Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 459132 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #450 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:24:43 am »
Just beware those who think Kurt won't be able to respond, that he's not inexperienced at doing consecutive long distances: -
http://www.arkansasoutside.com/the-race-across-america-tarzan-rides/

An interesting read that. Eight days of 350 miles a day for RAAM left Kurt with numb and weak hands, a very sore backside, and weighing almost a stone less than when he started. I don't think he's foolish enough to do that this year - he looks like he's taking HAMR seriously. This is not a state he can afford to be in at any time this year, and neither can Steve. Come the summer, these guys both need to be doing 250 mile days over and over. This year is all about who can work out how to do the longest days over and over without coming to physical harm that causes an early exit.

They're also going to somehow have to maintain sanity. I love riding a solo perm because it's great to clear your head and think about stuff. Just imagine if all the stuff you had to think about was the solo perms you'd ridden on the previous couple of hundred days, and the ones you're about to ride on the next hundred. We can all help with this by meeting up with Steve and giving him some company on the ride (well not me - I'd be too slow).

Someone said Kurt isn't going to crack. I'm not so sure of that: Kurt could crack, Steve could crack. I can't even imagine what this is going to feel like for either of them by August, it's uncharted territory.

« Reply #451 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:28:13 am »
Looks like Kurt may have finally come to a stop for the day with about 210 miles on the tracker (so perhaps a few more in reality).

hillbilly

« Reply #452 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:26:04 am »
That's a solid total. 

If I were advising Kurt I'd suggest he puts a 250 mile day into Steve over the next week or so.  Possibly more.  And more than once.  He isn't going to be able to put down 50 miles more than Steve later in the year, so now is the time to do it.  Create a buffer that feels insurmountable and then control the race from the front.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #453 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:43:07 am »
Unless he's proposing to ride to the start of RAAM he'll need a day or two just to get there and get organisated.  It's a long way to ride and contains inconvenient mountains and/or deserts just about everywhere west of I-25.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #455 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:53:14 am »
Pity he got the current record distance wrong.  Still, it must be difficult coping without opposable thumbs and I imagine his antlers make finding a h*lm*t a bit tricky ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hillbilly

« Reply #456 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:27:49 am »

« Reply #457 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:01:09 am »
Correct me if I’m mistaken. Is this three men independently attempting a world distance record?

When did it become a ‘Race’?

« Reply #458 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:38:52 am »

When the internet heard about it. I think.  :D

As long as Peter Perfect doesn't get to hear about it, I sleep easy.

If they're going to send James Taylor over, I think we should be sending some of our football lads over with a lot of beer to camp outside Tarzans hotel every night, sing songs to thus induce a hefty dose of sleep deprivation.

Or maybe not.
Garry Broad

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #459 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:43:00 am »
https://teammooseisloose.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/another-crisis-the-british-are-in-an-uproar/

;D ;D

And his point is  ???

The year starts on Jan 1st and ends on Dec 31st. Bents is bent and bikes is bikes. Any other thinking is just not British  ;)

He got me to a tee  ;D ;D

« Reply #460 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:17:07 am »
I’m no expert, just wanted to put my two pence worth in the hope it may help Steve.
We have established Kurt is a very capable guy, determined and appears to have enough cash to be able to support his endeavours.

Kurt probably delayed his start purposely to get a ‘handle’ on Steve’s abilities. He also has the advantage of better weather and better possibilities of maintaining better weather for the duration. America is a large place with differing climates throughout the year, he could easily build up a bit of a mileage lead to take a day off and fly to somewhere in the US where the climate is more suited to him if the weather where he is becomes bad.

I would also guess his support team are monitoring what is being said in forums such as this to try and get further information about Steve. It has also been established that Kurt tends to copy his foes which he seems to be doing plus a few extra miles. How long he can keep up his pace is another thing, we don’t know.

I don’t know either Steve or Kurt, but I would hope Steve’s team around him advise him not to put up his tactics etc. on this forum (already been posted) and not to get too distracted by anything else but the task in hand with an eye on Kurt’s performance etc. If any of us can get out to ride with Steve to give him some company and support so much the better (if Steve is happy with that).

Like i said, just my Two pen'orth.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #461 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:22:11 am »
OTOH - Steve could just as easily be playing games as giving away tactics here ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #462 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:28:42 am »
OTOH - Steve could just as easily be playing games as giving away tactics here ;)

That's what we are all doing. We hate Steve really. All this stuff on here is to lull Tarzan into a false sense of security.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #463 on: 23 January, 2015, 09:38:12 am »
Never thought of that  ;D

« Reply #464 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:05:45 am »

That's what we are all doing. We hate Steve really. All this stuff on here is to lull Tarzan into a false sense of security.

The cunning thoughts of a chess master ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #465 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:18:16 am »
https://teammooseisloose.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/another-crisis-the-british-are-in-an-uproar/

Berk.

Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #466 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:19:05 am »

Berk.

Lighten up - I thought it was spot on!

« Reply #467 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
What's Hairy Hippy doing at half term? I'd chip in some of the $300 to enter him in this, and put the cat among the pigeons for a week.

Any writing about this event increases the likelihood of a new contender appearing. We know who they are, and the reasons they can't. But there's a critical point at which it becomes a proposition. This attempt stems largely from an article on 'The One Show', and increased interest in cycling in general.

« Reply #468 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:13:06 am »

Me too. Just a bit of light hearted banter...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #469 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:18:54 am »

Maybe 'race' isn't quite the mot juste but it's most definitely a contest. And all the more exciting for it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #470 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:46:07 am »
The only ‘contest’ they both have is against the conditions they face during the year which lessen their chances of beating Tommy Godwin’s distance.
One of them will overcome the conditions with more skill than the other.

LMT

« Reply #471 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:24:31 pm »

+1 I thought it was a good article.

« Reply #472 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:32:12 pm »
Enjoyed it and had a chuckle. ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #473 on: 23 January, 2015, 12:51:53 pm »

Fair enough, but I thought it was unnecessarily puerile and partisan, which is exactly what I haven't seen here, with plenty of support for Kurt (and even for IronOx at times).

I need to lighten up. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #474 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »
We probably need a decision tree.

Are recumbents a valid way of challenging Tommy's record?

Yes/ it's still a race to that goal.       No/ Tarzan can never claim the record.

Is starting on Jan 1st important?

Yes/ Tarzan can never claim the record.   No/ The race is still on.

etc.