Author Topic: Sun 28 May to Sun 4 June Avignon camping  (Read 14000 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
Sun 28 May to Sun 4 June Avignon camping
« on: 19 December, 2016, 12:09:53 pm »
Anyone else fancy half-term week camping just outside Avignon?

Tickets are now on sale for the Eurostar direct to Avignon to London. I've booked on the 07.15 on Sunday 28, returning on the 15.59 on Sunday. I booked for £110 return. I'm planning on camping at the affordable and excellent municipal site http://www.camping-villeneuvelezavignon.com/en-pitch-cycling-hicking-france-gard-16-67.html which is a short bus ride from Avignon. It's 9 euro a night for a cycling/hiking camper. Swimming in the excellent adjacent municipal pool (indoors and outdoor pools) is included.

A bus from Avignon goes to the Pont du Gard - costs about 1.5 euro each way.

My current plan is to take a folding bike and pootle about, but I might be persuaded to send the touring bike down and meet it there, or to hire a bike for more serious riding.

Just floating this out on the off chance some YACFers fancy a meander around Avignon too.

Re: Sun 28 May to Sun 4 June Avignon camping
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »
Tempting. mmm
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2016, 07:43:45 pm »
Hmmm.   A long trip that one.

I don't actually have a passport at the moment.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2016, 09:02:20 pm »
I should add that we're happy to provide bed / floor space in London on the Saturday night before and Sunday night after for out-of-Londoners who want to come along.

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »
I'm not up for this but have been to Avignon... Cycling around The area of provence to the south is gorgeous. Check out how much eurostar are charging to put bike on the train. A touring bike would give you longer range and access to more countryside

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2016, 08:58:53 am »
Is it possible to take a bike on Eurostar south of Paris now? Have they changed the rules?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:17:39 am »
If they've changed the 'bagged bikes only' rule, it must be quite recent.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:34:34 am »
Avignon does not accept non folding bikes.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #8 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
Eurostar say, "We're not able to accept non-folding bikes or those over 85cm long on Eurostar trains between London or Ashford and Lyon, Avignon and Marseille, but you can arrange for your bike to be delivered door-to-door with First Luggage. As a Eurostar traveller, you'll get an exclusive discount."

I haven't looked at what the cost is (yet).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 20 December, 2016, 11:34:41 am »
Not cheap, the last time I looked.

« Reply #10 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:32:01 pm »
From the customers point of view this should be the easiest thing to put together but of course it is not. Quite how these 'barons' justify their huge salaries defeats me.

« Reply #11 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:31:26 pm »
Eurostar say, "We're not able to accept non-folding bikes or those over 85cm long on Eurostar trains between London or Ashford and Lyon, Avignon and Marseille, but you can arrange for your bike to be delivered door-to-door with First Luggage. As a Eurostar traveller, you'll get an exclusive discount."

I haven't looked at what the cost is (yet).
When I went from London to Paris on Eurostar about 6 years ago I put my bike on train for £25 each way and assumed that you could do the same on trains going direct to Avignon. But I guess if they are advertising 'First Luggage' option their isn't another option... I don't know.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2016, 09:25:45 pm »
Suggested rides out: loop down to Tarascon/Beauvcaire and back up the other side of the river.
Les Baux (climbing, but magnificent views)
The white roads starting from the turning signposted ;Barrage' opposite Chateauneuf du Pape. Potentially as far as Orange and back.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
You can take your bike on Eurostar to Paris then transfer to a TGV to go further south. Not as convenient obviously.

« Reply #14 on: 22 December, 2016, 09:17:25 pm »
You can take your bike on Eurostar to Paris then transfer to a TGV to go further south. Not as convenient obviously.
Have you done that?, It was a real pain when I did it. Maybe it's changed since.
There was no charge for bike on TGV but I had to take wheels off and put it all in a bike bag and put it flat in large luggage rack in centre of carriage, not by door. That maybe a problem if bike is at all fragile / not protected if other luggage goes on top.
If train is already busy / you are not at the starting station like in Paris the rack could well already be full like when I put it on train at Avignon (train had started further south). I got on train and left bike in doorway which was already a storage area for bags... No choice as I wasn't going home otherwise. Guard threatened to fine me 100euro if I didn't sit on floor/stairs next to bike as it was a hazard.
I think another Brit had a compact road bike and managed to put it in regular luggage area on direct Eurostar train to Avignon... I would try that option. Others on this forum may know how doable that is these days.
There are two Avignon stations, direct Eurostar station is on edge of town. TGV station was a bus ride out of town, buses are okay about taking large baggage. (Assuming nothings changed since I did it 6 years ago). Studying baggage sizes / policy is a good idea, sometime you may get conflicting info on different sites. Good luck

« Reply #15 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:29:00 am »
I haven't done it myself but 2 friends of mine did it this summer. It was as you described.

