Author Topic: Weakness in left wrist after long ride - 400km plus  (Read 2751 times)

Weakness in left wrist after long ride - 400km plus
« on: 15 May, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »
Quick background, I have been Audaxing since Nov 2105, in July 2016 I completed a SR with no wrist problems.
This year at the end of a 400km ride (LEL) and about 400km into a 600km ride (BCM) I had a weaknessed in my left wrist making changing gear difficult.
At the end of each ride I had a residual tingling in the hand mainly in my ring and little finger.
In 2015 I had a Retul bike fit and have no other niggles etc after a long ride.  The wrist problem does not happen with 200s or on a 300.

I think there are 2 possible solutions:
1.  Have another bike fit to check that I am not putting too much weight through my left hand
2.  Upgrade to a Di2 groupset

Any advice would be welcomed

Re: Weakness in left wrist after long ride - 400km plus
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2017, 03:48:07 pm »
The ring finger and little finger are 'driven' by the ulnar nerve so it's probable that you are compressing that somewhere, quite possibly where it runs into the hand, roughly in the centre underside of the wrist. I'm not sure that that would feel like a 'wrist weakness' though (having had a similar issue myself). Mine led to tingling and weakness in the two fingers but I don't recall a wrist issue.

If it's not happening on sub 400km routes then whatever the pressure is is probably quite subtle, only manifesting after pretty long periods. I don't think option 2 will work (well, it'll only enable gear shifting, but that's addressing the symptom, not the issue). Option 1 is probably overkill (though taking weight off the hands is very likely to help). I'd be looking at diagrams of where the ulnar nerve goes and seeking to change hand position frequently on longer rides, avoiding or minimising use of those that may well be compressing the nerve).

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
Do you use Aero/tri bars? Might be worth experimenting with them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:21:08 pm »
Come on someone reccomend the Di2 upgrade then I can convince my wife it is a good idea ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
Come on someone reccomend the Di2 upgrade then I can convince my wife it is a good idea ;D ;D ;D
Pah, if it were my wife, her response would be "that's a sign that it is about time you gave up cycling silly distances", so I suggest you don't push your luck.

Someone is going to suggest  a trip to Teh Dark Side . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »

That wouldn't be treating the cause though ... better to resolve whatever is causing the issue.

Perhaps consider additional bar tape or gloves with more padding in the right places than you might already have, as well as whatever positioning improvements might help to reduce pressure on the nerve.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:31:50 pm »
Someone is going to suggest  a trip to Teh Dark Side . . .

Someone else can do it.  I'm right off cycling at the moment  :P

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
Upgrading to Di2 is the obvious next stage in diagnosis, go for it with a clear conscience.

(or go for single speed)

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »
The wrist weakness is strange for ulnar nerve pressure but I would not say impossible. (Anatomically and medical student textbook impossible)

I wonder if your position changes over the course of a 400 so that your core starts to tire and you put more pressure on your hands. You may also find that you start to lock your elbows which will remove the shock absorption of a bent elbow.

Some Pilates may help.

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
Is it really your wrist, OP?  I ask as while my ulnar nerve damage in my recent thread is recovering, one thing I can't do is left hand upshifts.  My wrist is fine but lack of finger strength prevents it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »
Is it really your wrist, OP?  I ask as while my ulnar nerve damage in my recent thread is recovering, one thing I can't do is left hand upshifts.  My wrist is fine but lack of finger strength prevents it.

I would agree with this thought. IMO the OP describes weakness of pinch grip, which is a hand, not wrist problem and would be a feature of an ulnar nerve problem.

Can anyone affected squeeze a cord toggle WITHOUT bending the joint in the middle of the thumb?
Froment's test/sign... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froment%27s_sign

« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I wil need to adjust my position more frequently and not lock out my elbows.
I am unpgrading to Di2 because on long rides changing gear will be easier and I am worth it.

« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2017, 07:29:08 am »
Can anyone affected squeeze a cord toggle WITHOUT bending the joint in the middle of the thumb?
Froment's test/sign... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froment%27s_sign

No. When I try it the grip in my left hand is very weak without bending my thumb.  And I have been asking my wife to take tight jam jar lids off recently, but it's getting slightly better every day.