Author Topic: Recovery from break  (Read 1819 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Recovery from break
« on: 21 March, 2013, 03:36:34 pm »
I have not touched the bike since December, nearly 3 months.  Prior to that I did a commute of around 34miles a couple of days a week.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get back into it, other than taking it steady.

Also, how long would it be before I would get up to speed again (although I was never that quick, averaging around 13 mph on a good day)

thanks

AAO

Re: Recovery from break
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2013, 01:25:46 am »
I had a long lay off due to having some pretty serious operations (full anaesthetic jobbies) on my nose in December. I started gently in February, mixing road and turbo + a weekly one hour session of light weights and rowing (machine) in the gym; by last week I had built up to a 90 mile week after these first two months. All very frustrating but I am now feeling reasonably good after feeling lousy at first.
I have another small op to improve things cosmetically in the next 6 weeks (just day surgery this time), which will keep me off the bike for a further month. I'm hoping that it will be a quicker process getting back and with luck the weather will be on my side this time.
My advise is to increase your effort incrementally, keep a record of what you are doing - I do weight, distance, time and average heart rate. Don't try to push yourself to much too soon.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:52:04 am »
My riding partner came round to my house one day wearing a fez, saying stuff like "Just like that, just like that."

I looked at him puzzled.

He said "I've had some rest and re- Cooper - ation."

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2013, 09:04:59 am »
Thanks, I have done some hour and half an hour rides, although with this wind it feels much more difficult.  Should start commuting tomorrow.