Author Topic: Be careful when buying or selling old camping stoves  (Read 1897 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Be careful when buying or selling old camping stoves
« on: 09 May, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/31944/tp/1/

Basically, Royal Mail will now destroy (without compensation) a used liquid-fuelled stove if they find it in their system.

This seems to be a new thing as I bought a couple of used stoves from fleaBay last year with no problems, other than their being half full of stale unleaded  :sick:

It doesn't seem to matter if you have drained and flushed the stove.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Be careful when buying or selling old camping stoves
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2013, 07:58:36 pm »
Reminds me of when I was flying back from CDG once with an EMPTIED fuel canister, they still refused to accept it and I had to mail it back separately (no doubt to be flown home anyway) - never give the French an opportunity to mess you around when travelling IME, as they always will.

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »
When I flew from Dubai to Delhi (Gulf Air), I still had a half litre of methanol in the fuel bottle on my bike ;D

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:04:37 pm »
never give the French an opportunity to mess you around when travelling IME, as they always will.

IME, simply being an Englishman in France (or, worse, in French waters) is sufficient excuse for them to tie you up in 50 shades of paperwork.