Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474226 times)

Bairn Again

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #950 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »
Another observation from Arrivee, regarding the accusation that an organiser has cheated.

Surely the most appropriate approach would have been for the validation team to have contacted the organiser concerned and, more importantly, to have included that fact in the announcement while still preserving confidentiality by not stating the organisers name.   

That may well have happened but to exclude this point from the announcement means that a finger of suspicion has been tacitly pointed at every AUK organiser.  If the accused organiser has not been contacted following the complaint then I don't believe it was appropriate to make the announcement at all in Arrivee.   

Interesting to see that this announcement is right next to an appeal for an organiser for the 2013 National 400.  Perhaps it should have had had an advertising strapline "Roll up, roll up, organise audax events and be accused of cheating...."

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #951 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »
I don't know why, but my Arrivee hasn't arrivee'd.

Lycra Man

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #952 on: 05 February, 2012, 08:00:56 pm »
I don't know why, but my Arrivee hasn't arrivee'd.

Probably holed up in a 24 hour garage forecourt until the snow subsides...

« Reply #953 on: 05 February, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »
Pas encore arrive, arrivee! Could well be holed up in the snow somewhere in la Belle France, 4 inches this am and -4...Only wish the mtb wasnt still in Wales  :-\
Mind you, its probably a good thing as I dont need reminding how poor my form has been since Easter 2011....

« Reply #954 on: 06 February, 2012, 02:33:40 pm »
Yeh!  ;D Just started reading mine and have discovered I WON something at the AGM  :thumbsup: This is the 1st I've heard about it but, hey, what a nice surprise  ;D x lots.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Chris S

« Reply #955 on: 06 February, 2012, 03:01:33 pm »
Yeh!  ;D Just started reading mine and have discovered I WON something at the AGM  :thumbsup: This is the 1st I've heard about it but, hey, what a nice surprise  ;D x lots.

That's terrible. You won something, and nobody told you? Not even an email?

Surely AUK can do better than that? I mean - it's not like the club is strapped for cash...  :-\

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #956 on: 06 February, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »
He was on PBP, and had two arms/hands. I heard that he was out of time at about 400km, so got some rest and turned round and rode home - an epic achievement in itself. I passed him on the way back cranking his way up a big hill on the way to Tinteniac (IIRC) in the middle of the night.
I saw this guy too. I mentioned him to my brother who is also a hand cyclist. Shame he didn't finish - hell of a ride though - 800km using your arms.

Alf

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #957 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

That's terrible. You won something, and nobody told you? Not even an email?

Surely AUK can do better than that? I mean - it's not like the club is strapped for cash...  :-\

But Directors / Committee keep awards quiet - I had no idea I had picked up my VETS points do dah - although they did know that I was going to be in York - maybe if they know you are not going to be there - they should speak to you.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #958 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
My club states you should claim for awards (of the various sorts), which I think is a better system. The vast majority of riders in a position to win an award will be in a good position to know about it. If you're not sure (cos you don't know exactly what other riders have done), you claim anyway.

Sadly they don't stick to this 100%, which possibly gives the wrong impression - I guess neither system is perfect.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #959 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:57:52 am »
Hey - I wasn't complaining  :hand: I only posted because I felt so chuffed at seeing my name (spelt correctly too  :thumbsup:) in print. For some reason I haven't received the Handbook (now in the post from the kind Mr W) so it was a nice surprise.

But, the Mick Latimer is always a year behind and is only relevant to those keeping the Mileater diaries anyway. So, no more - please.

Great magazine as ever - really enjoyed the Doing it Proper and the RRTY Attempt reports (read when I couldn't sleep last night); it was good to meet Jonathan on the Heart of England (his 1st 300k I think) and it's great to see he completed his RRTY  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #960 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:30:17 pm »
Well Arrivee finally arrivee'd yesterday. Been busy reading the excellent content, and flicking back and forth to to re-read my name in  the list of SRs.

Chuffed, I am.

Lycra Man

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #961 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
As per schedule the Winter Arrivée (No 115) was distributed by the printers and contained the 2012 Handbook as well, though we have received a few reports of the Handbook not having been included, such as Wobbly, upthread.  If you are one of those members still awaiting this item, please contact MemSec, Mike Wigley (mike<at>PeakAudax.co.uk) for him to send you a copy. Hopefully, there are few instances of this, but if you can pass this message on to those who are not on-line, or rarely check their e-mail, we shall be very grateful - as, no doubt, they will be as well.

Even more occasionally, Arrivées go astray en route, so if you fall into this deprived group, the same requests apply.

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #962 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:02:49 pm »
My club states you should claim for awards (of the various sorts), which I think is a better system. The vast majority of riders in a position to win an award will be in a good position to know about it. If you're not sure (cos you don't know exactly what other riders have done), you claim anyway.

Yebbut I rather brag about it here.
My name is in the list of "new audaxers that did 200km or more", but not in the SR (p) list (it should be the other way around). That I appear in that first list is only because Ivo tells AUK about the rides he organizes. I don't bother to tell AUK about any BRMs I did.

Oh, and Arrivee and the Handbook arrived in a continental mailbox today.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #963 on: 09 February, 2012, 08:28:20 am »
Arrived yesterday, under a brown cover.....

Good to see that there was someone brave enough to write of the non-qualifying of PBP, kinda makes us mere mortals feel a little better  :thumbsup:

mikewigley

« Reply #964 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:34:42 am »
I get a most entertaining version of our address on the label.

Ah yes, I see what you mean.  I blame Microsoft.  Your address is OK on the database, it's only when I copy it into Excel for the mailing list that it goes awry.  I've now taken the "roof" off your "house".  If I can think of a fix, I'll put it back

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #965 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:46:52 am »
I blame Microsoft.

It's catching!  You've been hanging around these fora for too long Mike.

I've now taken the "roof" off your "house".  If I can think of a fix, I'll put it back

Well Mal could have done that himself, so I assumed he enjoyed his quarterly 'Arrivee lottery'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #966 on: 12 February, 2012, 11:07:29 am »
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but congrats to teethgrinder for getting his name twice on the front page of the Hall of Fame.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #967 on: 18 February, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »
I notice the list of new SRs includes an Alastair Reynolds, an Ian Watson, and a Stephen Barnes. I'm glad they could all take time out of their busy science-fiction writing schedules to get in an SR series. Does anyone know if, under the AUK rules, Iain Banks and Iain M. Banks enter as separate individuals?

mikewigley

« Reply #968 on: 22 February, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »
You may recall that I am able to supply back issues of Arrivee for a modest fee.  Someone has asked for the issue which had an article about the Manic Grimpeur.  I've no idea when this was and although I've had a fllick through the pages for the last few years I can't find it.  Does anyone recall this article and can remind me when it came out?

Mike

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #969 on: 22 February, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »
You may recall that I am able to supply back issues of Arrivee for a modest fee.  Someone has asked for the issue which had an article about the Manic Grimpeur.  I've no idea when this was and although I've had a fllick through the pages for the last few years I can't find it.  Does anyone recall this article and can remind me when it came out?

Mike

http://lists.topica.com/lists/njrandonneurs/read/message.html?sort=t&mid=1720194322

Early 2006?

(Hello Laurent  ;) )
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #970 on: 22 February, 2012, 07:51:48 pm »

Mike

I remember it. It was aterrific ride report called 'Riding the Maniac' co-written by Richard Parrote and another fella whose name I can't remember. Regarding when about 5 years ago (maybe longer) is my best estimate.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #971 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »
Spring 2006 Richard Parrotte & Phil Nelson  :)

Edit: good guess Iddu  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #972 on: 08 May, 2012, 09:19:06 am »
Mine just dropped through the letterbox - complete with new Auky logo thingy :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #973 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:17:01 pm »
Mine just dropped through the letterbox - complete with new Auky logo thingy :thumbsup:

Mine's here too.
I see Tim is appealing for more content as few people are submitting much for publication.
There are many excellent reports on yacf; why not share them witth a wider audience? It's not difficult!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #974 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »

so has mine;as I read this