Author Topic: Non-science  (Read 5052 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Non-science
« Reply #25 on: 15 February, 2019, 09:00:07 am »
Your point is still a relevant one though...
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:59:54 am »
The other thing in the A Team was the way the camera lingered after every car crash so you could see the perps climb out with nothing more than a scratch and a touch of the dizzies.

Which explains how they drive in New Jersey.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:10:42 am »
And THE other thing is that it had the most hummable theme tune of that whole genre.

(I pity da fool who dares disagree.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:19:01 am »
I saw a thing on telly the other day about Michael Caine which included a brilliant clip of an interview he did around the time of the Italian Job coming out. One of the things he said about the making of the Italian Job was that he was particularly keen to avoid people coming to harm - as a reaction to Hollywood's life-is-cheap approach to death and violence - but he wanted to smash up as many cars as possible, because he *really* hates cars. He made the very good point that when you see a person being blown up/shot on screen, you know it's fake, but when you see a car being destroyed, it's real.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:41:38 pm »
And THE other thing is that it had the most hummable theme tune of that whole genre.

Agree with that, with Knight Rider in close second.  Although Airwolf deserves special mention for the theme tune being vastly better than the programme.

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:12:30 pm »
Airwolf deserves special mention for the theme tune being vastly better than the programme.

I don't think I ever watched Airwolf but I did have the theme tune as my ringtone some* years ago.

*on my Nokia 8210, to give you an idea of how many years

ian

« Reply #31 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:33:09 pm »
I think like most 80s tv shows, time won't have been kind, but my nostalgia is a pleasingly upholstered and comfy place for these things to reside. I think all these shows had mostly the same plot week-in-week-out, the series arc yet to be invented. You just needed the premise (renegade US officers from 'Nam, stolen/borrowed military hardware, etc. – though it had to be righteous and you knew they were wrongly accused or that they weren't entitled to the stuff they'd borrowed, let's not have any moral ambiguity), a bunch of notable good-guy characters (each with their own schtick) and interchangeably anonymous bad guys whose comeuppance was assured. And don't forget the pre-credit joke.

If I recall, Airwolf (like most shows of the era) had a minimal budget so had to reuse the same aerial stock footage, which meant they were always fighting a bad guy in a rather series incongruous biplane (and Airwolf would always loop-the-loop, very badly). Then I think someone else made a fourth series with a completely different cast and not enough budget even for stock footage, so they simply recycled footage from the earlier series. Simpler times.

The A Team only had about six car crashes, which they'd also recycle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:44:02 pm »
The danger of 80s nostalgia is that taken to its logical conclusion you end up with Kung Fury.

Reposted here for anyone who missed this concentrated awesomeness the first time around: 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bS5P_LAqiVg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bS5P_LAqiVg&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/bS5P_LAqiVg

* May contain The Hoff or traces of The Hoff.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:50:27 pm »
Honestly, it's like someone is syphoning ideas straight out of my mind. That's the sort of stuff I daydream all the time.

« Reply #34 on: 15 February, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
The danger of 80s nostalgia is that taken to its logical conclusion you end up with Kung Fury.

Reposted here for anyone who missed this concentrated awesomeness the first time around: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg
https://youtu.be/bS5P_LAqiVg

* May contain The Hoff or traces of The Hoff.
Brilliant!
There was even a unicorn in there!

citoyen

Non-science
« Reply #35 on: 15 February, 2019, 03:31:03 pm »
Surely the A-Team deserve a mention in this category - they would blow-up entire vehicles without harming anyone, and spray 1000s of rounds of ammo around without a single shot landing (AK47 as water-cannon).

TJ Hooker was the anti-A team - he could make baddies die and cars blow up just by waving his gun in their general direction.

Also, to get back to the scientifically implausible thing: William Shatner running.

ian

« Reply #36 on: 15 February, 2019, 03:49:20 pm »
Honestly, right now I'm building an 80s TV crime-fighting dream team in my head.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #37 on: 15 February, 2019, 05:11:24 pm »
Nothing surprises me with regard to you, Ian.

Also: 'traces of the Hoff...' Ew!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #38 on: 15 February, 2019, 05:59:48 pm »
It was, indirectly but let's hold them responsible, the Hoff and Knightrider that got me kicked out the Boys' Brigade (on only second attendance, we'd not even got onto firearms).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #39 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:34:31 pm »
I saw a thing on telly the other day about Michael Caine which included a brilliant clip of an interview he did around the time of the Italian Job coming out. One of the things he said about the making of the Italian Job was that he was particularly keen to avoid people coming to harm - as a reaction to Hollywood's life-is-cheap approach to death and violence - but he wanted to smash up as many cars as possible, because he *really* hates cars. He made the very good point that when you see a person being blown up/shot on screen, you know it's fake, but when you see a car being destroyed, it's real.

Although if you look very closely at the DVD, you'll spot Charlie Croker's Aston turning into a Lancia just before it goes off the cliff ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #40 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:52:33 pm »
Kim
re Kung Fury:

This is the WHY of both the Internet and YACF!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i