Author Topic: LEL - Where the hills are  (Read 8240 times)

LEL

Re: Where the hills are
« Reply #25 on: 23 July, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
Hills are quite simply wherever you feel most tired.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #26 on: 23 July, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »
Many riders will suffer on the 10.5 km stretch south of Sandtoft. 10.5 km, dead straight, no hedges, no features, little habitation. No fun, even with a tailwind. And when you get to the end, there's nothing but a right-angled bend and 4.5 km more of the same. The altitude varies between 2m and 3m ASL. It's the only bit I'm not looking forward to.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

border-rider

« Reply #27 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »
That tedium of that part was relieved for us in 2001 by having to wait 30 minutes whilst the police measured the scene of a fatal car crash.

In 2005 I think I had a doze on a bench near there on the way back :)

« Reply #28 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:11:22 pm »
Many riders will suffer on the 10.5 km stretch south of Sandtoft. 10.5 km, dead straight, no hedges, no features, little habitation. No fun, even with a tailwind. And when you get to the end, there's nothing but a right-angled bend and 4.5 km more of the same. The altitude varies between 2m and 3m ASL. It's the only bit I'm not looking forward to.

Doing that bit in the dark helps alleviate the boredom. As does missing a turn (a GPS is good as long as you remember to look at it) and taking a detour along the Trent beforehand: (Zoom in on that bit here: Bicycle Path - London Edinburgh Actual at Bikely.com to see).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #29 on: 23 July, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »
I rode it both ways in the dark in 2001, and both ways in daylight in 2005. 2009 riders have it easy, only riding it southbound.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 23 July, 2009, 04:39:49 pm »

Doing that bit in the dark helps alleviate the boredom. As does missing a turn (a GPS is good as long as you remember to look at it) and taking a detour along the Trent beforehand: (Zoom in on that bit here: Bicycle Path - London Edinburgh Actual at Bikely.com to see).
Your diversion looks quite appealing to me!  (I've ridden this bit both ways, getting to/from York. It had some interesting raptors, no other redeeming features. I predict mid-west USAians being well suited.)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mikewigley

« Reply #31 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:31:15 pm »
I rode it both ways in the dark in 2001, and both ways in daylight in 2005. 2009 riders have it easy, only riding it southbound.

I've trained for the 7km Sandtoft straight.  Our Easter Arrow route featured the 10km absolutely straight road towards Boston, from Revesby Bridge to Frithville.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:30:47 pm »

I didn't mind that bit in 2005.  I could ignore the route sheet for a short while and just ride and let my mind drift.  YMMV
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »
Absolutely hated the flat bits of PBP towards the end.

Hated the flat bits of Cambridge-York-Cambridge 600.

Hated the flat bits of South then North 600.

red marley

« Reply #34 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »
One of my highlights of PBP was on one of the flat bits in that last stage. I had the scent of Paris in my nostrils by that point and decided to go into tucked time trial position and peg it. A car then approached and slowed down to match my speed. The driver then wound down his window ready to say something. My Brit cycling intuition was to brace myself for some abuse or a happy slap, but the driver just wedged his knees under his steering wheel and started clapping.

Unfortunately, even Cheshunt wont be smellable from Sandtoft

« Reply #35 on: 24 July, 2009, 09:03:53 am »
Some epic thread drift here, a thread entitled "Where the hills are is talking about pancake flat roads" !!!!