Author Topic: [LEL17] Having doubts about my ability to complete LEL  (Read 19905 times)

Re: Having doubts about my ability to complete LEL
« Reply #50 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
Looking forward to hearing how you get on! Good luck.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #51 on: 27 May, 2017, 09:33:55 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  So true.

Myself and Vorsprung were doing bike mechanics at Brampton on LEL in 2013 and the condition of some of the bikes was shocking in terms of basic maintenance; "did you consider ensuring the chain and jockey wheels were not completely gunked up before starting?" or "did you consider checking if headset was greased before starting?" or "did you consider replacing the frayed brake/gear cable or split brake/gear outer cables before starting?" or "do you always wait for metal on metal contact before replacing the brake pads?" etc etc.

Quite shocking the condition of some of the bikes.
That's astonishing. A once in four years experience, which costs a bundle, and you have to prepare for for months ahead of time, and people blow it by letting their bikes get in that kind of a condition. Weird.

It's not like that.  Some people had swapped to a "spare" bike at the last minute.  Some people weren't used to riding that kind of distance where parts can degrade quite a lot during the event.  One friend of mine had taken his bike to the LBS for a service but the LBS clearly hadn't replaced the worn out chain and it was slipping badly by the time he got to Brampton

I have been caught out a couple of times with maintenance related problems when doing long rides.  Let's hope I have learnt my lesson.  I have bought a new cassette and have a spare chain in stock already.  I changed the outers and inners a couple of weeks ago.  I fitted a new Luxos light.  The light has marvellous cable ducting.  Still "TODO"

• buy a pair of new tyres to fit 2 weeks before
  • also at 2 weeks to go fit the new chain/cassette I already have
  • also at 2 weeks disassemble and clean rear mech
  • check the headset soon.  It's probably Ok but if it does need work I usually take it to the local Specialized dealer
  • buy a new BB and replace it.  The current one is still in working order but it doesn't feel silky smooth
  • work out where the clickly noise is coming from.  I suspect the RH pedal.  Maybe I need new pedals
  • adjust the wiring to the rear light - this has caused some issues
  • brake blocks are ok at the moment, I do have spares in stock, check at the 2 week to go point
  • check the rear hub bearings.  In fact, no don't bother checking.  Just replace them
  • check the spoke tensions on both wheels

Additionally
  • I've just bought a load of new "bike packing" luggage.  I need to try it out, adjust, etc.  Or find an alternative if it sucks
  • decide if I will use mudguards or not.  If I do want to I probably need to buy a new set
  • check the electrical connection / system works with the new Luxos and the new eTrex 20.  Previously an old Luxos and an old eTrex 20 worked great in this configuration but assuming electrical on a bike anything is a risk
  •   ensure that the spare bike is also in a high level of preparation in case of last minute problems

« Reply #52 on: 29 May, 2017, 10:11:56 am »
My first real test yesterday. I did a hilly 328 km (204 mile) solo ride from Leeds to Great Dun Fell and back. Total elevation was 5400m (17,700ft) taking in Fleet Moss, Great Dun Fell and Lamps Moss. Average speed was 24.6 kph (15.3 mph).

Some thoughts the morning after:

1. Saddle/short/chamois cream combination was fine - no hot spots or numbness.
2. Top tube bag is a great addition for holding snacks and regular grazing.
3. One bottle isn't enough - had to re-fill 4 or 5 times.
4. Eat more often than you think you need - stopped half up Lamps Moss to eat a pack of Haribo. Tell-tale sign of low energy was tingling lips!
5. I need to buy an L-shape USB cable to charge my BOLT on the move.
6. New Lizard Skins bar tape rocks!
7. My club jersey has the breathability of clingfilm. Invest in some better ones.
8. Di2 is worth it's wait in gold for the ease of shifting with tired hands.
9. Maybe...just maybe I'm capable of competing LEL.
10. Choosing such a hilly route for your first 300km probably wasn't wise in hindsight.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #53 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:25:40 am »
Average speed was 24.6 kph (15.3 mph).

I see no problem!  We have never averaged anything over 15mph on a ride (except possibly the first day of LEL 2013 with the stonking tailwind on the tandem friendly flat fenlands!) and completed LEL with a decent time margin and quite reasonable stopped time for sleeping and eating.

