Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452127 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #875 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:52:04 am »
Agreed. Kurt doesn't deserve the sniping, he is going about things in accordance with the rules and quite intelligently. I still prefer Steve's approach, of course.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #876 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:55:44 am »
Oh yes.  I am biased.  I know Steve, and know how big hearted a chap he is.  I want him to succeed, and not just hold the record for a few days till Kurt finishes.  I think Steve is riding this with a well-thought out plan, and I like the style in which he is doing this.

But Kurt is a contender, and is very resilient.  And I have respect for anyone who can bang out those distances day after day, whatever the circumstances.
Getting there...

« Reply #877 on: 03 February, 2015, 12:55:38 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #878 on: 03 February, 2015, 01:14:06 pm »
My father's cousin lived in Cocoa, Florida. He used to have a very good view of anything that took off from there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #879 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:55:59 pm »
https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/events/2015/february/launch-falcon9-dscovr.aspx

What Kurt might arrange to be near. Lucky sod.

The vibrations are incredible and can be felt for miles. KNowning kurts luck, it'll crack a frame or something

« Reply #880 on: 03 February, 2015, 04:33:44 pm »
Having ridden the Mille Miglia and quite a few other brevets at 200 miles a day, it isn't particularly difficult but doing it for weeks on end and in discouraging weather certainly is.

I fully agree but the negative comments must grate somewhat when you're out every day putting in the miles .

Paul

edit for spelling

Knowing Kurt, I'm positive that he's feeding off all the negative comments.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #881 on: 03 February, 2015, 07:47:59 pm »
According to fb he's had Garmin problems :(

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #882 on: 03 February, 2015, 07:57:10 pm »
Given the incredible shifts he's putting in (and lets be honest , only those NOT riding 200 miles a day are having a real go at him) I would not wish him ill.

Given his appalling run of 'luck' it looks like it would not be needed anyhow

P.s.  GO STEVE!!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #883 on: 03 February, 2015, 08:28:14 pm »
My impression is it was a dig at his detractors on Strava etc , most days their seem to be comments about how flat Florida is , how warm Florida is and how easy Kurt is having it compared to Steve , as if doing 200+ miles a day is easy  ::-)  .

Paul

If it's that easy, why aren't these detractors having a go at it?

I don't care if Kurt is cycling slightly downhill with a tailwind: >320k a day, every day,  is still extraordinary.

With respect to Steve, anyone who has ridden over 100 miles in a day in the current weather will respect what he is doing.

H

« Reply #884 on: 03 February, 2015, 09:05:16 pm »
^^^+1
It takes guts & determination of a higher order than most for both these guys to do what they are doing every day. I for one couldn't do it.

Still want Steve to be victorious though! :thumbsup:

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #885 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:08:47 pm »
My impression is it was a dig at his detractors on Strava etc , most days their seem to be comments about how flat Florida is , how warm Florida is and how easy Kurt is having it compared to Steve , as if doing 200+ miles a day is easy  ::-)  .

Paul

If it's that easy, why aren't these detractors having a go at it?

I don't care if Kurt is cycling slightly downhill with a tailwind: >320k a day, every day,  is still extraordinary.

With respect to Steve, anyone who has ridden over 100 miles in a day in the current weather will respect what he is doing.

H

Well said H

I notice from the tracker that he's now passed 5000 miles in 25 days.

« Reply #886 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:02:33 pm »
Wonder how long Tarzan's going to stay in Florida?
What's he got, 4 months decent mild weather before things start to get a bit more unpredictable?
Garry Broad

LMT

« Reply #887 on: 03 February, 2015, 11:12:43 pm »
Looks to be another 200+ mile day - bravo.

On the other had he has a fb message asking if anyone has an Edge 705 that they can sell him. Whether his one is on the blink or if he is looking for a spare I don't know, but being a critical item of kit you'd have thought he would have had a back up.

Anyways, go Tarzan. If it carries on like this and he does not get sick it'll be over come the Spring. :demon:

« Reply #888 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:49:28 am »
He has only posted 125 miles. Looks like he's had more bad luck.

« Reply #889 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:27:39 am »
That was his second ride of the day - the first was 'only' 80 miles.

« Reply #890 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:40:00 am »
That was his second ride of the day - the first was 'only' 80 miles.

Oops - missed the first one!

« Reply #891 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:55:50 am »
This is the correct way to upload a ride with a transport by car section in the middle.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #892 on: 04 February, 2015, 07:50:49 am »
I think the 'transport' might have been a consequence of a Garmin problem this time round?

According to fb he's had Garmin problems :(

« Reply #893 on: 04 February, 2015, 09:23:54 am »
Anyways, go Tarzan. If it carries on like this and he does not get sick it'll be over come the Spring. :demon:
Spring is when it all really starts - this is just the prelude ;)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #894 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:17:32 am »

At current average mileage Kurt will draw level with Steve around the start of May. However the average daily mileage for both riders will start to go up way before then. Neither rider is churning out the 205.6 miles/day needed to take the record. A long way to go yet ;)

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #895 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:24:59 pm »
Anyone else see the FB post about Kirk separating from his wife? Looks like it is to do with his record attempt

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #896 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:26:35 pm »
Just seen that myself, seems a bit extreme after 25yrs of marriage  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

LMT

« Reply #897 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »
No idea about the separation, can't believe that sort of thing would be beamed out over FB.

On another note on his riding schedule he's got down that he is riding the Sebring event which is in a couple of weeks time. He's the overall record holder for the 12hr TT which currently stands at 271 miles. :o. With Sebring being in Florida, it'd be no surprise if he does.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #898 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »
Anyone else see the FB post about Kirk separating from his wife? Looks like it is to do with his record attempt

Yes, I saw that too.  :(

On another note on his riding schedule he's got down that he is riding the Sebring event which is in a couple of weeks time. He's the overall record holder for the 12hr TT which currently stands at 271 miles. :o. With Sebring being in Florida, it'd be no surprise if he does.

Beryl Burton holds the RTTC 12hr record with 277.25 miles set in 1967
Andy Wilkinson holds the mens with 317.97 set in 2012

But then there's a difference in riding a 12hr tt as a one off, with recovery days to follow, and riding a 12hr TT when you intend to cycle another 12hrs the day after and after and after and....................

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #899 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:36:40 pm »
I expect he posted that on Facebook for clarification and to put an end innuendo and gossip - maybe this has been a topic for discussion elsewhere. But it is very much his own business and personally I would rather see discussion here focus solely on his record attempt, not his personal life, especially as most of us don't know him personally (not that knowing Steve would be an excuse to discuss his personal life either).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."