Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450582 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #700 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:05:14 pm »
He's on the Tamiami Trail, looks like he's done this before flat as a pancake looking at google maps, probably getting the most miles out of his recumbant.

« Reply #701 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:04:49 pm »
What's interesting that it's subjectively easier to work at a higher power output (assuming that's what the heartrate is reflecting) in a more upright position.  Not sure if that's psychological (ie. that I'm trying to maintain a habitual speed and cadence in spite of greater power losses) or biomechanical.  Which is why it'll be interesting to see how Kurt gets on.

It could be both but there is certainly a biomechanical element.  People can always get a higher power output in an upright position than on aerobars.  The optimum time trialling position involves some sacrifice of power for greater aerodynamic benefit.

For a time triallist, the trick is to try to narrow the power difference, so that you are able to generate almost as much power in the aerodynamic position.  The way to do it is to do all your training in that position. 

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #702 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:12:49 pm »
He is currently stopped at 31 miles. If you zoom in on the tracker it says 'Alligators'. Hope he hasn't been eaten  ;D

« Reply #703 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:53:01 pm »
Someone's been giving him a hard time about vehicle  transfers on Strava comments, and a ride is flagged.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #704 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:57:20 pm »
His ride on the 26 Jan included a (short) transfer - he didn't switch off his GPS device.  All he needs to do is trim the ride into two & get rid of that - surprised he hasn't done it yet.  I presume he'll have to do that to stay within the UMCA rules anyway

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #705 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »
Does Tarzan have more than one functional bike at the moment?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #706 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »
His Faceache page seemed to imply that his Giant (previously taken out of action with a busted derailleur) got mended.  he was setting off on it on the video from the start of his 250 mile day.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #707 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:42:52 pm »
His ride on the 26 Jan included a (short) transfer - he didn't switch off his GPS device.  All he needs to do is trim the ride into two & get rid of that - surprised he hasn't done it yet.  I presume he'll have to do that to stay within the UMCA rules anyway

The transfer section isn't included in the recorded distance so the GPS must have been off during  - run the cursor along the profile and watch the map cursor jump across the transfer section with no change in distance at about 173km

« Reply #708 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:49:02 pm »
IanG - I don't think it's been trimmed very well. From 164 to 173km (approximately) his heart rate falls to 70bpm, and his speed increases to 90km/h...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #709 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:00:26 pm »
I was just about to say the same thing - if you check the "analysis" page, his speed jumps to ~60mph, while his heart rate drops to ~78 - his lowest during the ride.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #710 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:02:07 pm »
IanG - I don't think it's been trimmed very well. From 164 to 173km (approximately) his heart rate falls to 70bpm, and his speed increases to 90km/h...

Ok, see what your saying - he may have gone 9km in the van and then realised 'shit, I didn't turn off the GPS' then stopped to do it so the rest of the transfer doesn't show in the data, but there was 9km that should have been removed aswell. 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #711 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »
That sounds about right.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #712 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:12:02 pm »
On his Garmin page he makes the comment that 101.5-107.5 miles was done in the car (which coincides with 164-173km) - so I assime he's flagged this with UMCA so that they are aware that the strava data is incorrect?

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/683635058/0?lang=en

« Reply #713 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »
On his Garmin page he makes the comment that 101.5-107.5 miles was done in the car (which coincides with 164-173km) - so I assime he's flagged this with UMCA so that they are aware that the strava data is incorrect?

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/683635058/0?lang=en

Hopefully! I don't think anyone is suggesting Kurt is trying to cheat - I'm certainly not. It would be awful if one of the riders got in trouble over something silly like that. I thought Strava was the official record. If it is, then it needs sorting out!

Sorry we seem to be having this discussion in two different places.

« Reply #714 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:15:56 pm »
It might be a good idea that UMCA allows an x number of days where the strava data can be corrected afterwards. In this way a single omission or error won't endanger the year results but it will keep people focussed on providing correct data. Something like once a month you may be late with uploading or have to correct minor errors on a later day.

« Reply #715 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »
He's on the Tamiami Trail, looks like he's done this before flat as a pancake looking at google maps, probably getting the most miles out of his recumbant.

course its flat, the highest point in the whole state is 345ft above sea level  ;D

« Reply #716 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:34:02 pm »
It strikes me as strange that UMCA have introduced rules about `no alcohol` yet here we have a situation where, and in no way am I implying Kurt is cheating, errors in not turning off GPS etc can be added in to daily mileage and then corrected later. I`d have thought UMCA should really tighten up on this to avoid future complications-

-AND AFAIK Steve seems to be doing the riding in a very true spirited way , I`ve not seen any vehicle transfers to `easier` terrain , instead  Steve is slogging it out in some really difficult weather from either MK or a host base. say no more...........
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #717 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
You don't get extra points for sportsmanship.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #718 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »

Just S**t loads of Kudos!   :)

« Reply #719 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:45:07 pm »

but you would get the honour of being a true British spirit  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #720 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:02:45 pm »

You do. Just that they're not counted by UMCA.

red marley

« Reply #721 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:03:05 pm »
Although it's worth remembering that Tommy Godwin was paced for some of his riding and used trains to travel to wind-favourable start points (but yes, Steve's 'pure' approach appeals to me too).

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #722 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:12:12 pm »
I suppose it's the difference in mentality, Kurt is an endurance racing cyclist and Steve an endurance challenge cyclist. I came from a racing background and if I had the ability to go for this record I'd be in Spanish planes or Australia doing 200+ miles with the wind and sleeping in a motorhome whilst being driven back to the same starting point overnight ;)

edit: However, I admire and respect Steve's simple purist approach and hope he's going to be the one who breaks (and holds) the record.

« Reply #723 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:22:19 pm »
-AND AFAIK Steve seems to be doing the riding in a very true spirited way , I`ve not seen any vehicle transfers to `easier` terrain , instead  Steve is slogging it out in some really difficult weather from either MK or a host base. say no more...........

Early days. Just because he's riding in the manner he is at the moment, there is nothing to say that things may not change. All he needs is miles in the bag. Drafting is allowed. I won't tell you where my thinking was taking me the other day - not repeating it here that's for sure ! But you could get very creative in the pursuit of miles. If you wanted too. If it's in the rules, then it's fine.

It's always worth remembering that Tommy G used trains to make use of tailwinds. And that's the rider who they're both looking to beat.

I think we all need to take our Audax Hats off when we're looking at this challenge  :)
Garry Broad

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #724 on: 29 January, 2015, 08:36:01 pm »
Quite.

And also remember that Steve's no fool - I suspect his approach is largely dictated by external constraints rather than ideology.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."