« Reply #16 on: 23 December, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Avignon is a favourite destination of mine in France, having been there many times I offer this information.

The Eurostar train goes into the town station which makes it much easier to get to the river bridge and campsite.

The municipal campsite is situated on an island in the middle of the river. After crossing the bridge take a right and it is the second campsite. Don’t make for the first it is grotty. When checking in they will tell you to find an emplacement and let them know the number. Ignore this make for the grass area along the riverside fence. You will see some picnic tables, pitching by and using one of them makes for easier camping. Pitch your tent and then let them know where you are. I have never had a problem but a Dutch couple came and pitched by us and was told they shouldn’t. They just acted as if they didn’t understand and the site warden just walked away shaking his head muttering something about foreigners.

Cycling to a from the Pont du Gard is easy from the campsite about 38 miles round trip. My wife and I have done it on folders and touring bikes. If you head to Remoulins go over the bridge and turn right up the back lane along the river you can cycle right upto the Pont with the best view and shortest distance. The visitor centre route is longer and busier and you will have to walk through the exhibits.

Hope this helps.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17 on: 23 December, 2016, 12:31:36 pm »
snip

The Eurostar train goes into the town station which makes it much easier to get to the river bridge and campsite.

snip

Not any more - now that the Eurostar carries on to Marseille it stops at the TGV station on the edge of the town (I was there last June, and the previous June) - that said you can get a local train from the TGV to the town station.

... and if you are coming home from the S of France on Eurostar remember that there is no immigration stuff at the start of your journey - you and all the luggage has to get off the train at Lille, go through the UK border control and get back on the train - takes 70-90 minutes so I'm told.  [When we returned from the south we took the TGV to Lille and got on the Eurostar as normal (and much cheaper)]

... and to add another dimension to getting a proper bike to the S of France - have a look at taking Eurostar to Lille and changing to the TGV (more and more TGVs are now taking wheeled-on bikes, rather than in a "housse" aka a bike bag)

Rob

« Reply #18 on: 23 December, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »
snip

snip

you can get a local train from the TGV to the town station.

That is a new option then 3 years ago it was a bus service. There is a cycleway from TGV station to river bridge. Across the main car park to the left is a path that leads past some offices, alongside a dual carriageway and onto a riverside cycleway. Just follow that to the bridge.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 23 December, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »
I thought the TGVs to the south remained resolutely non-bike reservation.

Booking bikes on TGVs means you must travel second class. There are no bike spaces in first class carriages.

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 23 December, 2016, 04:24:33 pm »
snip

snip

you can get a local train from the TGV to the town station.

That is a new option then 3 years ago it was a bus service. There is a cycleway from TGV station to river bridge. Across the main car park to the left is a path that leads past some offices, alongside a dual carriageway and onto a riverside cycleway. Just follow that to the bridge.

It's quite literally a 5 minute journey - and bikes are carried free!

Rob

robgul

« Reply #21 on: 23 December, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
I thought the TGVs to the south remained resolutely non-bike reservation.

Booking bikes on TGVs means you must travel second class. There are no bike spaces in first class carriages.

That was my understanding re trains to/from the south but I understand that new rolling stock that's being introduced will have some bike spaces (that's according to an SNCF homme I spoke to at Marseille in June this year)

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:21:08 pm »
Good news. That will make it much easier getting back from Fleche Velocio next Easter then. Last time we had to bag our bikes.

« Reply #23 on: 01 January, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »
There appears to be some useful information here about bikes on French trains http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/planning-a-trip/bikes-and-french-trains.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 01 January, 2017, 02:53:07 pm »
http://www.sncf.com/en/services/travelling-with-your-bike
and select "National Trains" for a map of TGVs that allow bike booking. It includes the previously unavailable lines south of Lyon.