Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1746074 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #13100 on: 30 January, 2019, 12:26:38 pm »
Don’t think I’ll be out this evening. I’ll use doing ride prep stuff for Saturday as my excuse.

Yeah, me too!  ;D

« Reply #13101 on: 30 January, 2019, 01:48:09 pm »
I'm a probably.

Need to see what the roads look like but I could do with some time awheel - if only to remember how to work a bicycle  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #13102 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
Just got back from a run and the roads are pretty icy around me, so I might give tonight a swerve, save it for Saturday...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #13103 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:26:04 pm »
At last, we have a responsible adult in our midst  :o

Maybe a trip out on wet roads in -6 isn't such a good idea when we all have a busy few months of riding ahead.

« Reply #13104 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:54:51 pm »
I agree,  The snow here hasn't melted all day so I'm going to be a no s(h)now as well now ::-)

At last, we have a responsible adult in our midst  :o

Maybe a trip out on wet roads in -6 isn't such a good idea when we all have a busy few months of riding ahead.
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #13105 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:11:45 pm »
On this afternoons commute to work the roads around Witham were mostly dry and no evidence of ice. North East of Witham there were major areas of frozen sleet across the whole road width; on Bulford Lane, Pole Lane, Ranks Green, Blackley Lane (especially around A130 underpass). Littley Green Road had a lot of ice but not full road width.

Rain and Sleet and subsequent run off in some areas looks to have diluted the road salt to a point that I wouldn't trust even gritted roads until they dry up.

Looks like Witham had  lot less sleet/snow than surrounding areas but is not any warmer so just less water to freeze up and grit is still effective.

Marathon Winters were fine on the ice, almost makes the extra effort and the noise worthwhile.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13106 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:20:22 pm »
Marathon Winters aren't completely infallible.  Some winters ago me and Oaky decided to try our Winters and an interesting bit of road camber defeated my studded tyres.  I went down which gave Oaky the opportunity to cycle into the back of my head.  Fortunately I was wearing a Magic Hat TM and got away with a few stud marks on said Magic Hat.  Oaky has always maintained he didn't do it on purpose...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #13107 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:15:58 pm »
It did feel like I need to run the studded tyres at a lower pressure for one rippled ice section with corners - I avoided leaning the bike whilst on ice.
The trade off of efficiency on the non icy bits (99.9% of journey) versus grip to lay the bike over on thick sheet ice suggests dropping the pressure a bit but not going to minimum marked pressure or lower - its more sensible to back off on the corners and avoid nasty ruts or camber to minimise the chance of sliding off.
As always finding the correct tyre pressure is a bit of trial and error with a lot of personal preference chucked in. By the time the Winter tyres are parked til next year I may have figured it out (to forget next time).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13108 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »
Marathon Winters aren't completely infallible.  Some winters ago me and Oaky decided to try our Winters and an interesting bit of road camber defeated my studded tyres.  I went down which gave Oaky the opportunity to cycle into the back of my head.  Fortunately I was wearing a Magic Hat TM and got away with a few stud marks on said Magic Hat.  Oaky has always maintained he didn't do it on purpose...

* whistles *
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13109 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:12:38 pm »
I knew it  >:(

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13110 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:03:18 pm »
If I were to drag myself out of my sickbed, what time tonight at the Alehouse?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13111 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:16:27 pm »
If I were to drag myself out of my sickbed, what time tonight at the Alehouse?

We will be there about 7ish. Zat okay?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13112 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:33:07 pm »
Yep
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13113 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:21:37 am »
Huggy and I are favouring another attempt at the Hurdlemakers this week rather than the scheduled trip.

Does that have the approval of the rest of the peloton ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13114 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:30:50 am »
I’d be up for that.

« Reply #13115 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:49:00 am »
After a few weeks where I've not been available, I was hoping to have a destination that was reachable for me this Wednesday. So if not the Viper, could we aim for somewhere else that is more 'mid' Essex?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13116 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:03:43 am »
I don’t mind, I can always get train assistance back from Chelmsford.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13117 on: 03 February, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »
After a few weeks where I've not been available, I was hoping to have a destination that was reachable for me this Wednesday. So if not the Viper, could we aim for somewhere else that is more 'mid' Essex?

Three Elms ... Jazz Night: not on their 'forthcoming events' for Feb?
Spiritual Home.
Chequers, Roxwell, to show our appreciation of their Epiphany efforts - what night was quiz night?

« Reply #13118 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:19:22 pm »
The walnut tree could fit, is it on the diary soon?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13119 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:00:36 am »
The walnut tree could fit, is it on the diary soon?

27th Feb for the Walnut Tree - wasn't exactly lively last time, though! Rose and Crown, Gt Waltham's another decent centrally located option.

« Reply #13120 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:32:41 am »
27th Feb for the Walnut Tree - wasn't exactly lively last time, though!

Sounds like you're seeking something lively ... open mic, karaoke, jazz, pub quiz ... ?

I'm happy with all the alternative options proposed, all seem reachable for me. Now how to come to a consensus around here?  ;D

« Reply #13121 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:00:41 am »
The problem with "central" is that it really only works for the good people of Witham  :'(

EG:  The Hurdlemakers is 14.3km from Spa Road and the Rose & Crown is 15.7km.

For Psyclist the Hurdlemakers is 44.6km and for me it is 32.5km.  The Rose & Crown is 28.2km for Psyclist and 46.2km for me.

I think the sweet spot for Psyclist and me would be the Cross Keys at Notley (not suggesting we go there) - 34.3km and 33.3km respectively but only 4.8km for the Withamites.

At this time of year even the Spiritual Home is a bit far west for me - 44.3km.

I will give this week a miss and think about the Endeavour next week (41km with no train).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13122 on: 04 February, 2019, 01:48:23 pm »
Actually, the Cross Keys at White Notley would be a good idea.  We keep meaning to go there having heard some good things.  Shall we go???

« Reply #13123 on: 04 February, 2019, 01:54:38 pm »
Actually, the Cross Keys at White Notley would be a good idea.  We keep meaning to go there having heard some good things.  Shall we go???

Trip Advisor gives it a good rating, but it would appear to close at 9:30pm. Perhaps we could buy multiple rounds before 9:30, or would that be doing the man with a purse out of a job?

« Reply #13124 on: 04 February, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »
When you say you have heard good things about it, are you referring to the 4.8km ride home ?