Author Topic: Spring Classics  (Read 6125 times)

Re: Spring Classics
« Reply #50 on: 09 April, 2013, 02:29:20 pm »

« Reply #51 on: 09 April, 2013, 07:21:08 pm »
Thanks for posting that Ivo.
It does give a good insight into how difficult the sport can be.
As for the Europcar rider trying to get some sleep in the van; good luck on those cobbles !

« Reply #52 on: 10 April, 2013, 03:35:27 pm »

« Reply #53 on: 12 April, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »
Sagan very hot favourite for Amstel, but they'll be loads of skirmishing on the hills, Albasini to put in a big ride.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #54 on: 12 April, 2013, 05:02:02 pm »
The finish has been moved a bit away from the top of the Cauberg. So the ranks of favourites have grown, not only the Gilbert style riders but also the sprinters with climber's legs are favourites now.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #55 on: 14 April, 2013, 04:07:02 pm »
Europsort mentioned that race radio had reports of a crash resulting in Tommy Voeckler breaking his leg. They didn't show the crash, and didn't say more, but I hope it wasn't as bad as they thought.

« Reply #56 on: 14 April, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »
They later reported that he had broken his collarbone.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #57 on: 14 April, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense. I was envisaging a gory Wilfrid Nelissen-type scenario. His gurning exploits in the Tour won't be in jeopardy then.

« Reply #58 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:12:23 pm »
Did the commentator really say "It's a Stella turn-out for the Amstel Gold" ?  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #59 on: 21 April, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »
L-B-L: That was a cracking finale to the race. Top riding by Dan Martin (who seems to be losing his 'bag of spanners' style of riding..). Sky really don't have much of a clue on the classics. Did Geriant Thomas manage to avoid crashing this time?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #60 on: 22 April, 2013, 11:44:18 am »
Did Geriant Thomas manage to avoid crashing this time?

He wasn't in the race. Though that's no guarantee that he didn't crash.

Brilliant ride by Martin. And Hesjedal too for that matter - Garmin got the tactics perfect. Unlike Sky. Again. I thought they were looking well set with about 30km to go - Lopez was in the breakaway, Froome was well placed and looking strong... and then it all seemed to go to pieces. Still, they weren't the only team who failed to deliver yesterday.

There's been a lot of talk of the Giro being a two-horse race between Wiggins and Nibali, but after a slow start to his season, Hesjedal looks like he's hitting his peak at just the right time for the Giro. And Dan Martin looks like being not just a supremely capable lieutenant, but potentially a genuine contender himself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #61 on: 22 April, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
L-B-L: That was a cracking finale to the race. Top riding by Dan Martin (who seems to be losing his 'bag of spanners' style of riding..).

I'll second all that.  LBL does produce some exciting finales, I think it's possibly my favourite classic.