Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 442752 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1775 on: 20 March, 2020, 11:52:56 am »
We had the marvellous 'Mad' Mike Smith.

His two most notable events were : -

i)  Jumping down from the platform at London Bridge and hopping onto the live 3rd rail to demo that electricity is only dangerous if you form part of a circuit

ii)  Driving the school minibus (complete with full load of pupils) into one of those downhill escape lanes to 'see what happens'. What happens is that the gravel comes up to the top of the front part of the bonnet.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1776 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:08:31 pm »
I bet Network Rail (or whatever they were called at the time) were delighted!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1777 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »
No CCTV in those days. No-one noticed, or thought to bring it to anyone important's attention.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1778 on: 20 March, 2020, 01:38:42 pm »
I've just noticed a drawer (amongst my DymoTM labelled drawers) labelled "Switches. Reed" with a mercury filled tilt switch in it.
Enough mercury in it to probably fill a couple of thimbles.

ETA:

i)  Jumping down from the platform at London Bridge and hopping onto the live 3rd rail to demo that electricity is only dangerous if you form part of a circuit

ii)  Driving the school minibus (complete with full load of pupils) into one of those downhill escape lanes to 'see what happens'. What happens is that the gravel comes up to the top of the front part of the bonnet.
My bold. I'm impressed.
If memory serves, I had a school friend who went to work for London Transport (as it was then) on the tube and was told 'Step on the juice rail' on the basis that if you did that, there was less chance of tripping over it.
Can't see it myself.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1779 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:26:37 pm »
I've just noticed a drawer (amongst my DymoTM labelled drawers) labelled "Switches. Reed" with a mercury filled tilt switch in it.

ETA:

My bold. I'm impressed.
If memory serves, I had a school friend who went to work for London Transport (as it was then) on the tube and was told 'Step on the juice rail' on the basis that if you did that, there was less chance of tripping over it.
Can't see it myself.
Training (see what I did there?) these days is don't tread on any rail.

Some years ago The Girl's school had an exchange visit from a school in Accra. The Ghanaian students went on a trip to London. While waiting at the station, one of them dropped a possession, wallet or some such, on to the track.  They calmly leapt down to retrieve it. Not so calm was the reaction of the host school teaching staff nor the station bods.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1780 on: 20 March, 2020, 03:54:41 pm »
Suicide or terrorist, depending on the mood of the time.

« Reply #1781 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:09:03 pm »

ETA:

My bold. I'm impressed.
Can't see it myself.

Some years ago The Girl's school had an exchange visit from a school in Accra. The Ghanaian students went on a trip to London. While waiting at the station, one of them dropped a possession, wallet or some such, on to the track.  They calmly leapt down to retrieve it. Not so calm was the reaction of the host school teaching staff nor the station bods.
Remind me, when we've the time, to tell you about the occasion when I single-handedly managed to close down Bond Street Station.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1782 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:15:47 pm »
Quote from: Jurek
Remind me, when we've the time, to tell you about the occasion when I single-handedly managed to close down Bond Street Station.
Well it looks like none of us are going anywhere soon...  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #1783 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:17:48 pm »

ETA:

My bold. I'm impressed.
Can't see it myself.

Pah. I kicked a nuclear reactor containment vessel and an entire US State ran out of electricity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1784 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:18:32 pm »
@Jurek: Was it with a squirrel?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1785 on: 21 March, 2020, 07:11:44 pm »

ETA:

My bold. I'm impressed.
Can't see it myself.

Pah. I kicked a nuclear reactor containment vessel and an entire US State ran out of electricity.

YABJBIACMLTK

Bond and Leiter followed Petty Officer Fallon along the lower deck to the engine room and then to the engine-repair shop. On their way they passed through the reactor room. The reactor, the equivalent of a controlled atomic bomb, was an obscene knee-level bulge rising out of the thickly leaded deck. As they passed it, Leiter whispered to Bond, "Liquid sodium Submarine Intermediate Reactor Mark B.'' He grinned sourly and crossed himself.
Bond gave the thing a sideways kick with his shoe. "Steam-age stuff. Our Navy's got the Mark C.''

