Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332179 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #800 on: 15 September, 2012, 11:59:41 pm »
2 new Alpkit drybags, one small one with a draw cord for storing battery pack with wire coming out of it.

« Reply #801 on: 16 September, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »
In a nice kitchen shop/cafe in Horsham I got a collapsible collander and some small pots for butter/mayonnaise/pickle/cheese etc so we don't need to buy sandwiches so often :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #802 on: 23 September, 2012, 04:02:40 am »
I just splashed out quite a lot of $$$ on a new sleeping bag. My Alpkit Skyehigh 800 finally gave its dying breath on our recent mini-tour of the Olympic Peninsula, Washington State (the down had disappeared from crucial spots and the zip had completely broken). After a lot of research (yes, I even made a spreadsheet) I plumped for the Western Mountaineering Antelope. A friend gave me a 15% off coupon for a local Portland shop so it was slightly less ouchy on the credit card. I tried it in the shop and my, it is snuggly and soft and lofty and warm. I can't wait to use it in New Zealand!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #803 on: 23 September, 2012, 07:35:11 am »
Yet another Coleman stove, a 442 this time.  Described as excellent on eBay but bent and clogged with stale unleaded.  Easy enough to rebuild and straighten though, and now runs beautiifully.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #804 on: 23 September, 2012, 10:26:50 am »
I just splashed out quite a lot of $$$ on a new sleeping bag. My Alpkit Skyehigh 800 finally gave its dying breath on our recent mini-tour of the Olympic Peninsula, Washington State (the down had disappeared from crucial spots and the zip had completely broken). After a lot of research (yes, I even made a spreadsheet) I plumped for the Western Mountaineering Antelope. A friend gave me a 15% off coupon for a local Portland shop so it was slightly less ouchy on the credit card. I tried it in the shop and my, it is snuggly and soft and lofty and warm. I can't wait to use it in New Zealand!

Western Mountaineering bags are excellent. Very comfy, very well made, and they are every bit as warm as rated.

« Reply #805 on: 23 September, 2012, 01:51:36 pm »
My camping is usually in the range late Aril to early October.  I very seldom use a sleeping bag zipped up because it is too warm for me, so use it open as a duvet.  Then I find the neck baffles and toggles plus the hood are all a bit of a nuisance, so a couple of weeks ago I bought a camping duvet http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/insulation/alpine-down-blanket/product
I used it two weeks ago with overnight temperatures down to about 7C and found it fine for me.  In colder weather, in a zipped up bag, I might curl up which presses my back against the bag and compresses the down and so giving cold spots.  The duvet is large enough that I imagine I could curl up if I wanted to and still be covered.  The foot end has a slight box section so that the end of my mat can fit inside so giving a box for feet if wanted.  So far I am quite happy that this will be more comfortable for me than a bag for the majority of my camping, and having no zips it is lighter and packs smaller than my RAB sleeping bag.

« Reply #806 on: 26 September, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
A pair of small stainless steel bowls.

This is because someone, who may have been me, saw fit to consume a large mug of red wine on an empty stomach before removing the potatoes from the campfire, and placing them immediately into our (plastic) bowls, which now appear to have fused forever with the foil that was covering the potatoes, as well as having slightly deformed and holey bottoms. Ahem. I probably shouldn’t be trusted with FIRE at all but at least metal will stand up slightly better to such stupidity….

(NB: those Lifeventure windproof matches are awesomely good).

« Reply #807 on: 26 September, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »

Western Mountaineering bags are excellent. Very comfy, very well made, and they are every bit as warm as rated.
Yes, thank you for the original recommendation! I think I may have got quite a good deal. After discount, the bag cost me $420.

LEE

« Reply #808 on: 26 September, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »
2 new Alpkit drybags, one small one with a draw cord for storing battery pack with wire coming out of it.

I love Alpkit bags more than is healthy.

I probably have more of them then things to put in them.

Also everything in my house is attached to an Alpkit mini-carabiner.

I have an Alpkit headtorch and an Airic sleep mat.

Damn you Alpkit! I'd be rich if it weren't for you (actually I think it all cost less than £70)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #809 on: 26 September, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »

Indeed! I have a tiny one that is very warm.
It is simpler than it looks.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #810 on: 26 September, 2012, 07:42:12 pm »

Beware it is very addictive, I have the dryloft version and it is hard to get out of on the  cold mornings.  :smug: :smug: :smug:

« Reply #811 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:08:36 pm »
Tut. That is all cured by becoming middle aged whereby mid comfy sleeping bag nocturnals revert to you are guaranteed to need to go to the bog. The carrying of eight pints I am only eighteen and invincible unfortunately does not carry on until later years. So watch where the zip is and where your shoes are.  ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #812 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:18:30 pm »
Tut. That is all cured by becoming middle aged whereby mid comfy sleeping bag nocturnals revert to you are guaranteed to need to go to the bog. The carrying of eight pints I am only eighteen and invincible unfortunately does not carry on until later years. So watch where the zip is and where your shoes are.  ;D

I don't think age or even beer comes into it.  If it's warm and snuggly, a 3am bog visit is guaranteed.

« Reply #813 on: 26 September, 2012, 09:23:40 pm »
Not actually bought today, but a few weeks ago. The behemoth, that some of you sat in during the 2010 Hampshire camping weekend, has been replaced by an enormously expensive Outwell Yellowstone Falls tent.  Have yet to attempt an erection.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #814 on: 26 September, 2012, 10:13:42 pm »
My, that is a big one!  So long and wide.  Be careful getting it up or you might do yourself a mischief.
Getting there...

« Reply #815 on: 27 September, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »
Look forward to seeing it at some point. I'll never forget the time I spent getting intimate with your big thing.

« Reply #816 on: 27 September, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »
I just bought a new bivvy bag - an alpkit hunka xl. Mmm roomy! Kelp green too, for maximum stealth ...
I like maps me

« Reply #817 on: 27 September, 2012, 05:29:10 pm »
Look forward to seeing it at some point. I'll never forget the time I spent getting intimate with your big thing.

Jesus!  Funny how recollections differ.  My memory of that evening is of you glugging sloe gin from a Sigg flask, and holding forth about tossing off pigs for a living  ???

Clarion sat in the corner rocking and gibbering away to himself.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #818 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:11:12 pm »
She's the Rebecca Loos of yacf.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #819 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:14:15 pm »
I, for one, will never be able to think of Brooks saddles in quite the same way...

« Reply #820 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:42:08 am »
I, for one, will never be able to think of Brooks saddles in quite the same way...
It's only since I stopped working there I've been able to use one myself.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #821 on: 28 September, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »

I don't think age or even beer comes into it.  If it's warm and snuggly, a 3am bog visit is guaranteed.

My sleeping bag's zip can be undone from either end. I can only think that the reason for the southern approach is so that a chap can micturate without getting out of bed.

I have yet to try this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #822 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

My sleeping bag's zip can be undone from either end. I can only think that the reason for the southern approach is so that a chap can micturate without getting out of bed.

I have yet to try this.

It's so that those of us who like to, can use our feet as cooling fins.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #823 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »
It's so that those of us who like to, can use our feet as cooling fins.

Quite.

Also provides limited ability to stick your feet out and walk around while staying warm, which is more useful when you're not actually camping.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #824 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
My zip only goes down the bag to just below my waist, though. The only thing I could stick out of that hole is of far too small a surface area to be any use at all as a cooling fin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.