Author Topic: recurring pain, over a year after foot surgery.  (Read 1131 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
recurring pain, over a year after foot surgery.
« on: 29 January, 2017, 02:33:14 am »
I had surgery, back in 2015, in my right foot. It was, I think, Tarsal/metatarsal bone fusion and plate/screws fitted. the pain was eased a lot by the time I was able to take the "Big Wellie" off, around 7 months after surgery as there were a few difficulties. I've had a regular twinges but nothing too bad and not lasting more than an hour or so. This past week it has been different. The  pain, still not as bad as pre-surgery, is back and pretty much whenever I move my foot from the ankle. I know that 125kg is asking a lot of any normal foot so weight really has to go. that's a long term thing though and the pain is here and now! Do I just give it a regular dose of 'brufen or should I get in touch with the consultant and try to see him again? I'm okay to try Ibuprofen for a week or two but I'm already on a huge number of medications, including pain killers, so don't want to add to them on a long term basis.
Any advice, other than "Shed some Lard y' Fat Slob"?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: recurring pain, over a year after foot surgery.
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »
I wonder if there's been some sort of fatigue fracture, involving either the bone or the metalwork there, allowing movement now, causing pain.

I think you need to see a doctor, who might arrange X-rays, a bone scan, and/or referral to your orthopaedic surgeon.

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
Like Helly says, i suspect a problem with the fusion site. 

I would be looking at late non union, or a stress fracture through one of the screw holes.  late non union would be my bet though.  If it took 7 months to unite then it may not have been complete.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »
Thanks. I'm planning to see the Doc' on Wednesday so I'll bring it up then.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!