Author Topic: Kathleen Ferrier  (Read 876 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Kathleen Ferrier
« on: 08 October, 2013, 08:02:42 am »
Died 60 years ago today. I didn't realise that she had died before I was born as she seemed to be a significant figure in my childhood.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Kathleen Ferrier
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:27:15 am »
As it happens I'd just logged on to post that she died 60 years ago today, as today is my sister's birthday, and I looked up The Times of 9th October 1953 to see what else happened on 8th October 1953.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:49:13 am »
Fantastic voice.
If you just buy one recording off her get the 1953 Lied von der Erde with Bruno Walter. Abschied (farewell) is just astonishing, Walter new Mahler personally and both Water and Ferrier knew she was dying. Its available on several labels as it's out of copywrite but I would go for Decca (who recorded it) or Naxos (nicely cleaned up).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
Never been keen on her Bach but her Mahler .....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2013, 10:51:17 am »
I used to live in West Cumberland and there was a plaque on a building in Silloth because Kathleen Ferrier had lived there.  She had a unique voice, although (to  me) it suffered slightly from unnatural pronunciation but that quickly disappears in the wonder at her singing.  She sang so much deeply moving music that it's nice to know that she also had a great sense of fun.  My mother used to adore her singing, too; she had a thing about people who died young - I just wish she hadn't emulated her!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »
Fantastic voice.
If you just buy one recording off her get the 1953 Lied von der Erde with Bruno Walter. Abschied (farewell) is just astonishing, Walter new Mahler personally and both Water and Ferrier knew she was dying. Its available on several labels as it's out of copywrite but I would go for Decca (who recorded it) or Naxos (nicely cleaned up).
Listening to that now, thanks to the magic of ThouPipe and the wonder of YACF.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.