Author Topic: Etrex 30x instructions  (Read 3719 times)

Etrex 30x instructions
« on: 13 October, 2016, 08:33:27 am »
I am looking for an idiots guide for using the etrex30x for following a route and then downloading to garmin connect/ strava.

With the edge 705 I loaded the route as a GPX track from bikehike, selected it then pressed start and followed the trail on the map. Once finished I held lap/reset to reset the unit, then plugged in to the commuter and garmin express uploaded it automatically.

As I understand it with the etrex I upload the GPX route ( do I have to worry about numbers of points), select it from track manager and then select Go. But before that I have to clear the dashboard data?

Once finished I stop and save the track revording, plug the device into my computer (Mac) in mass storage mode and navigate to the archive folder so I can manually upload to garmin connect.

Is that correct or am I missing something out.

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Etrex 30x instructions
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2016, 09:47:54 am »
With the edge 705 I loaded the route as a GPX track from bikehike, selected it then pressed start and followed the trail on the map. Once finished I held lap/reset to reset the unit, then plugged in to the commuter and garmin express uploaded it automatically.

As I understand it with the etrex I upload the GPX route ( do I have to worry about numbers of points), select it from track manager and then select Go. But before that I have to clear the dashboard data?

I find it's easiest to use a file manager to copy the GPX file(s) to the /Garmin/GPX/ folder either on the GPS itself or on the mSD card, it doesn't matter which.  One file can have numerous tracks and/or routes and/or waypoints, or you can use numerous separate files.

Be sure to 'unmount' or 'eject' the GPS before disconnecting it from the PC Mac.

Then to navigate your main option is 'Where To?'
Click that and you will be offered numerous categories of places to go to (transport, hospitals, etc etc) and these categories will include 'Tracks' and/or 'Routes'.  Choose that and you'll see a list of available named Tracks or Routes.  Choose the one you want and click 'Go'.  You will get a purple line to follow on the map, you'll probably have to zoom the map in a lot to get a sensible display.

Tracks can be up to 10,000 points, which is a lot.  Routes are limited to 50 points if you want to autoroute - or 250 if you don't mind straight lines between turns.  Both these limits are ample for a long day ride.

You shouldn't need to save anything, the factory default is to archive and clear the tracklog daily.  You may want to reset the odometer, it doesn't do that automatically when the tracklog is cleared.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
Before you get to the point of uploading it might be worth thinking about whether you want to follow a 'track' or a 'route'. The former is a passive but fairly clear magenta line on the map, you control the level of detail by zooming in/out (this is where the 10,000 trackpoint limitation comes in).  Routes give you turn by turn directions, beep alerts, autozooming and big white arrows at junctions (this is limited to 50 waypoints and also needs to be split between out and back on a circular route).  After some trialling of routing I now favour tracks because it's reliable and because it takes you exactly along the plotted track rather than thinking for itself and taking you where it thinks is the best 'route' between two waypoints. 

I would suggest downloading Basecamp.  My workflow is usually. Plot route in RWGPS, export as a GPX, open a new 'list' in basecamp, import GPX, this will appear as a track, check it doesn't exceed 10,000 points (if it does use the filter to downsize or split), split the track if there is any confusion between out and back or if it's easier to mark out the stages of an audax and ensure that you don't miss a control, rename all the tracks (part 1 ... etc). If you wanted to this is where you could convert the track to a route and limit it to 50 waypoints, I don't do this but my understanding is that it's crucial to get the location of your waypoints right. Then with Etrex plugged in as a spearate drive and the 'list' in basecamp highlighted, click the send to device button.  Then as Frankie explained, dismount the etrex, use the 'where to' and choose tracks or routes and you should see what you've loaded on to the unit.

In terms of using, saving etc. At the start of a ride I go from the data screen to menu and clear the track and the associated data, there is now one selection that does both.  Load the track and go.  At the end I always go to the track manager on the main menu and save the current track. Connect to the PC and find the saved track and then do a manual upload to Connect, Strava or RWGPS.

« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2016, 09:09:21 pm »
At the end I always go to the track manager on the main menu and save the current track.

I then "archive" the saved track (not sure if this is necessary), to avoid any more distance being added for the last bit to home, or any time being added.

I've still got a lot to learn, grateful for all the advice on here, thanks.

Basecamp shows me only very crude mapping - doesn't affect the file handling, so doesn't really matter, but is there a good way of getting better mapping with Basecamp?

JonB

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
Basecamp shows me only very crude mapping - doesn't affect the file handling, so doesn't really matter, but is there a good way of getting better mapping with Basecamp?
I have OSM maps on the Etrex, plug the Etrex into the USB and they should then become the default map on Basecamp while it is running via the USB and it should also show in the Maps drop down on the toolbar. I did try and install OSM maps onto Basecamp following Frankie's guide but it didn't work (I'm sure the problem was with me and not the guide) and I didn't follow it up as I've got by with the Etrex unit plugged in.

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2016, 10:52:51 pm »
At the end I always go to the track manager on the main menu and save the current track.

I then "archive" the saved track (not sure if this is necessary), to avoid any more distance being added for the last bit to home, or any time being added.

I've still got a lot to learn, grateful for all the advice on here, thanks.

I shared my osm based maps with some friends ahead of the Wild Atlantic Way. Here's the instructions i gave them to follow. If you think you could follow them then happy to share with you.

On the USB stick

1.       Folder Garmin.
a.       Drag this folder to your C drive.  It may take about replace existing folder contents, say yes. It should end up as C:\Garmin\maps\....
2.       Folder Etrex
a.       Contains another folder called Garmin. Drag the Garmin folder to the memory card of your Etrex.
3.       File OSM50-GB-May2016.reg , double click on it to update the Windows Registry for Basecamp
4.       File OSM50-IRL-May2016.reg , double click on it to update the Windows Registry for Basecamp

If all has gone well, then maps should appear on your Etrex (if not check they are enabled via settings - map – choose map in setup). In Basecamp under the maps menu you should see OSM50-GB-May2016 and OSM50-IRL-May2016, click on the one you want to work with. Zoom in, enjoy.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2016, 11:02:34 pm »
Best to install the maps in BaseCamp, it means you don't need the Etrex plugged in, and should be faster to load.

Probably easiest option is to use this website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Pick a complete country, or just specific tiles if you want. Then it gives you several options to download, you need to pick the one named something like "osm_generic_windows.exe". Then just run that, and follow the prompts, to install the maps in BaseCamp.

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2016, 06:55:07 am »
Many thanks Jon, Phil and Fuaran - I'll work on it....

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:05:02 am »
Routes give you turn by turn directions, beep alerts, autozooming and big white arrows at junctions (this is limited to 50 waypoints and also needs to be split between out and back on a circular route).

This works reasonably well with Garmin's own maps, but now they've taken to supplying maps that are mostly OSM data, I imagine many people won't feel a need to pay for better mapping, and OSM data surely isn't reliable enough for good routing over distance.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JonB

« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:16:57 am »
Best to install the maps in BaseCamp, it means you don't need the Etrex plugged in, and should be faster to load.

Probably easiest option is to use this website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Pick a complete country, or just specific tiles if you want. Then it gives you several options to download, you need to pick the one named something like "osm_generic_windows.exe". Then just run that, and follow the prompts, to install the maps in BaseCamp.

Yes, you're probably right - it's that thing of not wanting to undermine a system when it's working.  Thanks for the link and I'll give it a go.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
...and OSM data surely isn't reliable enough for good routing over distance.
Yes, it is, it works fine for me.
Though it is worth checking in Basecamp where the route goes, and adding more points as required, to encourage it to follow the correct roads etc.