Author Topic: Vegetarian recipe book  (Read 10249 times)

Vegetarian recipe book
« on: 26 September, 2008, 08:36:43 am »
Hi,

after reading a few bits over the last few weeks I have decided to try a vegetarian diet for a while. Can anyone recommend me a good recipe book or website?

thanks in advance.

Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Vegetarian recipe book
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2008, 09:10:38 am »

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2008, 04:38:15 pm »
Anything by Rose Eliot - 'Vegetarian Express' is quick and easy stuff

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2008, 04:46:38 pm »
The Vegetarian Student Cookbook (ignore the title!) has lots of easy recipes, although I do end up using a lot of them as a starting point rather than following them to the letter.  Cranks Bible is pretty comprehensive, although my mum prefers the older style Cranks cookbooks.  I also like the M&S book, but there are a lot of risotto recipes in that book.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2008, 05:06:50 pm »
the great vegetarian cookbook by Rosamund Richardson.Coloured pictures to inspire.
Reader's Digest the complete vegetarian cookbook by Sarah Brown.Coloured pictures and a considerable amount of nutritional information.
Eastern Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey.Nice coloured picture of her on the cover.
Invitation to Mediterranean Cooking by Claudia Roden.Good if you also eat  fish..

I bought these four from Amazon's second hand dealers quite cheaply.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2008, 05:08:36 pm »
If you can get a book by Arto der Haroutunian, they contain the most wonderful vegetarian dishes from the middle east.  Only one of the books is completely veggie, but they all have plenty to work with/adapt. :)
Getting there...

Pete

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2008, 05:38:41 pm »
Two old favourites from Rose Elliot:
Not Just a Load of Old Lentils
and
The Bean Book

We've used them a lot, over the years!

goatpebble

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »
Some of the best stuff is not by veggie authors. My favourite is Jane Grigson's classic vegetable book.

Also, look at Elizabeth David. Traditional stuff, and a reminder of how good real English food can be.

The 'meat' thing can often make us forget how good and varied our food can be. Meat is a luxury, and our ancestors knew this. Our traditional foods often included days when we accepted alternatives. Good cooks just get on with preparing stuff, with what is available. The 'vegetarian' tag is not always helpful.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2008, 07:18:35 am »
I went Veggie for 8 months... Tried eating Fish / eggs.. can't cook fish very well... found I was replacing Protein with carbs, so I gained weight... Bugger... Lost muscle mass... double bugger..

Went back to eating meat... have lost some fat, gained a lot more muscle in my legs (they're now HUGE)...

Still uneasy with the fact that I eat meat... but can't find a way around it.

I was veggie for 19 years and went vegan in June 2007.  What sort of things were you eating to embark on a carbo fest?

The amount of protein that is actually needed is often vastly overstated anyway.

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »
Some of the best stuff is not by veggie authors. My favourite is Jane Grigson's classic vegetable book.

Seconded, plus books by Claudia Roden - not strictly "vegetarian", just meals that don't contain meat.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Corvine

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:07:08 pm »
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen is a favourite with me. It's eminently adaptable as well if you don't want to make the dishes exactly as she does and it gives you lots of ideas for good stodge fests, soups, stews, casseroles, etc. which is the sort of food I like.

goatpebble

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2008, 10:03:57 pm »
If you can get a book by Arto der Haroutunian, they contain the most wonderful vegetarian dishes from the middle east.  Only one of the books is completely veggie, but they all have plenty to work with/adapt. :)

Strongly recommended. This will make you want to travel and explore! This is classic stuff, and an essential for anyone building a library of real use.

ps. sorry Clarion, I replied without reading your excellent suggestion!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2008, 01:14:32 pm »
The 'meat' thing can often make us forget how good and varied our food can be. Meat is a luxury, and our ancestors knew this. Our traditional foods often included days when we accepted alternatives. Good cooks just get on with preparing stuff, with what is available. The 'vegetarian' tag is not always helpful.
Fridays
Lent
Christmas Eve
etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.