Author Topic: TransAmerica race. Blue dot watching  (Read 5374 times)

Re: TransAmerica race. Blue dot watching
« Reply #25 on: 11 June, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
The graph tells an interesting story. Very little difference in speed between any in the top 10. Jason Lane's average is dropping off and he took longer breaks than Mike.

Ed is fractionally faster than both of them but looks to be taking much longer rest breaks. Ditto Juliana, but as the race progresses she is maintaining her road speed and catching others who are losing their fresh starting burst.

Mike seems to be running on 2.5hrs stop time per 24 hours, at rigid intervals. He is a machine, terrifyingly physically tough. A story says he tried a Brooks saddle but found it too soft (I made that  up).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 12 June, 2014, 08:20:05 am »
The graph and trace both show Donncha Cutriss started about 8 hours late.  Wonder if he really did.  If so he's done an amazing job of clawing back up to 5th, briefly 4th.

« Reply #27 on: 12 June, 2014, 09:00:46 am »
Hmm - I noticed that. Pretty amazing if that's the case.

Juliana is holding place in the top ten.

Mike and Jason drawing away from all of them. I wonder what will happen when they get out of the mountains?

Yeah, mountains. 300+miles a day through mountains.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 12 June, 2014, 09:18:08 am »
I have looked at the elevation plot a few times - it is scary.  How the top 10 can maintain that kind of pace over that terrain is beyond me.  That said, for all out speed, are you also watching RAAM?  Strasser is 700 miles in and still averaging well over 20mph with a lead of well over 100miles.  I prefer the TransAm though.  I'm thinking that I'll enter the Transcontinental next year.  I like the unsupported idea and the distance of that one is not beyond the realms of possibility.

« Reply #29 on: 12 June, 2014, 09:25:24 am »
RAAM is incredible - but the cost and complexity spoil it a bit for me. It is also only for the elite.

Trans-am seems very 'pure'. It kind of harks back to the original Tour de France.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #30 on: 12 June, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »
Mike is taking a big rest - Jason hasn't stopped. I expect he will overhaul Mike sometime in the next 4 hours.

Juliana has moved up to 6th place!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #31 on: 12 June, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »
I would disagree.  Mike is on the move again, hopefully after a good long kip.  Still a 40+ mile gap.  Mind you after 5 days I don't think 3 hours on the road amounts to much.

« Reply #32 on: 12 June, 2014, 02:22:10 pm »
I would disagree.  Mike is on the move again, hopefully after a good long kip.  Still a 40+ mile gap.  Mind you after 5 days I don't think 3 hours on the road amounts to much.
Huh, I stand corrected - he was stationary last time I looked. According to the tracklog, stationary for 5 hours.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #33 on: 12 June, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »
Will be interesting to see if the gap grows again today after Mikes rest.
Mike 1408 miles and Jason at 1365 just now.

similarly is DC still on the charge
Ed 1241 and DC 1175
hope this continues to be close  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 12 June, 2014, 02:53:37 pm »
Yep - if the earlier comments about Donncha Cutriss are true and he really did start about 8 hours late then he's technically faster than Ed.  Fascinating stuff.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #35 on: 12 June, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »
If your not aware, riders phone in messages to MTB cast, there app keeps you in touch. Mike did indeed get some good sleep and sounds as chilled as ever. Direct link http://mtbcast.com/podcasts/2014/TABR14/MTBCast_TABR14_20140611_1402530791_10.mp3

« Reply #36 on: 12 June, 2014, 09:42:43 pm »
Indeed I was not aware of that. Thanks  :)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #37 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »
Just Google Streetview-ed where MH is at present. Nice mountains on his right.

I thank you.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »
Still some serious gaps between the first three but is it just me or are 'the pack' catching up on the whole?  Cutriss and Stauffer don't seem to have much of a lead on the group behind them anymore.

« Reply #39 on: 16 June, 2014, 04:08:35 pm »
Jason and Mike are into the 'flatlands' and pulling away from the rest of the pack. Gap between them going up and down by as much as 60 miles. Mike is still averaging 300miles per day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #40 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
amazing endurance, reminds me of a recent "world record attempt" if it isn't mainstream it never happened according to guiness  :facepalm: haven't they heard of the long distance nutters down the years.
http://blog.virginmoneygiving.com/tag/guinness-world-record/

« Reply #41 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:52:46 pm »
I'm still here, watching.  Even that seems like a feat of endurance so Lord only knows what it's like on the road.  Can't believe I've been watching the dots for over 9 days and they're still going strong.  Some fascinating moments, including when Cutriss actually caught up with Ed some couple of days ago, possibly whilst he was kipping, and then has dropped back some 100 miles almost immediately.  Maybe Ed felt a ghost in his slumbers.  Also interested to know what is going on with the two guys, Dement and Costello, who haven't moved since last Wednesday!  That's taking a fairly relaxed approach to 'racing'.

« Reply #42 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »
Also, spare a thought for David Goldberg.  Looks like he just passed within about 80 miles of 'home' and didn't even pop in for a good nights sleep and a cup of tea.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #43 on: 17 June, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
so coming up for 5am on Tuesday, is that day 10?
Amazing that the positions are so settled up front, who will crack first, or have a problem. Still very tight up front really, if it stays like this it could come down to who can ride straight through for a few nights maybe.

Mike   2591 -   still asleep in Newton on I135 or tracker will jump him forward again.
Jason 2511
Ed      2387
DC     2116
AG     2076  two riders stooped together
JS      2077
JB      2035  - with a pack chasing her down

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #44 on: 17 June, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
Apparently Mike has called into a bikeshop in Newton for a new chain, I remember him reporting on his world ride how he could feel the improved efficiency after chain swaps.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #45 on: 17 June, 2014, 04:53:14 pm »
looks like Mike is having a "reset" stop and will start afresh after a long rest. Jason is only 20km behind now. particularly impressed (or perhaps shouldn't be, having ridden) with Juliana - real determination from this lady! is she the only female competing now?

« Reply #46 on: 17 June, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »
looks like Mike is having a "reset" stop and will start afresh after a long rest. Jason is only 20km behind now. particularly impressed (or perhaps shouldn't be, having ridden) with Juliana - real determination from this lady! is she the only female competing now?
Mike's tracker hasn't updated for 10hours
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #47 on: 17 June, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »
Yep - is that alarming or is it a repeat of what was going on last week?  Only updating when he stops moving again.  Gap from 3rd to 4th has shot up over the last day or two - nice one Ed :)

« Reply #48 on: 17 June, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »
Apparently Mike has called into a bikeshop in Newton for a new chain, I remember him reporting on his world ride how he could feel the improved efficiency after chain swaps.

I gather that he called in the bikeshop at around midnight and they had a barbeque while he got his new chain.
Interesting to see this ride alongside RAAM and the difference in speed. What difference a support crew makes! Changes the nature of the ride quite significantly.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #49 on: 18 June, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
From tweets 2hrs ago Mike is in Pittsburg holed up waiting for batteries for tracking . Puts him 50 miles in the lead .