Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2434731 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #100 on: 22 April, 2008, 04:58:59 pm »
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: Member's bikes
« Reply #101 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:41:11 am »
My Christmas present to myself...

(also got a Scott Vail and a ye olde worlde Rapide roadbike from the Freewheel catalogue ca. 1989 from when I was a stoodent... both in fully working order, but no pics)

Very very nice!   I always fancied an orange one, but that looks really good in black

Just seen this - I gotsan orange one!

Cotic decal is new, but t'was number 79 off the production line a number of years back now - not seen the need to get another mountain bike since then.

Peacemaker has been all urban lately. I know, I know, it's not been seen in any photos recently....  :P

A week tomorrow (since it's now Thursday) a Planet-X Kaffenback frame arrives (actually, it arrives on Friday, but I'm not allowed to see it till Thursday, much like the new SLR camera that's pulling the same trick  ;D) which will be built up into something rather nice that I have planned.

The Dawes SS is still in bits and I'm not sure what's going to be happening with it....

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #102 on: 25 April, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »
I have a soft spot for old Peugeots, since that was the brand of my first good bike. But I've never seen that color scheme before. 1980-what?  :)

Haven't a clue. This bike started out as a chainset - Suntour Superbe Pro - for 25 quid. I thought it would make an upgrade for the gaspipe Raleigh I was plonking about on.

Got to the bloke's house to pick it up and he's got this frame hanging in the garage. And the wheels. I bought the crankset and said I'd come back on payday for the frame and wheels.

3 wks later and I've put the rest of the Raleigh bits onto this frame, sold the remains of the Raleigh and this was up and running for about 75 quid all in.

BARGAIN!

luv'n'stuff

J
ps On an age note I think early 80s because if you look at the gear cable stop on the chainstay it won't accept a modern STI cable outer.

I just like it!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #103 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »
The new bike  :thumbsup:

It goes well  ;D

Rich.

« Reply #104 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:45:45 pm »
My commuter:

I've taken it to bits today though. It'll be resurrected looking much the same in a week or two.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #105 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:44:12 pm »
My new bike - it's a Look 565 with Centaur Gruppo and Ultra Neutron wheels. Only been out twice but I love it already.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #106 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:59:16 pm »
My new bike - it's a Look 565 with Centaur Gruppo and Ultra Neutron wheels. Only been out twice but I love it already.

Yum yum. Nice looking Look.
a great mind thinks alike

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #107 on: 01 May, 2008, 11:58:37 am »
Some trivia - Cleeve Hill is the closest point to London over 1000 ft, and if you go east from there the next point of the same height is in the Ural Mountains (source: wikipedia).

Hence the M. le Maire Patent Cleeve Hill Avoidance Manouevre on The Dean ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Maladict

bobajobrob

« Reply #109 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:47:59 pm »
Nice :thumbsup:

That reflector should work well for flying cars ;D

« Reply #110 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:51:27 pm »

...and I've got some snips that you are welcome to borrow to sort out those cable ties.

Maladict

« Reply #111 on: 01 May, 2008, 10:16:36 pm »

...and I've got some snips that you are welcome to borrow to sort out those cable ties.

;D

I did a 10 with those like that... how much will it save?

:)

border-rider

« Reply #112 on: 02 May, 2008, 05:37:40 pm »
A retro steel MTB-wheeled expedition tourer

Chainset courtesy of Polar Bear :)

« Reply #113 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »
Looks good. A useful machine.

You'll do yourself an injury on those back mudguard stays though  ;)

border-rider

« Reply #114 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »
I know.  It'll have a rack on when ICBA :)

I've had the frame from new, 25 years ago. I had it resprayed at Argos 7 years ago, and the canti bosses fitted, but it's been hanging in the garage since.  Before that it was my main audax bike.  I did an SR2000 on that frame, and my first SR Series.

It was a fast club bike originally - a Harry Hall Elan.  531DB and Prugnat lugs.  Apart from the chainset, the rest of the bits were lying round the garage.

Chris S

« Reply #115 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:25:54 am »

This is one of your bikes is it?

What's that dangly thing at the back, with the chain running through it? And those things on the down tube,  they almost look like gear levers.

Dammit Dr V, I'd swear that bike had gears - wassappening to you man?  :o

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #116 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:20:52 pm »
My Saracen, finished putting it back on the road earlier today, gone for a bit of a 'yellow' theme this year   :-\

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #117 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »
Mmmmm, looks nice - what's the full spec Windy??

« Reply #118 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

It was a fast club bike originally - a Harry Hall Elan.  531DB and Prugnat lugs.

Now that looks like fun. I thought of doing something similar with a Miyata 312 frame (which is hidden behind my desk at the moment  ::-) ), but couldn't fit 26x1.75 tires between the chainstays.

How low is the bottom bracket? And what are those brake?!?
scottclark.photoshelter.com

border-rider

« Reply #119 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:06:25 pm »

How low is the bottom bracket? And what are those brake?!?

The BB is less than a cm lower than it was, with those tyres.  I was going to use Paselas, but they were too lo-pro.  If it's an issue I'll put some 160 cranks on instead of the 170s.

The brakes are Onzas.  I have them on the Ti On-One also.  Both courtesy of DaveJ.  Very nice :)

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/images/mtb/onza.jpg

border-rider

« Reply #120 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »
Dammit Dr V, I'd swear that bike had gears - wassappening to you man?  :o

Still got <does mental inventory> 6 fixies in the garage.  2 down on a year ago.

Summer audax
Winter audax
Commuter
Track
MTB
Hetchins.

Geared bikes:

Brommie
Trike
Tourer
MTB
Old racing bike on the turbo.

So the fixies still have it, just :)

« Reply #121 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:00:54 pm »
The BB is less than a cm lower than it was, with those tyres.  I was going to use Paselas, but they were too lo-pro.  If it's an issue I'll put some 160 cranks on instead of the 170s.

I actually *like* the idea of the low BB--was just curious. I like the idea of mtb-tourers, but heavy tubing and high BBs aren't so great.

The brakes are Onzas.  I have them on the Ti On-One also.  Both courtesy of DaveJ.  Very nice :)

Odd....I've never seen those before.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #122 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
A couple of shots of the pomp taken today.

Chain looks very slack in the second photo  :-[
Don't ask.

border-rider

« Reply #123 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:19:06 pm »
Looks good in black.  Better than my old blue one, I think.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #124 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:03:21 am »
Mmmmm, looks nice - what's the full spec Windy??

It looks better than what it actually is.

The frame is a standard Saracen Aubisque, bought off the forum for £35 a few years back. It had no decals, so my mate sent some up from his shop in Stafford.

When I first built it up it cost me  a total of £110 (including the cost of the frame). I bought new Tiagra brakes and sourced more parts off the forum (a campag seat pin and giant stem - still on the bike) and used old bits from my spares box/garage.

Over the last few years I've upgraded to Tiagra groupset (I also got the STIs off the forum). The wheels are a 1980's Dura Ace front hub, and an RSX rear hub (with a 9spd LX free body attached) and Rigida DP18 rims, built up by Henry Burtons.

New this year are the Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres, a Sella Italia C2 saddle, and the bar tape - giving it the yellow theme