Author Topic: Low FODMAP foods and IBS  (Read 1656 times)

Low FODMAP foods and IBS
« on: 15 January, 2018, 03:14:02 pm »
Has anyone else with Irritable Bowel Syndrome been on a low FODMAP diet?

I've just started the reintroduction phase after 3-4 weeks of a restricted diet and a significant improvement in symptoms.

Currently waiting to see what effects the teaspoon of honey I had with breakfast may or may not have...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Low FODMAP foods and IBS
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
Mrs H. has IBS and has cut out a load of FODMAP foods from her diet, which helped a lot. With her the worst culprit were Onions, Garlic and Wholegrains. Which were her favourite things to eat, so a bit of a pain.

She's currently pregnant though, which changes the bowel behaviour anyway so it's all a bit up in the air as to what will happen afterwards.

« Reply #2 on: 15 January, 2018, 07:32:47 pm »
Congratulations on both the impending arrival of baby and the reduction of Mrs H's IBS symptoms!

I've been beginning to suspect there's more to mine than just lactose and gluten vague-ery. Bated breath to find out about onions and whether falafel are going to be off the menu at all :-(

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
Thank you!

She can still eat smaller quantities of stuff like Chickpeas, so as long as she's willing to put up with the consequences she'll still eat falafel occasionally. Cutting out garlic and onions hasn't been such a big deal really, as we cook mostly everything ourselves, we've not really missed it.

Eating out she'll try and avoid dishes that have too many onions in, but the occasional meal has been ok with garlic and onions.

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2018, 01:34:35 pm »
Congratulations from me as well.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2018, 03:40:30 pm »
Congratulations hulver!

On a re-introducing foodstuffs note - I had some fairly severe problems a while back and was on a very restricted diet. One thing that helped me in the move back to eating more normally was being wary of any food that I would have - cravings is too strong a word - but an immediate response to if it was placed in front of me.

For example if I was browsing food shelves and saw something and thought 'Ohh! Yes, I really quite fancy that.' along with a little bit of extra salivation, then that was a danger sign.

I've learned to distinguish the sensation from other appetite led cues. It might be complete bunkum, but there is a theory that anticipating something that is about to do certain things to the body leads to an adrenaline hit that can be a little addictive - which is similar to the sensation of finding a particular foodstuff appetising.

It might be complete rubbish, I might just miss the things that I don't get to eat. It might be that I had to go through eighteen months of eating things that I knew I shouldn't in order to help aid diagnosis (waste of time and fluids) in order to gain that particular sensitivity. But it is something that has helped me return to responding to what I want to eat rather than meal plans and abstention just in case, which all feels more human.

By-the-bye, as time has gone on my tolerance to most foods has increased immeasurably. Buckwheat continues to bring further horrors to watching 'Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead'.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »
benborp, I have no idea if that is complete rubbish or not, but it's fascinating to consider there might be something in it! Brains and bodies, eh?

so as long as she's willing to put up with the consequences she'll still eat falafel occasionally

Falafel's the thing I'm most worried about potentially having to say goodbye to. Although, y'know, not having diarrhoea on a daily basis would also be quite good... </perspective>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:13:12 pm »
I am sure chickpeas make me gassy.
I love hummus, falafel and Ruff Nuts.
Oh dear!