• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Pesto
« on: 09 April, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »
I like Pesto. However, all I seem to do with it is:
Boil pasta,
Add Pesto,
Stir,
Eat.
But I suspect I'm doing it a disservice - does anyone have a better use for it??

Re: Pesto
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:07:28 pm »
Soften some onions in a frying pan, and add chopped up bacon to the pan too. When the onions are translucent  and the bacon is cooked, add to pasta along with pesto. It's one of my emergency meals and is very yummy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:17:29 pm »
Boil pasta,
Add Pesto,
Stir,
Eat.
But I suspect I'm doing it a disservice - does anyone have a better use for it??

That works very well, mind  ;)
Getting there...

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:26:39 pm »
Spread it on a baguette then put slices of tomato and goats cheese inside, pop it in the oven for 5 minutes, and you have a delicious warm sandwich.

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:29:45 pm »
This may sound wierd, but I used some home-made rocket pesto in the vegetable stir fry I had for dinner tonight.

Worked quite well, I thought.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:50:37 pm »
Thinly slice potatoes and add to boiling water.  After a couple of minutes add green beans to the water.  Cook your pasta.  Aim to have potatoes, pasta, and beans all ready at the same time (arithmetic may be involved).

Meanwhile, heat pesto gently in a pan with about half a teaspoon of flaked dried chillis.  When the other ingredients are ready, drain, add to the pesto, and, er, stir and eat...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:36:42 pm »
That pasta and pesto - shred up some baby spinach and toss it in, let the heat and steam wilt it.  Dee-licious.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:28:16 pm »
Use gnocchi instead of the pasta!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »
It's good as a half and half mix with tomato puree on top of a pizza.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:35:35 pm »
I often have cheddar cheese & pesto sandwiches.  There's lots of pestos mixed in with other things you can buy now.  Yum Yum.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:20:44 am »
It's not my recipe, but we sometimes do:

Cook your pasta (spaghetti is good) and stir in the pesto.
While pasta is cooking, gently fry chopped shallots for a few mins, then mix in fingers of cooked beetroot to warm through.
Crumble up some feta cheese. Put pasta in bowls (you want to make sure it's hot), sprinkle feta on top, then spoon your shallot and beetroot mixture on top of that.

yum!

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2008, 10:32:45 am »
Hmm, sounds good!!

« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »
Boil pasta,
Add Pesto,
Stir,
Eat.

What?!
No garlic?
No tuna/chicken?
Mushrooms?
Broccoli?
Splash of olive oil?
All or just some of the above are good with pasta and pesto and never takes long to prepare.

Pesto is good with jacket spuds too.

Sometimes I just have olive oil, paprika and mixed spice with my pasta etc.

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:35:01 pm »
Real pesto is equal quantities of,
Grated fresh Parmesan
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic
Basil
Toasted Pine nuts

blended together and eaten raw; no more, no less
(actually it's an old Italian recipe to preserve Basil over the winter when they couldn't grow it but these days..)

actually cliff if you're talking about the variety out of a jar no probably not much else you can do with it.

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:05:33 pm »
Real pesto is equal quantities of,
Grated fresh Parmesan
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic
Basil
Toasted Pine nuts

I assume you mean eual weights? That's seriously garlicy! I tried it a little while back and was shocked at the potency.

Then again, I tried with 1/2 the garlic and that was dull, or my taste buds never got over the first attempt!

iakobski

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »
Roll out half a pack of puff pastry to fit your baking tray. Score 1 cm from edge.

Spread pesto all over except for edge.

Toss in a little olive oil: cherry tomatoes capers olives chunks of red onion goats cheese slices of pepper

Pile veg on top of pesto and bake.