Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473111 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #425 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:49:55 am »
Excellent article on the Mille Miglia from Colin Bezant. 

After the first few hundred km, I and some others were around 12-18 hours behind for most of the rest of the ride and so our highs and lows were largely reversed. His great food and holiday atmosphere at Bolsano were our 2 in the morning trying to get a couple of hours nap on plastic chairs on in a cold clammy lakeside with continual noise, with only the dreaded rice salad - the thought of it still triggers quesy feelings - to eat before we climbed on our bikes at 4.30.

Once you got out of the flatlands - I agree with Colin they looked much better at night, they looked like a duller version of the Fens in daylight, the scenery was fantastic. It was a shame to have to do any of it by night.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #426 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:54:55 am »
Are the Goldsmiths in every issue?

Haven't read it all yet, but I've enjoyed the writings of:
Arabella
Ian Lewis (and his attempts to (ab)use an old friend's hospitality! )
Himself

(Of course these were the amusing ones - there is also a place for the mainly informative.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #427 on: 11 November, 2010, 12:04:54 pm »
I think the post man has stolen mine - still not arrived and the bike is still in the LBS and I need it for Sundays Eureka. How long does it take to get a bearing....

LEE

« Reply #428 on: 11 November, 2010, 12:50:37 pm »
Check the centre spread is not stuck together.

H

Shouldn't there be a parental advisory on the preceeding page?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #429 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »
I hear Himself has been nominated for a Pulitzer...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #430 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday.

Thanks to Martin Tillin for a glowing report on the Avalon Sunrise 400
And to Jaded for the excellent photos of the Avalon Sunrise

How many miscaptioned photos are there?  There is the Pippa Wheeler one as well as the "Jamie Andrews"

« Reply #431 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday.
How many miscaptioned photos are there?  There is the Pippa Wheeler one  .....................

In that case there will also be a "Mary Doyle", for they were the only two ladies riding the "Mr. P's Hay-in-a-day" event.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #432 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
How long does it take to get a bearing....

Depends on how efficient your GPS is........

« Reply #433 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:47:03 pm »

In that case there will also be a "Mary Doyle", for they were the only two ladies riding the "Mr. P's Hay-in-a-day" event.

Yes, Pippa and Mary have transposed bodies (and bikes).

LindaG

« Reply #434 on: 11 November, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »
Ooh, Deano's written a nice article.  Fancy me knowing a famous writer!   :smug:

mikewigley

« Reply #435 on: 11 November, 2010, 02:56:08 pm »
How many miscaptioned photos are there?  There is the Pippa Wheeler one as well as the "Jamie Andrews"

I know the editors work very hard to correctly caption the photos but it's not easy for them.  They rely on the photographers submitting the pictures, who quite often don't know the riders.  Even a query to the Organiser sometimes doesn't help.  This leads to the danger that only the same clique of riders get to be included in Arrivee.

I'm not sure what the answer is.  We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise of you opening Arrivee to find your mug grinning back at you, but I imagine it is less favourably received if you are anonymous, or even worse, wrongly identified.

Then of course, some people like to protect their privacy

« Reply #436 on: 11 November, 2010, 03:01:25 pm »
When I've been feeling keen in the past I've carried a notebook and got peoples names, the video function on the camera helps with that, and I've used this place to get names to faces, then I've put the names on the files. Sometimes I'm not so enthusiastic.

« Reply #437 on: 11 November, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

I'm not sure what the answer is.  We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise of you opening Arrivee to find your mug grinning back at you, but I imagine it is less favourably received if you are anonymous, or even worse, wrongly identified.

DUnno. If I was mistaken for, say, George Clooney, I'd live with it.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #438 on: 11 November, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »
Considering how many photo's there are in Arrivée and the fact that they seem to manage to avoid photographing the same people every time; I think the naming etc is pretty good. I quite like the use of people's yacf names as well.

The only complaint I have is that I've not managed to get my photo in the mag yet. How many damn SRs do I have to do? 

Like most of us on here I only joined AUK for the points and the glory  - lets face it all that Long Distance Cycling is pretty boring and the social side - well - you've met those people haven't you? 
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #439 on: 11 November, 2010, 04:49:24 pm »

DUnno. If I was mistaken for, say, George Clooney, I'd live with it.

Actually the best mislabelling was someone who did PBP 2007 described as Donald Sutherland. He did look a bit like him...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #440 on: 11 November, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
I named mine in the filenames, and I got the names from a combination of knowing some of the riders and also the times people went through the control. When I couldn't work out the name I left it out!
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #441 on: 11 November, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »
the social side - well - you've met those people haven't you? 
As little as possible: I intend to do the Eureka as a 200km solo time trial.

See y'all there  ;D

« Reply #442 on: 11 November, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »
Does anyone know if either of the Taylor-Vebels are about on this forum?

I realised when I saw my photo in Arrivee that I don't have any photos of me on my bike and was hoping to ask about pinching the photo of me for facebook, be it a scan or copy of the original.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

mikewigley

« Reply #443 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:35:07 pm »

I realised when I saw my photo in Arrivee that I don't have any photos of me on my bike and was hoping to ask about pinching the photo of me for facebook, be it a scan or copy of the original.

Who knows?  They could be hiding behind a userid.  But if you looked them up on audax.uk.net, click on "e-mailing list" and then "Auks on email", you could ask them yourself (whoever you are)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #444 on: 12 November, 2010, 12:13:08 am »
Andy is a regular poster - he listens as well as cycles!

« Reply #445 on: 12 November, 2010, 07:23:52 am »

Who knows?  They could be hiding behind a userid.  But if you looked them up on audax.uk.net, click on "e-mailing list" and then "Auks on email", you could ask them yourself (whoever you are)

Good plan. Didn't realise that list was there.

Will do that when I get in from work. Cheers.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #446 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:01:36 am »
You've only really 'arrived' if you're on the front cover of an edition which is a multiple of 100.

« Reply #447 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:26:34 am »
You've only really 'arrived' if you're on the front cover of an edition which is a multiple of 100.

But did they get your name right?

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #448 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:46:11 am »

But did they get your name right?

They got Nuncio's name right but I was alongside him (well, slightly behind) and they got my name wrong

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #449 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:56:06 am »
Typical of Audax - they only remember the winners.  ::-)

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles