Author Topic: Powertap questions  (Read 20987 times)

amaferanga

Re: Powertap questions
« Reply #50 on: 17 February, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »
I've emailed Cyclepowermeters to see if they'll do a PowerTap SL Track as a rental to give it a play.

I've also asked them what they think of the reliability and suitability of them being used on the road in all weather (I've no plans to use them on the track). I'll post a summary of any response I get.

No response, will try emailing them again.

(I don't know whether they're crap or their replies aren't getting to me. I don't want to have a go at them only to find out they dutifully replied to my emails but I never saw any response. Does anyone have any experience of Cyclepowermeters.com?)

IME they're just crap.  I ordered a hire PT at the end of 2009, but then after waiting for over a month decided to buy one (from elsewhere) instead.  Tried phone CPM, but couldn't get through so emailed to say I didn't want the hire powertap any longer.  Then about a month later I got a phone call from them saying that my powertap was ready!

So either they don't get emails or they don't read them or someone reads them and forgets and then does nothing about it.

« Reply #51 on: 17 February, 2011, 04:37:57 pm »
Guessed as much.

I tried to hire a PT wheel from CPM in the past. I completed the payment section on the website, filled in the hire agreement, scanned it in as PDF and emailed it to them.

I spent the next two weeks kind of expecting a a package to arrive.

Nothing.

That was 18 months ago. I can only assume they just couldn't be arsed to process the order. They took no money (and the credit card I used has expired now so I'm not worried).

I might give them a call tomorrow...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #52 on: 22 February, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
A response!

(I asked him if they were going to offer the fixed 'Track' version for rent, plus whether they were for use purely indoors on the track.)

At the moment we have no plans to rent the track versions. The track market is so much smaller and your is the first enquiry for one that until there is more demand we cannot commit the funding to it.

I will find out about the waterproofness of the hubs. The torque tube is the same as all the other powertaps so the electronics will be sealed in resin like all the standard hubs. Saris have run these hubs full of salt water for 3 months to test water resistance so I think you would be ok to use it outside but I will let you know the official responce.

I havent heard about any problems with the breaking. But we have only sold 2 so maybe not enough to have had any problems.

Goes back on my hmm list for a while...

simonp

« Reply #53 on: 22 February, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »
The main waterproofing issues is with the battery carrier surely, since this is the only part that is outside the hub and is only protected by an o-ring seal.  I have a wireless SL and have done the K & SW, Denmead 600, Border Raid, Rural South 300 and Mille Cymru.  The K & SW was wet on day 1, Border Raid was properly wet on day 2.  Mille Cymru was drizzle on day 2.  No problems at all so far, apart from the wheel needing retruing during day 3 of the MC.

When you change the battery you'll see that there are resin blobs so the only parts possibly exposed to water are those outside the hub, under the dust cap: the ribbon connector and the battery caddy.  There are O-ring seals on the cap and it's a good idea to re-grease these when changing the battery.  I've never bothered, though.

« Reply #54 on: 24 January, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »
Purchase on hold anyway (as I'm skint...)

3 and a bit years later and I buy one! Ordered it from Evans from all places as it's down to £595: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cycleops/powertap-pro-track-hub-ec036004

Also ordered a couple of the 1/8" splined cogs (17T and 18T) from Hubjub (cheapest I could find at £25 each).

When it arrives I'll get my trustworthy LBS[1] to build it into a wheel.

1. Stratton's on East Hill in Wandsworth. Previous trustworthy more local LBS was W.F.Holdsworth in Putney but it shut down recently.

« Reply #55 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
It has arrived and it is off to LBS this evening. Will hopefully have something by the weekend (depends on rim availability). Also waiting for the splined cogs to arrive.

« Reply #56 on: 26 February, 2014, 11:58:20 am »
It has arrived and it is off to LBS this evening. Will hopefully have something by the weekend (depends on rim availability). Also waiting for the splined cogs to arrive.

Ha! LBS still awaiting delivery of the Open Pro CD to build it into. Maybe this weekend.

« Reply #57 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:42:50 am »

Ha! LBS still awaiting delivery of the Open Pro CD to build it into. Maybe this weekend.

Picked it up this weekend (Mavic took an age for the Open Pro CD). Quick spin around the block and all seems well. Just have to find the time to take it out for a proper blast around the Surrey Hills or just a bunch of Richmond Park laps.