Author Topic: Help me refurbish my old road bike  (Read 17066 times)

Imagedude

Help me refurbish my old road bike
« on: 19 June, 2011, 03:38:56 am »
I want to get my old road bike back on the road. The BB and chainset need replacing, can I get a modern stylee BB to replace the old school ball bearing BB? It's a 10 speed bike but I'd like to convert to singlespeed, what parts do I need and who sells them?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Imagedude

Re: Help me refurbish my old road bike
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2011, 04:22:21 am »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2011, 07:46:22 am »
Have a trawl around ebay.

The BB will probably be English thread, so something like the Sturmley Archer chainset and BB that are widely available on there wold fit.

Then you either need to replace or convert your back wheel.  Again a quick search on eBay will find a range of conversion kits or complete wheelsets,
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2011, 07:50:08 am »
A v good source of advice and parts for converting to SS is charlie bikemonger bike shop single speed fixed wheel bicycles

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2011, 09:46:33 am »
I want to get my old road bike back on the road. The BB and chainset need replacing, can I get a modern stylee BB to replace the old school ball bearing BB? It's a 10 speed bike but I'd like to convert to singlespeed, what parts do I need and who sells them?

Decide on the chainset before the BB, as this will dictate the BB type and axle length.  You could use the existing chainset, but neater and cheap enough would be to replace it for single-chainring job.  Yes a modern BB could be fitted.

The trickiest thing will be deciding what size gear to have :)  I can't advise on that since it was a looong time since I rode SS.  It might be worth trying more than one sprocket.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
Then you either need to replace or convert your back wheel.  Again a quick search on eBay will find a range of conversion kits or complete wheelsets,

My guess is that that's an old freewheel, not a cassette.  In which case it's an easy conversion of the existing wheel, no kits needed:

Fixed wheel on the cheap

If you want singlespeed, just put a SS freewheel on instead of a fixed sprocket.  You'll need a back brake, though, so you have to do the spoke-key stuff to get the rim central

I would keep the chainset too - nice old TA - and with SS the chainline isn't critical.  I'd leave it with the existing BB to start, see which ring lines up best with the sprocket and either replace the BB with the same length in a modern cartridge-bearing type, or change the BB length to suit if needed based on what the old one does for the chainline.

rdaviesb

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
I would keep the chainset too - nice old TA

+1. Seriously nice chainset!

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2011, 01:23:50 pm »
I would keep the chainset too - nice old TA

+1. Seriously nice chainset!

And Spa Cycles stock a wide range of chainrings, once you've decided what size is best.

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2011, 01:26:24 pm »
What MV said.  

For the most simple approach, remove, service and refit the bottom bracket, remove inner ring fron chainset and refit it.  Remove freewheel from rear wheel and replace with singlespeed sprocket (you can get them with a freewheel ratchet in.)  Redish rear wheel so it's not dished anymore and respace the axle so it's central in the frame.  

This may be the tricky bit as the nipples may have corroded onto the spokes and you'll break them when you turn them.  If this is the case you're better off replacing them anyway IMHO.  

The alternative would be to buy a rear track hub and build your rim onto it - if it's a 5 speed a 120mm (standard) OLN track hub will fit right in.  This is what I'd be inclined to do as you will then be able to fit a lockring to keep the sprocket in place.  You could also get a flip-flop to have a freewheel sprocket one side and fixed the other.  And this really should be fixed!

Where are you based?

Imagedude

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2011, 10:05:14 pm »
Where are you based?

North Wales, Liverpool or Slough...

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2011, 05:13:36 pm »
Where are you based?

North Wales, Liverpool or Slough...

Nowhere near the bunker unfortunately or I'd have offered to help. 

« Reply #11 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:01:35 am »
Old bikes are not about market value. It's simply nice work to refurbish old bikes and get them back doing what they were built for, a nice day out on the road. Especially when it's a more special type of frame of a lesser known constructor. The used TA crank let's me suspect that the frame is of serious quality. Cheap frames usually weren't outfitted with such an interesting (and expensive) crankset.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:46:21 am »
I would agree it's not worth doing up with fully modern multi-gears and brakes and everything, but the OP just wants to convert to SS.  That shouldn't be too expensive.  In fact old frames like this are popular for others converting to SS or fixed.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Imagedude

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:01:47 pm »
Old bikes are not about market value. It's simply nice work to refurbish old bikes and get them back doing what they were built for, a nice day out on the road. Especially when it's a more special type of frame of a lesser known constructor. The used TA crank let's me suspect that the frame is of serious quality. Cheap frames usually weren't outfitted with such an interesting (and expensive) crankset.

The frame is 531 tubing made by Keith Coppell in 1982. KC was previously the main frame builder for Harry Quinn. Other components are Shimano 600 or Cinelli.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:04:26 pm »
Well worth preserving

My Harry Hall is a similar vintage and I'd have no qualms about putting decent kit on that frame

« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2011, 04:08:26 am »

The frame is 531 tubing made by Keith Coppell in 1982. KC was previously the main frame builder for Harry Quinn. Other components are Shimano 600 or Cinelli.

That sounds excellent.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 30 June, 2011, 10:02:50 am »
Absolutely worth looking after.  My Woodrup (see avatar) is from 1980, and I use it reasonably regularly.  Last year, I swapped the Campag Record groupset for Shimano 600 Arabesque (with a few pieces of 105).  it is an object of great beauty and wonderful workmanship, as well as a delight to ride.  I look forward to seeing what you do with your Coppell.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2011, 07:26:31 pm »
You might not appreciate this post but down the line be it 6 months, a year, 2 years or 3 you will perhaps understand.

SCRAP IT

The bike isn't worth saving!

Don't throw good money away.

Heretic!
I have had my Holdsworth Equipe since I was 15 and it was secondhand then. (My cousin had it new in 1971).     I converted it to SS maybe 6 years ago and it's still going strong.  I use it every day as my commute bike.  When I took it into Witcombs (sadly now gone from Deptford) 6 or 7 years ago, worried the top tube was cracked and the head tube damaged after one too many front end crashes (I was not always the relatively careful rider I am now) Barry Witcomb eyed it up and thought it still looked true but stripped it down anyway to make sure. Frame perfect.  The Equipe was not even Holdsworth's best- it was their entry level model.  So, if the frame is good, do, do restore it.  I am pretty sure you will not regret it. Of course I have replaced practically everything on the bike (although brakes are still original Weinmann 600's) and you may have to eventually as well, but that would be true of a new bike after time.  It cost me less than 50 quid to convert it to SS using second hand cranks and chainring (from someone on YACF, I think, the old chainring was very worn and one crank the worse for wear after a crash). New  bottom bracket cost peanuts.  Then I forked out 80 odd quid for a fixed free rear wheel (but that was choice rather than need).  SS freewheels are not too expensive either. Since then I have spent more money on it (new front wheel, saddle) but again, I didn't need to, it was personal choice wanting things to match.  Other stuff, tyres, chain would have had to be replaced on a new bike anyway.

Ignore the heresy, have a go at restoring your lovely bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:11:23 pm »
A good quality frame is always worth riding.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 03 August, 2011, 01:27:00 pm »
i'm with jane on this one - my singlespeed is a holdsworth super mistral (early 70's before they ditched the chrome) rescued from the possibility of going to the tip. now while it's not going to sell for loads of £ it's worth more to me. i stripped the hammerite and had it painted bright red, picked up a pair of tange chrome forks for £5. i had wheels, gran sport chainset and everything else so the whole project cost me no more that £80. it's worth more that that.
so whip the freewheel off and replace with a single freewheel. you'll probably have to mount the chainring on the inside to help with the chainline, but apart from that it's easy.
choose your gearing and away you go. i choose a 47x19 and it works fine for me.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »
Yep deffo ignore that Mr Clarkson fellow & remember to post pics once it's finished.

I'm in the processs of updating an early 1980's Dave Yates that I bought of Tiermat.  New shimano 105 compact & some Mavic Ksyrium wheels  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:28:07 am »
Yep deffo ignore that Mr Clarkson fellow & remember to post pics once it's finished.

I'm in the processs of updating an early 1980's Dave Yates that I bought of Tiermat.  New shimano 105 compact & some Mavic Ksyrium wheels  :)

:thumbsup: If you wanted to go the co-ordinated colour route, the Bontrager lilac bar tape suits that frame colour quite nicely (I had it on the bars that I fitted to that bike)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #22 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »
How's this coming along  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

fuzzy

« Reply #23 on: 25 November, 2011, 04:12:16 pm »
A bit far down the line but I will echo what others said about ignoring the junk it post!

I have a fixie that originated as a 7 speed Puch wossname that I saved from going into a skip. A former resident of this Parish decided a bottle or two of fermented grape juice was a fair swap for a pair of Mavic wheels he had gathering dust in his bunker. I fitted new mudguards and brake blocls and used the bike as my winter hack foa while. I then found a cheap (£35 inc delivery) fixed wheel on e bay so converted it, keeping the original chainset minus a chainring.

As bling bikes go, Stig is a dog but, he is MY dog. I made him what he is and I love him.

« Reply #24 on: 12 September, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »
Hi All. Ihad a landscaping bussiness in uk ten yrs ago and one of my customers was going to ditch a nigel dean complete bike, i rescued it by repairing some more of his gardens in retn, i have it out here in spain and i love riding it , though i had to strip it completlyand in my very best non existing spanish got it checked over , paint was peeling, off bits of rust and a couple of small dents,it was fairly original in parts (i think) i had to respray it myself as cost was high to get it repainted in madrid, it was a green and silver frame n forks ,now it,s all blue san marco leather saddle and is great to ride out here on the club sunday rides, i get a few surprised look,s when passing the spanish carbon creeping, hey i,ve got all the kit man people,but quite a few of the really older guy,s get a bit glassy eyed talking about them , the best comment came from a german guy who happened to visit the coffe shop where we were sat, one Herr Rudi Altig ,who was delighted there were still in use and cared for, so, yes old bikes are worth restoring and riding there a different feel altogether, but i love coming down the mountains around here, bags of fun. so my friend JUST DO IT..