Author Topic: The Original Winnie-ther-Pooh  (Read 1761 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The Original Winnie-ther-Pooh
« on: 11 September, 2013, 07:22:02 pm »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqmBOGUhG4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9oqmBOGUhG4

For those, like me, who have always considered Disney's bastardisation of the sacred Texts to be a a capital offence, the Pooh collection has been recorded online by Stephen Fry, Judy Dench and others. I have introduced them to my grand-daughter so that her first experience of Pooh is the real thing and not some intellect-stultifying transatlantic imposter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The Original Winnie-ther-Pooh
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2013, 09:51:23 am »
Pcolbeck junior could only go to sleep with a tape of Mr Fry reading Winnie the Pooh for many years. Now he is 17 he seems to not need it any more :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:09:57 pm »
While I agree with you on Disneyfication, surely her first encounter should be of Grandfather Bagger reading the stories to her? Especially as the YACF fount of wisdom recently claims that we don't read to our children enough.

(I think the survey is dodgy, for various reasons. And the Disneyfication of Disney itself seems to be a phenomenon of Walt's old age and after him - compare the 1940 Fantasia with its 2000 version. But I do object to the way pre-existing characters, whether specific creations like Winnie the Pooh or traditional ones like Snow White, become identified as made by Disney.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »
For me, the Sierra version of Winnie The Pooh was canonical.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2013, 03:59:37 pm »
The original E. H. Shephard illustrations are the bestest.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2013, 04:50:29 pm »
While I agree with you on Disneyfication, surely her first encounter should be of Grandfather Bagger reading the stories to her? Especially as the YACF fount of wisdom recently claims that we don't read to our children enough.

(I think the survey is dodgy, for various reasons. And the Disneyfication of Disney itself seems to be a phenomenon of Walt's old age and after him - compare the 1940 Fantasia with its 2000 version. But I do object to the way pre-existing characters, whether specific creations like Winnie the Pooh or traditional ones like Snow White, become identified as made by Disney.)
In principle I agree but her mum tells me that there are not quite enough pictures to keep a three year old's attention for the whole of a story. The youtube version have an E. H. Shephard illustration on the screen all the time, even though the illustration concerned may not be associated with the story being read at the time.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »
For me, the Sierra version of Winnie The Pooh was canonical.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1DcD8e55YY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/M1DcD8e55YY&rel=1</a>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »

In principle I agree but her mum tells me that there are not quite enough pictures to keep a three year old's attention for the whole of a story. The youtube version have an E. H. Shephard illustration on the screen all the time, even though the illustration concerned may not be associated with the story being read at the time.
TBF, I don't think they were really written for three year olds - four or five would be more like it, probably.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »

TBF, I don't think they were really written for three year olds - four or five would be more like it, probably.
I agree. Actually, they really come into their own when you are a parent and just get better and better.

My younger daughter, when she was in her teens, occasionally used to sit on my knee for a W-t-P story, but she's the one who still sucks her thumb some 6 years after getting a "first" from Cambridge.