I am sure you will manage just fine and get a "good" time.

« Reply #54 on: 29 May, 2017, 07:57:25 pm »
4. Eat more often than you think you need - stopped half up Lamps Moss to eat a pack of Haribo. Tell-tale sign of low energy was tingling lips!

On LEL, a generous hot meal will be waiting for you every 70-80 km, making it easier than a solo ride.

9. Maybe...just maybe I'm capable of competing LEL.
Of course you are :thumbsup:

10. Choosing such a hilly route for your first 300km probably wasn't wise in hindsight.
It is wise. If you can do a solo hilly 300, LEL will not be a problem!

« Reply #55 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:56:33 am »
My first real test yesterday. I did a hilly 328 km (204 mile) solo ride from Leeds to Great Dun Fell and back. Total elevation was 5400m (17,700ft) taking in Fleet Moss, Great Dun Fell and Lamps Moss. Average speed was 24.6 kph (15.3 mph).
Sorry to be pedantic, but was that average your moving average (excluding stops) or your overall average (including all stops)? The difference can be important, because - as my experience shows - the overall average includes faffage which is the killer for me, and many others on long rides.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #56 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »
Sorry to be pedantic, but was that average your moving average (excluding stops) or your overall average (including all stops)? The difference can be important, because - as my experience shows - the overall average includes faffage which is the killer for me, and many others on long rides.

That's my moving average. Total average including 2-and-a-bit hours faffing gives a real average of 20.8 kph (13 mph). I can see how time off the bike could really dent your average speed. I wouldn't have wanted to rest any less though - longest stop was around 30 minutes, the rest being shorter stops to re-fill bottle, buy food from shops, photo, nature calls etc.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:56:54 pm »
A moving average close to 25 kph is plenty good enough. The UAF plan on 22.5 kph for their brevets which allows for 1.5 hour lunches and decent amounts of sleep.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #58 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:17:55 pm »

That's my moving average. Total average including 2-and-a-bit hours faffing gives a real average of 20.8 kph (13 mph). I can see how time off the bike could really dent your average speed. I wouldn't have wanted to rest any less though - longest stop was around 30 minutes, the rest being shorter stops to re-fill bottle, buy food from shops, photo, nature calls etc.

If you can do a solo hilly ride of 328km in 16 hours on your own then IMHO you will be in the upper quartile of the LEL peloton.   That's about how long i would take and about where I would ride.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #59 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:32:20 am »
Hello all,

I haven't had enough time to ride this year, so not as fit as I would like with LEL about a month away. What kind of riding would you guys recommend with only four/five weeks left? 100km, 200km rides, - longer? Or maybe shorter but very hard? I have just ridden a 550km 3 day tour with 10.000 meters of climbing.

Thanks for any advice.

« Reply #60 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:29:33 am »
All of them! Seriously, if you haven't been putting in the miles, now is the time you will have to do it. What I would recommend is mixing long rides at the weekend with short hard rides during the week - a 10 mile time trial is ideal for this, particularly if you ride to and from the event (that bit doesn't have to be hard!). However remember to taper off for the last week to 10 days. Don't stop riding completely, just go back to what you would do normally. And plenty of rest. You really want to be fresh at the start of the event.

« Reply #61 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:24:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice Rod. Will do short hard during the week and long at weekend. Allez

« Reply #62 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:56:23 pm »
I have just ridden a 550km 3 day tour with 10.000 meters of climbing.

That looks a very useful basis indeed!

Best of luck with both the preparations and LEL.

« Reply #63 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:23:04 am »
Thanks for the encouragement Tonyh. The hardest effort of the year so far. I guess the difference with LEL is much less recovery before being back on the bike. Anyway, whatever happens, I'll be in London for the start.

« Reply #64 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:14:22 am »
I wasn't having more than the ordinary share of doubts until a respiratory infection kept me off the bike for the past two weeks!  Training plans have gone right out the window and I fear that unless it sorts itself out in the next week I'm going to be completely undercooked.  Hey ho - the best laid plans etc.  Any advice on how to get back up to warp speed in the time remaining would be much appreciated!
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #65 on: 25 June, 2017, 12:11:12 pm »
a respiratory infection kept me off the bike for the past two weeks! 

I can't speak for your particular situation, but I reckon many riders (including us) tend to train too much in the last few weeks, and are already tired on the start line. Two weeks off the bike might actually be a good thing for your training. My former coach when I was racing used to say that the days off were as important as the days of hard work.

« Reply #66 on: 25 June, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
kangaroo court, I apologise if you have seen your GP, etc but could it be ha fever with post nasal drip?

I have had an awful week with hay fever.  Started last weekend with the hot weather and then with a week in budapest just got worse and worse. No sleep due to drowning in snot and then bleeding from my nose and thick green catarrh.  I even resorted to my wife ventolin my chest felt so tight.

I am just going to keep going.  600 in 2 weeks and then turn up and see what happens.  I have told family and friends that I plan to finish in time but whatever happens barring major injury I will ride back to Loughton even if it takes me another 3 days to do it.
Good luck

« Reply #67 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:26:37 am »
I did my first 400 yesterday from Leeds to Durham and back, taking in the section from Thirsk-Pocklington heading South. I'm pleased to have completed it but found it very tough. The last 70km in particular was very tough into a strong Westerly. In hindsight I rode it too quickly (23 kph total average, 26 kph moving average) and will need to consciously knock 1-2 kph off my speed for LEL.

Not sure whether to do a 600 before LEL - I don't think I have time to build more fitness, so I'll probably stick to a few 200/300s and some short/fast rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1062922781/overview

« Reply #68 on: 02 July, 2017, 03:49:30 pm »
So since I've started this thread I got a new job, moved family, life in chaos.  I managed a very hilly and miserable 300km brevet in April in 17 hours (8C with pouring rain!).  May was a complete write-off.  June was just ok with a 30km daily commute and a 75km ride on the weekend.  I can continue the 30km daily commute in July and a 200km solo on the weekend.  I am seriously worried about finishing LEL. My training plan is out the window given the massive life changes.  Anyone else finish LEL with just commuting and a 100km-200km weekend ride?

« Reply #69 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:32:39 pm »
canuckystan.  if you can still do your commute with those life changes then you have the mental fortitude.  I think this time around there seem to be a lot of us who have had disrupted training.  I have told family that i will start at 13:00 hours and ride.  If I get back in under 116 hours, great.  If I get back in over 116 hours but Danial is still there I understand we get the medal but not acknowledgement.  If I end up still cycling on Sunday afternoon I will still have had an adventure  and learnt about myself.  Failing to reach loughton is not an option.

« Reply #70 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:07:45 pm »
Have to echo the above.  It's exactly what I will be doing.  My training plans have been decimated by work commitments. Still got a 600 planned next weekend which I think may be unpleasant, but hey ho, onwards and upwards!!

« Reply #71 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
This event will be successful or otherwise in main due to your state of mind. The body can take far more punishment than you would ever believe, it's the mind you have to get onside.

With three weeks to go, there probably isn't much more you can achieve physically through training other than to plant doubts in your mind so probably a good idea to scale back distance training, perhaps focus on on intervals/high intensity hill training for the next week but then reduce your training ntensity, rest, eat sensibly and sleep plenty. Get your mind straight and believe 👍

« Reply #72 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:09:03 pm »
This event will be successful or otherwise in main due to your state of mind. The body can take far more punishment than you would ever believe, it's the mind you have to get onside.

This is an excellent point!

Thinking about a 1400km ride might be overwhelming. What really helped us last time was to think about the next leg only, which is never longer than 70-80km. When my ankle was in pain on day 4, I told myself "the next control is just 70 km ahead, I can do that!", and then, "The next control....

Phil W

« Reply #73 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:58:38 pm »
There will be many on the start line with doubts about completing the event.  It's a normal feeling. The question for you is would you rather try and potentially not finish or would you rather sit at home not knowing if you could have done it (waiting another 4 years) ?  Who knows what your health and fitness will be in 4 years time. 

LMT

« Reply #74 on: 03 July, 2017, 07:16:25 pm »
There will be many on the start line with doubts about completing the event.  It's a normal feeling. The question for you is would you rather try and potentially not finish or would you rather sit at home not knowing if you could have done it (waiting another 4 years) ?  Who knows what your health and fitness will be in 4 years time.

Very true, I'll add to that and say to expect pain and discomfort on this ride but know it can be managed and what will be will be - in that getting round or not it'll be an adventure.