Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 474070 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #1050 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:09:12 am »
I hate the B-word, which IME is usually used to excuse gratuitous offensiveness in the name of attempted "humour" that nearly always misses the mark.

Gentle ribbing is fine, but it needs to be judged carefully and is best avoided if you don't know the person you're speaking to very well.

On a more positive note, re JJ...

I think it was the Anfractuous a few years ago when I'd had two punctures within the first 10km before realising that the cause was a wonky brake block rubbing a hole in my tyre. I was at the side of the road, installing my last spare tube and wondering whether it was worth the risk of carrying on, when JJ (who I'd never met properly before then, though I'd encountered him once or twice on other rides) rolls up and very kindly donates his tyre boot. I went on to complete the ride without further incident. So yes, three cheers for JJ!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #1051 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:17:05 am »
On the other hand, we're all usually quite tired at the end of a long ride, so the potential both for misinterpreting and for being misinterpreted is quite high.

Ha! Yes, I remember making some ill-advised comments towards a certain highly esteemed senior couple of Yorkshire-born cyclists when in such a state towards the end of a 400 once. Felt rather embarrassed when I reflected on it afterwards. Fortunately, I think they were thick-skinned enough not to allow it to put them off audaxing.

d.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #1052 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:29:21 am »
To be honest I've only had good experiences so far with regards to the people I've met on Audax rides.
It's one of the many reasons I enjoy it.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #1053 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:39:10 am »
I also don't think such comments can be labeled as banter, more like thoughtless bordering on arrogant.

I'm still in my 1st year of audaxing and have not personally come across this but in any organization there will be the odd pillock who speaks before engaging brain, and if you come up against this early on it might be somewhat off putting as first impressions are potent.

« Reply #1054 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:40:14 am »
My name is fboab and I take the piss out of Newbies.
Ahem

I have used the expression 'GPS is cheating'.
I have used the expression 'training is cheating'.
I have used the expression 'I wouldn't bother with only a hundred'. I think I've even said 'I don't get out of bed for anything less than 300k'
Clearly I need to go back to my corner and return to avoiding eye contact and indulging in solo self flagellation, for fear of offending delicate sensitivities.

I'm sorry the rider felt that way.

Chris S

« Reply #1055 on: 09 May, 2012, 11:59:40 am »
You forgot "Audaxing on a tandem is cheating".  ;)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1056 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:01:58 pm »
I think I've even said 'I don't get out of bed for anything less than 300k'

I foat u waz taking yer bed with you theze daze?  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #1057 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »
"return to avoiding eye contact ... for fear of offending delicate sensitivities."

A non sequitur there, since failure to greet fellow audaxers can itself cause offence. I'm afraid I reserve a special dislike for people who swoop past nose in air with no attempt to return a proffered greeting.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1058 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
"a special dislike for people who swoop past nose in air

Indeed, the correct position for a nose is about 1/4 inch off the front wheel, and 2 inches ahead of gritted teeth, or else you're not doing it right........or something like that.

On the subject of distance, 25% of the rides I organise are 50km. Perhaps I should run them with a stock apology for time wasting....  ::-)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1059 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »
These people with their noses in the air, what are they doing with that sort of ridiculous sit up and beg position?  Someone should teach them about the benefits of aerodynamics, or don't they know this is really an unspoken race?

I found the article on the round the world people fascinating, wanted more details. The lack of experience of some of the riders was appalling; the one on a minimal-spoked road bike, no proper luggage; what were the organisers thinking of, letting this child out? When queried about his high gears, his response was that he wasn't going up any hills - then went through the Pyrenees.

BTW, Mike Hall is in the USA atm, pass 21k and still going strong.

Martin Walker billed himself as "Not an athlete or an adventurer, just a dad trying to show a daughter what is possible in life."  He then managed to do pretty darn well, being in second place for most of the way.  Sadly, this has just appeared on his Twitter feed:

"I regret to announce that I have retired from the race due to injury. I will return home, recuperate and then restart. I am gutted"

As for "What were the organisers thinking of?", Vin Cox set this race up a bit like the Sunday Times Golden Globe race, where anyone attempting the trip would be included.  He then had to stop - I'm not sure why - so the race is now organised by the riders themselves.

« Reply #1060 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »
You forgot "Audaxing on a tandem is cheating".  ;)
How could I forget that one  :facepalm:

I think I've even said 'I don't get out of bed for anything less than 300k'

I foat u waz taking yer bed with you theze daze?  ;D
Surely not. That'd be cheating  :P

« Reply #1061 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:08:43 pm »
These people with their noses in the air, what are they doing with that sort of ridiculous sit up and beg position? 

I think they will be the recumbent riders, poor things always have to go about with their noses in the air.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1062 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:15:45 pm »
These people with their noses in the air, what are they doing with that sort of ridiculous sit up and beg position? 

I think they will be the recumbent riders, poor things always have to go about with their noses in the air.

Putting their best foot forward, though.  Which is cheating.

« Reply #1063 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:23:19 pm »
..................Plodding Pedro took a much closer one of just us - but clearly good taste, and the fear of emotional harm to sensitive readers has made sure that one wasn't published! Phew! 

That would be this one ..... 

... or perhaps this one ..... 

EDIT - doh!  This doesn't seem to be working. It just puts up the little "picture here" icon, on my PC anyway.  I'm sure I've done this before and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I can't find the FAQ "sticky" about posting photos. Can anyone more clued -up advise?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1064 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »
I hate the B-word, which IME is usually used to excuse gratuitous offensiveness in the name of attempted "humour" that nearly always misses the mark.

Gentle ribbing is fine, but it needs to be judged carefully and is best avoided if you don't know the person you're speaking to very well.
Gentle ribbing IS banter! Banter can be gentle, vicious, well-aimed, badly-aimed, cruel, or loving.

[ No, I'm not going to let this lie! ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1065 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »
I'm in it, giving a cheery wave, on Up the Uts

« Reply #1066 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »
I've just waved back!

citoyen

« Reply #1067 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »
Gentle ribbing IS banter! Banter can be gentle, vicious, well-aimed, badly-aimed, cruel, or loving.

[ No, I'm not going to let this lie! ]

Yebbut the B-word is badly overused and is often a byword for the kind of crass, idiotic, unfunny "humour" you'd expect to be subjected to if you were down the pub with Andy Gray and Richard Keays, hence I prefer to avoid it.

d.

« Reply #1068 on: 09 May, 2012, 02:03:40 pm »
EDIT - doh!  This doesn't seem to be working. It just puts up the little "picture here" icon, on my PC anyway.  I'm sure I've done this before and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I can't find the FAQ "sticky" about posting photos. Can anyone more clued -up advise?

It looks like they're password protected. If I follow one of the links you used  - http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/item/onJmgYy1wqmJmawS - I get told "A user authentication error or session timeout has occurred.".

They'll work for you as you're logged in to the service.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1069 on: 09 May, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »
EDIT - doh!  This doesn't seem to be working. It just puts up the little "picture here" icon

Your embedded URL's are incorrect (tags whitepaced for exposure)

[i m g]http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/item/LDukcwx2po0L1iXx[/i m g] requests user login. 
Most likely just missing relevant filename.extension, e.g.  [I M G]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/iddu/20110516%20-%20Misc/DSC00003.jpg[/i m g]

[Edit: x-p with eeymsmo]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1070 on: 09 May, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

On the subject of distance, 25% of the rides I organise are 50km. Perhaps I should run them with a stock apology for time wasting....  ::-)

I think the 50k rides are our most popular ones.  It's a good way to introduce kids & beginners to the joys of Audax without half killing em  ;)
50k one year 100k the next, etcetera, etcetera .....  not everyone is capable of or has the time to train for the longer events, doesn't mean they're putting in any less effort to finish in time though.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

citoyen

« Reply #1071 on: 09 May, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »
...and some 100k events, especially hilly ones, are used as training rides by roadies who would be easily capable of longer distances.

It really doesn't matter who is doing these events or why - they don't need to justify themselves to anyone. Especially not the mardy old twats you sometimes encounter on audaxes.

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1072 on: 09 May, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »
I think we're in danger of fighting a threat that isn't there. At the risk of fanning the fire:

No-one is bashing sub-200k events! No-one wants to have less of them. No-one thinks you are sub-human if you haven't ridden 200k+.*

Can we move on? Please?

*Except possibly fboab.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1073 on: 09 May, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
*Except possibly fboab.
Hey, I think you're sub-human if you
  • ride sub 200k events
  • ride a tandem
  • ride a recumbent
  • have white frame, bar tape or saddle
  • ride faster than me
  • ride slower than me
  • have a beard, brooks, or carradice
  • wear a helmet, or hi-vis
  • are male
  • are female
  • are thinner than me
  • are fatter than me

I'm pretty indiscriminate in my discrimination.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1074 on: 09 May, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »
Your discrimination is almost audacious in its breadth and range.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------