Author Topic: Problems with windows 10-- puttingroutes onto gamin etrex  (Read 1783 times)

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
Problems with windows 10-- puttingroutes onto gamin etrex
« on: 08 September, 2016, 09:09:51 pm »
After 5 good years,putting Audax routes onto my laptop and then passing them onto my etrex GPS,using BikeHike I have now moved on toWindows 10 and can no longer do this. I am using Internet Explorer latest version and have installed Garmin Communication software, but no luck so far.
Surely there must be lots of you new Windows 10 folk who have suffered as I have. Please could anyone help me?       

Re: Problems with windows 10-- puttingroutes onto gamin etrex
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2016, 09:26:05 pm »
I never got the Bikehike direct download to work.  I always download to the pc then copy/paste to the Garmin/gpx folder. 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »
The old Garmin Communicator web browser plug-in no longer works with the Edge browser in Windows 10.
Most modern browsers have discontinued support for plug-ins like this.

Old Internet Explorer is still there, hiding behind the sofa ( Type "Internet Explorer" in the search box beside the start button ), and it will probably still work with the plug-in.

Personally, I would download the tracks etc and either manually place them on the device or more usually load them up into Basecamp or Mapsource for inspection, and then use their 'Send To Device' function.

« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2016, 09:41:38 pm »
Yes, I tend to inspect/fettle in Basecamp.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:48:18 am »
I never got the Bikehike direct download to work.  I always download to the pc then copy/paste to the Garmin/gpx folder.

If it's an old-style Etrex (the OP doesn't specify) then it's a bit more complicated than that.  You have to use PC software that can address the Etrex, such as Mapsource or Basecamp or even Memory Map or GPSBabel.  A mere transfer via a file manager won't cut it.  If it's a new-style Etrex then yes, just use a file manager.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:21:41 am »

If it's an old-style Etrex (the OP doesn't specify) then it's a bit more complicated than that.  You have to use PC software that can address the Etrex, such as Mapsource or Basecamp or even Memory Map or GPSBabel.  A mere transfer via a file manager won't cut it.  If it's a new-style Etrex then yes, just use a file manager.

I've just retired my semi-ancient, rubber band-less but fully functioning Etrex Legend (to hillwalking as an electronic map) because of this.  Was having a computer problem and in re-loading the Garmin Communicator plug-in there were all sorts of death warnings if you downloaded the file.  Firefox definitely did not like the plug-in. No plug-in problem as the old file had been downloaded a couple of years ago.

I did manage to get it to download in the end, but then the computer would no longer recognise the plug-in, so I gave up and bought a 2nd hand Edge Touring Plus.  No plug-in, works as a USB device with RidewithGPS (used BikeHike with the Legend), but now have the battery life problem of course.  Ho hum.  Progress.