Author Topic: Dealing with lumberjack visits  (Read 13079 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dealing with lumberjack visits
« Reply #25 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »
Haven't been to Germany for a few years, but AFAIR the shelf design is actually less likely to logjam than the standard bowl.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #26 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:41:31 pm »
17 years ago. Crikey Moses.

They weren't so much ahead of their time, so much as they thought about the problem that needed solving and applied a much wider inventory of knowledge to the solution rather than sticking to the tried and tested solutions within a particular industry. This is probably why many of their proposed solutions were rejected!

As an Aside, I think this topic could have had a thread all of it's own. I really didn't think my rant about unflushed stool would run for so long  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #27 on: 02 January, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
[snip]

ETA - found it: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/better-by-design - I forgot they'd also reinvented the bra.
[/snip]

Blimey!
Apropos of nothing in particular..... Richard Seymour was my external assessor at college.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 02 January, 2018, 01:17:22 pm »
Haven't been to Germany for a few years, but AFAIR the shelf design is actually less likely to logjam than the standard bowl.

Possibly, but sometimes launching off the shelf can be a problem.

We call them doorstep toilets.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ben T

« Reply #29 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
boiling water out the kettle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:46:47 pm »
There's a company somewhere in the States that makes artifaecial turds for toilet testing.

That'd look great on a CV. Under "Previous jobs", of course.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 02 January, 2018, 07:50:12 pm »
This thread should be sticky.
It is simpler than it looks.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #32 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:01:01 pm »
How do the Germans cope with their shelved pans?
they don’t have them anymore, it’s always normal loos now. Shelf loos are a rarity.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:39:24 pm »

Possibly, but sometimes launching off the shelf can be a problem.

We call them doorstep toilets.

We call them jobbie inspection toilets.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #34 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:45:33 pm »
People, the method is to divide and you shall conquer.

Chop it into bits and flush with confidence, remember it's only stuff that you put in your mouth the day before.

fuzzy

« Reply #35 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:46:57 pm »
I am aware of a young who, as a result of some unfortunately located chicken pox blisters, developed a phobia of passing a stool. Once every 10 days wasn't unusual.

10 days worth of recycling took some getting rid off.

Said phobia has been overcome by all accounts.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2018, 07:35:19 am »
Perhaps I'm "fortunate" - the removal and reuse of a segment of my bowel pipework elsewhere in my body has resulted in a much "softer" output which seldom challenges the flushing mechanism.  At first I though it may just be diet but three years on and it seems to be consistent.

Rob

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #37 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »
I'm in danger of becoming annoyed with some of the attitudes shown here, and casual disregard for water and resources conservation.  What sort of question is "what is the point of water saving loos?  Er, to save precious water, that's what!  Low water usage loos do work, and work perfectly if properly designed.  Rubbish loos of any sort of water usage don't work.  My point is that bad anything is not good, so please don't say low water use loos are rubbish, just because you've used a poor one.  I once had a dreadful car, but I don't therefore think that all cars are useless and should be banned.

Water is precious, we need to be careful with it.  Therefore, please do your best to use an efficient loo, and that means a proper one where the cistern and the pan were designed as one, not a low volume cistern used with a pan designed for two gallons. The loo I fitted in my old house used 2.5 or 4 litres, for wees and No2's respectively, and it worked properly and hygienically.
Wombat

« Reply #38 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:26:34 pm »
How do the Germans cope with their shelved pans?
they don’t have them anymore, it’s always normal loos now. Shelf loos are a rarity.

The B&B I stayed at in Berlin last summer had them (in suitably retro pastel colours). I'd never heard of them before and was mildly amused by them (I think I took some photos - "before" shots only, though :hand:). No problems with flushing, but the smell wasn't pleasant!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 05 January, 2018, 08:01:10 pm »
Water is precious, we need to be careful with it.  Therefore, please do your best to use an efficient loo, and that means a proper one where the cistern and the pan were designed as one, not a low volume cistern used with a pan designed for two gallons. The loo I fitted in my old house used 2.5 or 4 litres, for wees and No2's respectively, and it worked properly and hygienically.

As I mentioned earlier,  how does one find out what is a good loo? I've yet to set eyes on 'What Bog Quarterly'.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:07:19 am »
If a flush cannot deal with a large log or a bowl filler then it is not a proper loo. Surely the most water saved would come from sorting out flushing pee, and every house (and Ladies) should have sheewee compatible urinals.
It is simpler than it looks.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2018, 01:02:06 am »
Years ago we had a YACF light testing session - maybe it's time we had a log rolling session? Although I'm not sure what B&Q would make of a bunch of us turning up for a synchronised crimping session....
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #42 on: 06 January, 2018, 11:50:46 pm »
I'd quite like a grey water system for flushing the bog as that would solve some issues of wastage of potable water.

« Reply #43 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:34:34 am »
Years ago we had a YACF light testing session - maybe it's time we had a log rolling session? Although I'm not sure what B&Q would make of a bunch of us turning up for a synchronised crimping session....

With the advances in lighting in the last few years, I reckon we need a new light test. Maybe you could make it a weekend event and cover both experiments.  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:45:09 am »
I believe Feanor OTP is qualified about these matters and posted usefully previously when I grumbled about bogstoppers...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #45 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:20:06 pm »
Whilst I’m gratified at the interest my initial post has generated, I wasn’t actually referring to a lumberjack deposit, but was in fact referring to a Pollok stylee work. The facility I was criticising is in fact the newish installation to the Beardy Bastion wish in accordance with the laws of the land is a two stage water saving device. It is, not to put too fine a point on it, crap at removing crap and wastes far more water than the previously fitted plumbing due to the requirement for multiple flushes AND added intervention to obtain a hygienic state.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »
I'd quite like a grey water system for flushing the bog as that would solve some issues of wastage of potable water.
This, muchly so.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:39:40 pm »

With the advances in lighting in the last few years, I reckon we need a new light test. Maybe you could make it a weekend event and cover both experiments.  :D
Also this.

« Reply #48 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:03:10 pm »
This, muchly so.

Mrs E was impressed by the Japanese idea of a wash basin incorporated in the top of a cistern so that washing water is saved for the next flush. So much so that she wants one for her studio toilet. Unfortunately she has met with blank incomprehension and denials that such a thing exists. Does anyone here have any knowledge of availability?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »
Mrs E was impressed by the Japanese idea of a wash basin incorporated in the top of a cistern so that washing water is saved for the next flush. So much so that she wants one for her studio toilet. Unfortunately she has met with blank incomprehension and denials that such a thing exists. Does anyone here have any knowledge of availability?

Granny Annie has such a thing in her downstairs loo, which I thought was pretty clever.  Perhaps one of the CrinklyClan can elucidate?