« Reply #1786 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:16:48 pm »
LTK? Lead Trimmed Knickers?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1787 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:42:45 pm »
Almost.
Licence To Kill

« Reply #1788 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:51:36 pm »

« Reply #1789 on: 21 March, 2020, 11:49:47 pm »
Almost.
Licence To Kill

Fair enough. Having decrypted BJB I really shouldn't have been sidetracked down the radioactive corridor.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1790 on: 21 March, 2020, 11:57:35 pm »
Almost.
Licence To Kill

Fair enough. Having decrypted BJB I really shouldn't have been sidetracked down the radioactive corridor.
What's more worrying is that I last read Thunderball well over twenty years ago, yet ian's remark fired up a memory that allowed me to google "Thunderball steam age".

(edited to try to fix broken quoting)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1791 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:41:07 am »
Of course, we all know that the world's primary source of mercury is Hg wells...

Very good!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1792 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:47:43 am »
And I suspect the Millenials think that our generation are all safe and staid.  If only they knew.....

I was reminded yesterday that one of the main roads near me - a straight stretch of a few miles length - used to have what was known back in the day as a "chicken lane", ie a central third lane on a single carriageway, used for overtaking... in both directions.

What I want to know is, what fucking idiot ever imagined that could possibly be a good idea?

Must have been the late 80s before they finally got rid of it.

[ETA: officially classified as S3 roads - apparently they do still exist. And this page also reminded me of the Aston Expressway, which is classified as S7... one of the (many) reasons I never drive to Birmingham. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Single_carriageway ]
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1793 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:59:35 am »
I remember bits of the A4 being like that, near Hungerford IIRC. Or maybe it was Marlborough. Then they removed the third lane by simply hatching it. Those aren't busy sections of road so it actually worked ok.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1794 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:01:59 pm »
Ditto on parts of the A5 and other sizeable roads. I think there was a fashion amongst highway engineers until they looked at the crash statistics after that arrangement had been in place for a few years.

The resulting wide roads (after being converted back to two lanes) are actually pretty good to cycle on, due to decent lateral separation for drivers overtaking cyclists.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1795 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:58:42 pm »
We still have a short - less than 300m - length of three-lane, on Tring Hill on the old A41. Mostly used by traffic going up the hill. The one I remember most was somewhere south of Basingstoke around 40 years ago on what is now the A33.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1796 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:15:53 pm »
Almost.
Licence To Kill

What's more worrying is that I last read Thunderball well over twenty years ago, yet ian's remark fired up a memory that allowed me to google "Thunderball steam age".

(edited to try to fix broken quoting)

Interesting factoid 1: The screenplay for Thunderball was co-written by the grandfather of former World's Fastest Mammal Sam Whittingham.

1: Subject to usual T&C
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1797 on: 22 March, 2020, 02:25:38 pm »
And I suspect the Millenials think that our generation are all safe and staid.  If only they knew.....

I was reminded yesterday that one of the main roads near me - a straight stretch of a few miles length - used to have what was known back in the day as a "chicken lane", ie a central third lane on a single carriageway, used for overtaking... in both directions.

What I want to know is, what fucking idiot ever imagined that could possibly be a good idea?

Must have been the late 80s before they finally got rid of it.

[ETA: officially classified as S3 roads - apparently they do still exist. And this page also reminded me of the Aston Expressway, which is classified as S7... one of the (many) reasons I never drive to Birmingham. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Single_carriageway ]

LAst tiem I went on it the A17 was like that, not actually three lanes, but three lanes wide and people overtaking down the middle
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1798 on: 22 March, 2020, 03:24:52 pm »
There's one section of the A303 near me which is supposed to be the last of those three lane roads to be built (according to local legend).
It was still three lane when I moved here 20 years ago, but after one particularly nasty incident, they changed it so that the middle lane is in one direction for about a mile or so, then swaps, with double whites the whole way.
My dad always used to refer to the lanes as nearside, offside and suicide.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1799 on: 22 March, 2020, 03:29:11 pm »
There's one section of the A303 near me which is supposed to be the last of those three lane roads to be built (according to local legend).
It was still three lane when I moved here 20 years ago, but after one particularly nasty incident, they changed it so that the middle lane is in one direction for about a mile or so, then swaps, with double whites the whole way.
My dad always used to refer to the lanes as nearside, offside and suicide.

There are a couple of bits of that between the A14 and Market Bosworth, you get the extra lane on the uphills to go past the HGVs, you need to exercise great caution
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens