Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460325 times)

hillbilly

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1325 on: 21 February, 2015, 02:46:08 am »
Not cool.  I hope he is ok.   Go Kurt.  Go slightly more Steve.

« Reply #1326 on: 21 February, 2015, 04:14:52 am »
From Drew Clark, UMCA-

Due to the several misinterpretations of the rules governing alcohol, UMCA is providing this clarification:

Alcohol may not be consumed at any time between the start and finish of all miles ridden that will be logged for that day. If alcohol is consumed after the riding for that day has been completed, a rider must allow sufficient time to elapse to ensure that alcohol has cleared the rider’s system before starting their next ride.

Comments regarding this issue:
This is a new interpretation of pre-existing rule. Alcohol consumption was already prohibited before this. At no time would alcohol at midday have been allowed. But two interpretations were possible:
1. HAM’R is a sanctioned attempt from start to finish; therefore no alcohol at all for the entire year.
2. HAM’R is different from other attempts in that other attempts feature non-stop riding. So the no-alcohol rule should apply only during, or before, the riding time each day. Thus, a drink after the day’s riding is done could be allowed.

UMCA has opted for interpretation #2 and does so with the wording above.

UMCA recommends that all HAM’R riders be aware that the main body of rules still governs, with the Appendix B of HAM’R rules being an addendum thereto. The Rules are posted on the UMCA website and each rider, or delegate thereof, should download the current version and follow those rules in their entirety.

UMCA Records Chairman

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1327 on: 21 February, 2015, 05:43:29 am »
That is a big step towards something sensible/ practical, though still a little over the top.

It'll be interesting to see whether Kurt will be penalised for this and other rule infractions, such as recording tracker mileage while he is transferring in a vehicle. Kurt lists such mileage, both on Strava and in his own spreadsheet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1328 on: 21 February, 2015, 05:45:28 am »

Also note that PBP generally gives away a tin of (fairly weak) beer at the 600km mark (the clock is still running). I found it a boon -  I slept like a log for 30mins or so. Set off refreshed and ready to go. If anything it increased my safety.

LOL. I read that as "I slept like a log for 30 miles or so...."

« Reply #1329 on: 21 February, 2015, 06:07:38 am »
There was whisky for breakfast on LEL 09 at the secret control

It's like the champagne for the riders on the last day of the TdF, it's just there for fun, no ones going to get hammered and crash out

« Reply #1330 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:01:14 am »
I think what's been overlooked in all this is that Kurt was presumably drinking an American beer which surely doesn't count as real beer anyway.  :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

red marley

« Reply #1331 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:21:38 am »
Is it trash talking to suggest that Steve has an advantage because our beer is warm and flat?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1332 on: 21 February, 2015, 07:23:21 am »
While the BEER from major USAnian breweries is every bit as good as USAnian tea they are capable of making some very palatable stuff these days.  This Unit recommends the IPA from the Full Sail Brewery of Hood River OR.  Thanks, Jeff  O:-)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1333 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:53:38 am »
Yep, the USAnian artisan breweries are every bit as varied and enticing as the UK real ale scene. And, at last, the UCMA has made a sensible compromise ruling. I guess that there may be a small penalty for Kurt's lunchtime beer, but it'll hopefully be insignificant. The car mileage issue needs to be put to bed now, too. And GWS, Kurt - I never expected this thing to turn out so exciting, and it would be a much duller thing without him.

« Reply #1334 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:02:26 am »
In terms of Leftpondian beer, Goose Island IPA is where it's at.

« Reply #1335 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:41:48 am »
There was whisky for breakfast on LEL 09 at the secret control

It's like the champagne for the riders on the last day of the TdF, it's just there for fun, no ones going to get hammered and crash out

I have a friend who got totally off his face on PBP 2011. He thought he only had 50 miles or so to go and plenty of time so drank a nice bottle of wine with his baguette in the sun. He tried to ride off but felt too drunk so lay down at the roadside for a bit of a kip. Eventually someone he knew rode past and pointed out there was still 230k to go. He hadn't realised there was a different route on the return leg to Paris  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1336 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:02:48 am »
Yep, the USAnian artisan breweries are every bit as varied and enticing as the UK real ale scene. And, at last, the UCMA has made a sensible compromise ruling. I guess that there may be a small penalty for Kurt's lunchtime beer, but it'll hopefully be insignificant. The car mileage issue needs to be put to bed now, too. And GWS, Kurt - I never expected this thing to turn out so exciting, and it would be a much duller thing without him.
Is this trash talk - are you saying Steve's ride is dull???

;)

Apart from that,  a very good post!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1337 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:10:19 am »
Is it trash talking to suggest that Steve has an advantage because our beer is warm and flat?
;D
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #1338 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:23:27 am »
Lots of USAnian beers in spoons at the moment all brewed by Adnams etc though; has anyone tried the real thing and how does it compare?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1339 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:34:58 am »
Lots of USAnian beers in spoons at the moment all brewed by Adnams etc though; has anyone tried the real thing and how does it compare?
I don't really get on with Adnams beer in pubs,  so I'd probably try the Yank option in that situation!

I can vouch for this stuff (bought in Sainsburys,  who do a few US beers):
http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

p.s. are we off-topic yet?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1340 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:36:02 am »
Audax Club Portsmouth have been following Beergate very closely however I am aware of a splinter group who are planning to intercept Kurt and drag him off to a bar every Wednesday to encourage an open infringement of the YMCA ruling on such matters.

Some have even deliberately misunderstood his challenge to read "Come and drink beer with me and hey, perhaps we will go for a bike ride". I know what these people are like and once they are have scented beer, they are relentless.

H

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1341 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:43:36 am »
Good luck to them - I hope he pays up the pledged $200, even when he realises they plan to drink the whole lot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1342 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:10:09 pm »
Nearly all my winter rides start with a nip of the old hip flask.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1343 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:50:16 pm »
+1 for Sierra Nevada though sadly I didn't get to its home town of Chico until last year :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1344 on: 21 February, 2015, 01:35:59 pm »
Should Kurt ride in Texas I can recommend a visit to Shiner, a town heavily influenced by German / Czech immigrant culture... as is their rather fine beer.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1345 on: 22 February, 2015, 12:22:47 am »
You're not worthy.

hillbilly

« Reply #1346 on: 22 February, 2015, 08:27:12 am »
Another solid day, putting a further 30 miles into Steve. 

His wee video suggests he's trying to maintain a 200 mile average (so a longer ride after Friday might be expected).  It was also another day when he was cut up be a car turning into a car park.  Made me think Florida is not a cool place to be out on a bike, given the number of collisions etc he's reporting.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1347 on: 22 February, 2015, 08:56:11 am »
It always seems, too, that when talking to camera the sound of traffic whizzing by is really loud. It doesn't sound at all appealing!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1348 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:27:31 am »
I have to say that his messing about with his camper van's sewage outlet pipe immedately followed by eating a sandwich didn't give a good impression! Also, he had to do some work for "the office".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1349 on: 22 February, 2015, 09:35:43 am »
Made me think Florida is not a cool place to be out on a bike, given the number of collisions etc he's reporting.

But just think, at the end of the year, when he's famous across the US, of the number of people who will be able to say "I had that Kurt Searvogel on the side of my car!" and have the Kurt-shaped dent to prove it.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike