Author Topic: Do the government think cycling is dangerous?  (Read 1443 times)

Do the government think cycling is dangerous?
« on: 24 October, 2008, 11:57:55 pm »
From the government pages link

Cyclists

Rules for cyclists, you and your bicycle, first aid on the road and more…

Interesting that they lumped first aid in there in the summary?  Do they think cycling is dangerous <pre-empts regulator> or have they heard of my fettling?

gordon taylor

Re: Do the government think cycling is dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2008, 07:38:32 am »
My local council have asked for feedback on their soon-to-be-printed cycling map.
I commented that the phrase "Make sure you carry ID" in the accompanying text seemed to hint that cycling was much more dangerous than the reality.

I don't know if they'll remove it.  ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2008, 07:40:46 am »
From the government pages link

Cyclists

Rules for cyclists, you and your bicycle, first aid on the road and more…

Interesting that they lumped first aid in there in the summary?  Do they think cycling is dangerous <pre-empts regulator> or have they heard of my fettling?

Would I make such a hurtful quick about you, darling?   ???

I'm horrified that you think so.... :'(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2008, 09:56:14 am »
I think that this is in fact an enormous compliment!

The reason that first aid is included in the cycling (and pedestrian) groups is that they realise that most Motons would simply toot their horns and yell obscenities at anyone who is injured as they are "in their way" and "slowing them down" - teaching first aid would be pointless!

It is the cyclists and pedestrians who have the compassion, respect for others and level of humanity that they would stop and assist making the first aid appropriate in these two groups.

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:30:51 am »
re: ID

I never cycle without some form of ID. Normally this is my photo driving licence with a debit card and mobile phone and a bit of money.

It's not that I think cycling is dangerous but that I could become ill and (even more) incoherent.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2008, 11:30:14 am »
Yes, I think the comment about ID aimed at cyclists is probably more because cyclists are much more likely to go out without it than other groups - not necessarily that they need it more.