any environmental message that crops up.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #103 on: 13 December, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
The DG reckons it's linked to the BBC's Leveson enquiry coverage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/13/frozen-planet-bbc-leveson?newsfeed=true

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #104 on: 13 December, 2011, 08:37:14 pm »
All the trickery doesn't bother me in the slightest and I don't notice the music.

One thing, though, that I would like to see would be the Northern Nights in real time. Every time (and I mean every time) they show them they're speeded up.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #105 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »
All the trickery doesn't bother me in the slightest and I don't notice the music.

One thing, though, that I would like to see would be the Northern Nights in real time. Every time (and I mean every time) they show them they're speeded up.

I've never seen the Northern Lights, and would love to, because I simply can't believe in them on telly. I have no idea if they are speeded up (I'll take your word for it), but they are the one thing I've never been able to see without thinking 'Nah, that must be an effect'.

I suspect this means if I ever do see them, they will blow my mind.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk