Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882750 times)

essexian

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22375 on: 24 March, 2019, 07:29:20 am »
Whilst out cycling I have seen and heard many things. Some good, some bad and some...WTF. Yesterday, was in the WTF category!

As I haven't been out for a ride for nearly a month and with there being planned motorway closures abound...it turns out the closure is today and not yesterday... I took the MTB down the disused railway line route between Haughton and Newport. Its a gentle 14 mile round trip with no traffic and gentle grades. What's not to like....

Well, two things really. After the council spent a couple of million doing the route up by laying a new surface less than 10 years ago, you would have thought they would have done some maintenance when required. Not a bit of it: from a 3m path as built, there are now sections which are at best 60cm wide. The council have washed their hands of the path and indeed tried to give it away to any interested party without success.

The second thing was the 200 odd cows which decided to get out of their unlocked field and use the path to charge towards Stafford in a bid for freedom just as I was coming the other way. They left a right mess on the path and the road which leads off of the path at Haughton where it seems they joined Station Road heading north. I timed it...they took 17 minutes to pass me by!

The farmer was not impressed when I found him and informed him of what had happened: why do people fail to close field gates? I bet it took him hours to round them up and return them home.

Oh....and I am glad cows are colour blind as I was wearing a red cycling top.....

« Reply #22376 on: 24 March, 2019, 02:14:22 pm »
Yesterday was the annual season opener (gourmand's season would be a better description, except that the walkers haven't stopped this winter) in the Brenne natural park. Lunch at La Gabrière. The lake is drained at present so a lot less wildlife than usual.
I decided to take the opportunity to do a bit of riding away from the group so got up early to do as much as I could of the voie verte that runs along the river Creuse. The start was a bit delayed with a 30min late start from home followed by a lot of faff finding a parking place and an access to the path. This coupled with a plan to be overtaken by the peloton led to rather less kilometers than planned. Had I known that my peloton planning had an error of 30mins as well I could have gone a bit further! The big surprise was that since my last passage the path has been all tarmacked. Great, except that the barriers are still as awkward as before but now there is an edge to the tarmac with a slight drop (which you can fall off negotiating the barriers, some but not all of which you can otherwise get round without dismounting). Decelerating and accelerating afterwards makes up for the flat ride and is about as tiring as going up a few hills (there are quite a lot of barriers, two for each road or track crossing). Using my Alfine equipped bike at least made the gear changing side a bit easier (approach in 6th or 7th, flip into 4th, negotiate barrier, accelerate back into 6th or 7th, sometimes repeating the process after 300m).
At 10.30, having crossed the viaduct at Le Blanc I went down through the town, up the only climb to get back out and into the flat and windy Brenne Park. Taking my time I still saw no peloton, although I did stop to observe frogs in a ditch and a flight of herons taking off. I got to the restaurant at 11.40, said hello to the first lady walkers to arrive and sunned myself until Jean-Pierre arrived, having ridden the 115kms from Limoges. Time for a beer or two! The peloton got in after 12.30. Had I known I would have gone further at Le Blanc.
After a nice meal and too much pinard, off again. A windy ride to St Gaultier, with a flock of ducks around a lake and a small herd of Limousine heifers for sight-seeing (didn't count the Charollaises, we are definitely Limousine fans here). A ride round St Gaultier looking for the path access and ride back up to pick up the car. 51kms in the morning and 37 in the afternoon doesn't seem much for a day out of over 9 hours car to car but a bit of that was resto time (probably more than one would like to think. No climbing worth speaking off, perhaps 300m for the day at most.

Verdict on the voie verte - no point in tarmacking if the communes aren't going to sign it and organise parking facilities; there are not enough people within public transport distance to justify the expense (and not enough public transport). And the barriers won't stop the scooters and mopeds (although the presence of an uncrowded nationale on parallel does) but they would stop tandems, trailers, recumbents and wheelchairs (who are probably the justification for tarmacking in the first place). Oh and trikes are technically not allowed to use the path anyway!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22377 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:28:22 pm »
I have been to the seaside. It was breezy and smelled of salt. There was cake, coffee, tea, cake, chatter, sunshine and even a bit of COR. Probably my first ride just for pleasure this year!  :o 60 miles or so, but I'm not exactly sure cos my bike computer wasn't working.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22378 on: 24 March, 2019, 09:09:27 pm »
Miss Dan the Elder has a music thing hear Oxted today, which is an hour away in the car. So rather than burn petrol going back and forth, I bunged a bike in the back of the car too. Unfortunately, no map. So armed with a rough plan I did a slightly oddly shaped loop - and got back with half an hour to spare.  :smug:  Along the way I saw a horse pulling a (fairly modern looking) trap, which I followed for a bit. I took in Ide Hill (arriving the back way), where I found a map in the cafe; and Toy's Hill, which was a bit gratuitous. And added a spot of mildly amusing off roading.

Interestingly, place names that reminded me of Chesham, in particular Piggot's and Chittenden.

I'm feeling guilty about the lack of housework done this weekend, but that was a nice ride and apparently my longest of the year so far.

https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1109928002056609793

« Reply #22379 on: 25 March, 2019, 05:17:31 am »
Well its 5 oclock so technicaly yeterday, cant sleep.   Somewhere above 47 miles on the Brompton.  Derby-Swadlincote the back way got lost trying to find the cycle track to Conkers,  then-Route 63 east ,
re-surfaced from Conkers and allong to Route 52 north.  the odd mile is very poor, on the 52,  then onto Route 6 home.  Warm and sunny and my longest trip this year.   Perhaps its time to dig out the camping Grear.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22380 on: 25 March, 2019, 09:43:21 am »
Yesterday: unremarkable toddle until ~45k in when the NW wind suddenly slammed a door in my face when I was on a towpath with zero shelter. Fought it for another 20k then turned north then east and headed for home, blown like a bat out of hell. Had to fight it again on the last 20k but by then I had a bit more shelter.  Got home with 117k on the clock and walked in to the smell of fresh oatcakes. That's what heaven should be like.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22381 on: 27 March, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »
Group of five on 45 mile round trip to new cafe location in Willingham north west of cambridge. Weather perfect, cool but not too cold, with light NNW, NW winds. Wonderful ride, really enjoyed it. Just one of those it moments really.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22382 on: 29 March, 2019, 07:26:58 pm »
As far as the pub with my wife..... winter must be over

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22383 on: 29 March, 2019, 08:50:03 pm »
Three rides today. A curtailed trip to Two Tree Island to meet Penny. Half-way there I thought "There's a squirrel in that tree!" as I heard that odd noise that squirrels make as they seem to be learning how to whistle without getting it quite right. I passed the tree and the noise was still there. Fuck! Front-wheel puncture. I rode the 2.5 miles or so back home as fast as I could so that I could take advantage of any useful residual pressure in the tube (I don't take spares with me on these short trips - perhaps I should) and had to walk the last 200 yards or so before getting in the car.

Then Jan and I went to Richardson's Bike Shop on the tandem to buy a new tyre and a couple of new tubes. I also had a look at electric bikes and will probably go and try some sort of Trek jobbie next week. I don't want to buy one yet as I love my Thorn too much and I know I would go for electric assist every time I went for a ride. Although, having said that, Jan and I have been out riding the old tandem a couple of times lately.

And lastly, I took the tandem to Slimming World as I haven't yet got around to fixing the solo machines.

Total distance for the day - about 10 miles. A lovely day to be out!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22384 on: 29 March, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
Not had a bad last couple of weeks
CamAudax pork pie 100
A few short sharp 25km "standard" loops
55 km of repeat loops of the one hill near me last Saturday
And finally, having been working stupid hours mon-thurs, took an executive decision to take a pre lunch ride today, 52km, not my intended route as I was stymied by a closed road for resurfacing. Challenging crosswind in a few places and beautiful sunshine

Utilitarian riding tomorrow
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22385 on: 30 March, 2019, 07:12:14 pm »
A short ride in beautiful weather to a guided tour of a thatched congregational chapel and other buildings in a local village. A conservation architect working for the area's churches trust gave a talk at each location on the construction, history and background of various buildings followed by tea and cake, really enjoyed it.

The return journey was made a tad problematic by the closure of a public pathway on behalf of Mssrs Kier and Co who are engaged in mole boring/drilling and pulling heavy duty underground electrical cables to a nearby power station which, I am told, will remove the need for the existing pylons. It was interesting to see the massive diameter cables lying above ground wrapped around heavy steel 'posts' in a very large field, rather like an enormous modern day henge.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22386 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
It was interesting to see the massive diameter cables lying above ground wrapped around heavy steel 'posts' in a very large field rather like an enormous modern day henge.

Sounds a bit like holding the wool for Mum while she wound it into a ball.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22387 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:43:17 am »
Yesterday,  140km in beautiful weather with light winds that strengthened a bit in the afternoon. 40k to the Rhine-Marne canal, 35k along that to a picturesque bled hight Lutzelbourg, then 65k with the wind behind me. Dressed for 10° and it reached 22°, so the Carradice was bulging by afternoon.  Fuel was questch tart, cheesecake and a croissant, which worked quite well. The usual storks, herons & buzzards abroad, one large rookery, a lapwing and a tortoiseshell butterfly as well as a few sulphurs.

I love rides like that: 6+ hours on the bike, fairly peaceful roads, leisurely coffee stops and most people relaxed and tolerant because it's Saturday.

Dear Lord, though: the second pâtisserie (cheesecake) was empty when I arrived but filled up with globular women within half an hour. It made me sad, because they were all under 40 and although they were jolly and chatty they were destroying themselves before life was half over. Aye well.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22388 on: 31 March, 2019, 01:48:37 pm »
50km at a leisurely pace on the New Malden Velo intro ride. Bit cold and windy but still fun!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22389 on: 31 March, 2019, 04:11:17 pm »
First non-trivial ride of 2019

Royal Dean Forest CC chairmans 50in5 (miles in hours)

Can't for the life of me figure out how to read it.  On one hand I achieved what I set out to do with 20 mins to spare.  On the other I died utterly to death resorting to the 24" gear on several ramps and hills. 
I have 9 weeks to train until TINAT and 4 of those I'll be limited to a few hours in the gym once a week.  Back on the first hand today was half the distance of my chosen TINAT ride at better than twice the pace I'll need on a bike with sod all by way of low gears.  And on the other again today was on mostly decent roads (mostly off road in June) on a light bike (MTB will be going on twice the weight) and although half the distance I need only one quarter of the saddle time and  under a third the climb.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #22390 on: 31 March, 2019, 08:04:08 pm »
Bike to bus station 4 miles then Bus to Bakewell (I just love Bromptons)  then Home by bike 31 miles.  The bridal track to Rowesley was a bit severe even in the dry for the Bromi so had to walk some.  However from there it was a good ride on the new Rowsley to Matlock route and then the Cromfors canal.  Final bit to Derby minor roads and then Cycle track to home.   Bit cool but not too bad.  6.5 MPH avarage including 2 tea stops, reasonable as tracks are slower than good roads.

« Reply #22391 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:02:07 pm »
101km round probably my favourite local ride, over the Dukes Pass and round Callander.

Same again, with added great view of a red squirrel in Brig o'Turk

« Reply #22392 on: 31 March, 2019, 09:24:12 pm »
Dukes Pass and Callander here, too (though no red squirrels) - great weather for it. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22393 on: 01 April, 2019, 11:36:28 am »
Left late on a leisurely loop up to Tortworth for cake, then sidled sideways to the Severn with another bite at Berkeley. Quite a bit of COR, mostly bridleway, but some (including the flood banks alongside the river) technically footpath and a little bit just a field. Had to push a short section on one bridleway where the ground was churned up by huge hoofprints – and a few metres further on it was beautiful and smooth. According to compu it was 97km, I'd say there might have been 20 offroad, but I think the compu is over-reading.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22394 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:06:53 am »
Not yet today, but 12 years ago today we set out for John O’Groats via Land’s End.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22395 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:19:57 am »
Yesterday: Supposed to be a 100k col/coffee/ice-cream loop through Germany but too bloody damp & cold - El Prez's hands were numb - so packed at 20k. Ended up with 45k and not much climbing, but did find a cakery.  Back home I was dozy as hell, stupefied from wind and cold. Bleh.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22396 on: 06 April, 2019, 03:31:45 pm »
15 glorious miles with Louis (12), on his first ride on James' (previously Julian's) Trek.

He did really well given: the hills, his first ride in ages, and the racy gearing. He's having a little lie down now.

Perfect time together.

:)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22397 on: 06 April, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »
I felt like something a bit different today so I did a 16 mile round trip to the nearest three branches of Majestic Wine, sampling a couple of reds in each one.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #22398 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:51:28 pm »
My usual "20miles and only three big hills" route today. 
Made more interesting by the road works at Ireshopeburn. Leaving the traffic lights the instant they turned green, I only got about three quarters the way along before I met cars coming the other way.  Not surprised to get sworn and gesticulated at, but this being a generally good natured place, they all managed to see me and give me room to get to the other end safely. 
I was fuming! Incompetent traffic management firms are a blight on the Durham Dales and Alston area.
I posted an explanation/apology on our local facebook page and was pleased to get almost 100% supportive comments.
But while several folks had experienced a similar problem, I seem to be the only one who reported it, which is a shame.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22399 on: 07 April, 2019, 07:26:52 am »
I felt like something a bit different today so I did a 16 mile round trip to the nearest three branches of Majestic Wine, sampling a couple of reds in each one.
You can do that?
This sounds like a great idea!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?