Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 450586 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #750 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:03:28 pm »
Tarzan appears to be swinging round in small circles today - possibly he doesn't want to stray too far from the nearest bike shop :demon:

;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #751 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:06:49 pm »
Not as small as the circles he was riding yesterday after his bike frame broke.

Riding up and down a driveway while he waited for the support vehicle to arrive, I think.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #752 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »
Yes well I did wonder if TG wanted to put in some time somewhere like Herne Hill...it has lights now as well
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #753 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
Hernia Hill is a swine to get to thobut - traffic lights and divers Londonton hazards abound.  If a velodrome was called into play I'd contemplate Reading, Welwyn or even Scunthorpe, though I don't know about lights at these places.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #754 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:18:39 pm »
I wonder how far Kurt has actually been today. All that going round and round in circles makes the trackers very inaccurate.

« Reply #755 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:18:53 pm »
Two things strike me after watching his videos on FB:

1. He always seems to be next to a hideously  busy and noisy road.  Not my image of a peaceful rural Florida at all.

2. He seems to be a really nice chap.  Which is a shame  :D

Bryn

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #756 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:13:33 pm »
Hernia Hill is a swine to get to thobut - traffic lights and divers Londonton hazards abound. 

I'd be happy to take him to Herne Hill from somewhere more rural.  Happy also to stick him and bike into the back of my cab when he's finished for the day: and run him somewhere out of London, perhaps to a host [can't offer hosting myself unfortunately] or back to MK. 

I don't know the practicalities of it but the offer is there.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #757 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »
Two things strike me after watching his videos on FB:

1. He always seems to be next to a hideously  busy and noisy road.  Not my image of a peaceful rural Florida at all.

2. He seems to be a really nice chap.  Which is a shame  :D

Bryn

Today he seems to have been doing a lot of riding up and down the same bit of road. Also seems to have spent some time on the Legacy Trail cycle track.

http://goo.gl/maps/7n05s

Impressive looking cycle/foot bridge

http://goo.gl/maps/G63Hp

Then suddenly he's turned east and he's off at a fair rate of knots.

I must admit I was quite happy to not like him, but I've warmed to him a bit. He comes across quite well and to be fair he has had a fair number of problems to overcome.

Despite that - COME ON STEVE !

LMT

« Reply #758 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:56:39 am »
Another 200+ miles in the bank.

GO TARZAN

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #759 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:16:43 am »
I think it's cardiovascular rather than breathing.  While an upright riding position is certainly good for breathing, a laid-back one is also better than a typical bike-riding crouch.

(I don't think my belly is particularly heavy, I carry my lard on my arse.)
I'm sure I read somewhere that your heart rate drops in a TT or bent position on a bike due to the lower pumping required to get blood to your head. If Kurt and Steves heart rates drop anymore they will turn blue!

« Reply #760 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:36:31 am »
Another 200+ miles in the bank.

GO TARZAN

Our very own YACF Tarzanite!    :D

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #761 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:38:28 am »
Is there a Yank-based forum where the Merkins are watching and commentating? Is Kurt getting the same level of online support that Steve is here?

Not that I'm partisan. I want them both to do well. (But Steve to do a bit better).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #762 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:41:17 am »
Not that I've found. There may well be some Facebook crap but I'm never going there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #763 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:45:24 am »
Comparing them on Strava - each of Steve's rides typically gets kudos from 1200-1500 people compared with 100-200 for Kurt's.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #764 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:53:56 am »
I think it's cardiovascular rather than breathing.  While an upright riding position is certainly good for breathing, a laid-back one is also better than a typical bike-riding crouch.

(I don't think my belly is particularly heavy, I carry my lard on my arse.)
I'm sure I read somewhere that your heart rate drops in a TT or bent position on a bike due to the lower pumping required to get blood to your head. If Kurt and Steves heart rates drop anymore they will turn blue!

Much easier to fill your lungs on a bent.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #765 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/75-065-miles-one-year-39240.html
(steady dribble of posts, inc a UMCA rep)

I would say facebook traffic is quiet (compared to UK-side), at least on Kurt's page. I haven't seen any chatter on the US audax pages.

It defintely feels like Stve has much the bigger following.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #766 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »
I am generally bemused about why Kurt has so few people giving him kudos on Strava or liking his FB updates.  It almost feels like the cycling/Strava "community" is no such thing, but simply the Metu tribe who have bought into the notion that Steve is doing this "properly" whilst Kurt is the anti-hero trying to steal the rightful crown.  Which is just not a worldview I can agree with.

Go Kurt and Steve

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #767 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:14:25 pm »
I've ridden lots with Steve but never heard of Kurt before late last year. I have philosophical preferences as to how some things should be done, regardless of the rules. Who do you think I am going to support?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #768 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:33:01 pm »
Ignorant is not applicable. You are welcome to the rest of your opinions.

EDIT: This is meaningless, because of a deleted post

« Reply #769 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:56:22 pm »
Comparing them on Strava - each of Steve's rides typically gets kudos from 1200-1500 people compared with 100-200 for Kurt's.

Strava is very popular in the UK, check out the global heat map

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-99.37940/50.51834/blue/bike

hillbilly

« Reply #770 on: 31 January, 2015, 01:04:59 pm »
I've ridden lots with Steve but never heard of Kurt before late last year. I have philosophical preferences as to how some things should be done, regardless of the rules. Who do you think I am going to support?

(this isn't directed at you)

I am also supporting Steve, particularly in his goal to achieve his (presumably) primary goal of exceeding Tommy's annual mileage (I'm less passionate about whether or not he exceeds Kurt's total, it's more of a mild preference).  I have "liked" and given kudos to Kurt, in recognition of his performance.  I don't believe these things are mutually exclusive and would have hoped others were grown up enough to do the same.  Both are doing exceptional things day-in day-out and neither have an exclusive right to win the HAM'R "time trial".

hillbilly

« Reply #771 on: 31 January, 2015, 01:06:17 pm »
P.S Who are the Metu tribe?

Say it out loud...

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #772 on: 31 January, 2015, 02:40:54 pm »

Strava is very popular in the UK, check out the global heat map

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-99.37940/50.51834/blue/bike
it will be TG that has caused that surge in the UK heatmap then?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #773 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »
Can we move a discussion about what is acceptable language on the forum to a different place so as not to distract from discussion about Kurt's ride please?

Agree

I think that's gone a bit wrong...

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #774 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:15:14 pm »
I don't understand? It was the discussion on acceptable language that needed to be split from the thread it was moving off topic - not the discussion on 'Tarzan' ???

I'm sure it was a genuine mistake, made by a newbie mod who isn't familiar with the function, and will be rectified just as soon as they work out what button to press.

Indeed  ;) ;D