Author Topic: Norfolk Campsites  (Read 4263 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Norfolk Campsites
« on: 01 May, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »
I had planned to base myself in Burnham Deepdale (well known to some forumites) during the long June Bank Holiday weekend but they're all booked up, even for tents. :(

Can anyone recommend a camp site in northern half of Norfolk (preferably central / west)?  Showers are a must.  I don't have any cooking equipment so will be relying on cafes/restaurants/pubs for sustenance, so a great camp site miles away from any decent grub really doesn't meet requirements. 

TIA
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Re: Norfolk Campsites
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »
Have struggled to find campsites along that coast more than once, especially as a solo cyclist. Some take families only. Last time I ended up in a mixed dorm at burnham deepdale as there was nowhere else. So will watch this post with interest ...

« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:03:42 am »
I used to use one at Kelling/Weybourne, with adjacent tank collection and pub within staggering distance in Weybourne

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=5407

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:51:30 am »
What about the campsite at the Reedham Ferry pub?  Not quite your area but you do get a chain ferry to play with.  I haven't camped there but have eaten at the pub (it was fine) and used the ferry.

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:52:47 am »
There's a tent only campsite at Stiffkey.  Not stayed there myself, but the position looks good as it overlooks the marshes.  No website but this link has details

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=3538

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
Been on the Reedham Ferry once, but don't really know my way around there.

Stiffkey, OTOH, is definitely a possibility.  For pure comedy value, I'm sure I can devise a 200km route between home and Stiffkey... Thanjs, Jen, I'll give them a call later today.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »
Bah!  Both sites booked up, as I assume any decent site will be for that weekend.  :(  Should have booked earlier.

Looks like I'll be doing a bunch of day rides from home that weekend.

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »
Have you tried Mill Farm in Wells (might be a bit outside your area) phone no: 01328 710226, or there's Pinewoods in Wells (but probably expensive cos it belongs to the Holkham estate) phone no: 01328 710439, website www.pinewoods.co.uk.

Might be booked, but poss worth a try...

Sara

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »
Hello!  Nice to see you're still with us. :)  Thank you for the suggestions.

I've left a message with Mill Farm. 
Pinewoods doesn't take pre-bookings for tents because those pitches are weather dependent.  In case anyone is considering them, they're not taking tents this weekend because the ground is too mucky.  They suggested ringing on the day I'd like to arrive to check.  Also, they ain't cheap - I've stayed in B&Bs at price.

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2012, 07:35:17 pm »
Have you tried Kelling Heath. It might be too far away as it's near Sherringham.

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/touring-and-camping-id171.html
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2012, 07:48:47 pm »
Thanks for all the recommendations, but everyone is full that weekend.

I shall keep record of all these sites, but will make some other arrangements that weekend.

« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
you could always wild camp  :demon:. i can lend you a hooped bivvi or a small tent if it helps  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2012, 08:43:41 pm »
you could always wild camp  :demon:. i can lend you a hooped bivvi or a small tent if it helps  :)

Well, sleeping somewhere different each night and hauling all my stuff with me all day every day would be good prep for my tour later in the year.

Thinking of alternatives, I think I may have the making of another plan - this one involving towpaths and riversides (though possibly not my tourer)...

« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:37:34 pm »
I would recommend my favoured wild camp spot in North Norfolk, except that I know that it will be occupied by a group of schoolgirls camping there this weekend (with permission).  O:-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2012, 11:14:05 pm »
When we stayed at Stiffkey a couple of years ago they said they never turn away cyclists.  Do they know you're pedal powered?

We also stayed at Happisburgh, home of the only privately operated lighthouse in the country. Or one of them. And pronounced haysbrugh.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=7156

Not that special but close to Thee Pubbe. Get in there early if you want to eat. Cafe down the road too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15 on: 06 May, 2012, 08:25:38 am »
yes my experience of the norfolk coast is always they are FULLY booked a long time in advance  :'(
Also that coastal road is getting really bad for cyclists now in summer. As others have said, I think going inland will be the best option...best wishes  :)

« Reply #16 on: 06 May, 2012, 08:40:48 am »
And pronounced haysbrugh.

Also Stiffkey, for anyone who doesn't know, is pronounced stoo-kee.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #17 on: 10 May, 2013, 11:27:19 pm »
We still have space just, www.parklandsholidays.co.uk we are 4 miles north of Wisbech no quite where you where looking, take away food and bar on site when you phone say Tim told you to call