Author Topic: 2017. How will it be for you?  (Read 12919 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: 2017. How will it be for you?
« Reply #50 on: 02 October, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »
Never one to rush into things I think I've settled on some goals for 2017:
  • In 2016 I rode further than I have in a year in my post getting a driving license life, I intend to beat that total (3400km).
  • In 2016 I rode a bike every week but four, I'm going for the full set this year.
  • In 2016 I rode further in a day than I had before (210km), I intend to beat that.
  • In 2016 I almost exclusively rode my MTB until I got a gravelly adventure thing which I then almost exclusively rode.  My road bike barely moved.  In 2017 I intend to be more varied and record at least 500km on each.
Not outrageous goals.  I wonder how they'll look in hindsight.
1st quarter down: 1&2 are on target. Plans regarding 3 went pear shaped at the end of Jan but there's time yet for new plans. 4 - road bike still hasn't moved.
Cheating slightly by reporting as at the 2nd of July rather than the quarter end goal 3 is done. Goals 1, 2 & 4 all on target.
3rd quarter down: Goal 4 was achieved but then there was an n+1 in the middle of August.  It's looking much better to achieve 500km on that that I expected. Goal 1 is looking dicey.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #51 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
 :thumbsup: Well done! How close/far are you from goal 1? Plenty of time left...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

SoreTween

« Reply #52 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:41:14 pm »
Thanks Pickled,

I need another 700 km. The daily commute is worth about 130 per month but a) I'm out of condition so would struggle mightily to bung in a couple of 200s to see me over the line and b) might get packed off to Italy for work through Nov & Dec. I'll be miffed if that knackers goal 2 after so many weeks.

SoreTween

« Reply #53 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:19:47 am »
1) Failed - 3220km
2) Stupidly failed.  I did get sent to Italy for 2 weeks and took a bike with me to keep things going.  Then on my return home life was mad busy and I completely forgot to throw a leg over, 2 minutes round the block would have done.  Annoyed with myself  >:(

I did manage to maintain 4) despite the August n+1.  Quite pleased with that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: 31 December, 2017, 09:48:40 am »
Not much riding to start with, mostly walking and physio through February so that future riding isn't too compromised.

Hopefully build up to 300km fitness by the end of March and then Fleche Velocio and LWL400 in April. BCM600 in May and Le Galibier 600 UAF in June. Change 1000 UAF and LEL in July.

The rest of the year is up in the air, though there are lots of possibilities. Diagonales, Fleches de France and a Super Randonnee have been on the want-to-do list for a fair while. A South African 1000 BRM looks tempting. I need to go proper touring at some point. It has been too many years since the last time.

Rehab took longer than hoped but I got round an easy 200 in April. Lack of fitness and then work commitments took out FV, LWL and BCM. I finally got fit enough for a 300 in June and the fitness upswing was just fast enough for me to finish the UAF600, UAF1000 and LEL.

The other possibilities went by the wayside but there were some bonus brevets - a 200 in India and 200 & 300 in Oz thanks to work.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #55 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:07:15 am »
Retrospective time.

My current plans are to visit some new places:

Feb: Andalucía: Málaga, Granada, Córdoba & Sevilla
April: Grand tour of the Balkans: Sofia to the Adriatic and back in a big loop
Summer: Baltics: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia

Well-laid plans and all that... Missed Spain due to an inability to get arse in gear. Massively failed in the Balkans trip: started well then crashed badly, ended up in a Serbian hospital for four nights with a skull fracture. Oops.

The rest of the year went a little better. Flew to Riga then cycled up the Baltic coast on the Estonian part of the Iron Curtain Trail, then a circuit back to Latvia. In the autumn there was a trip to Ohrid, Macedonia, through Eastern Albania and Northern Greece.

So, if I can include a day out on an MTB with shallot #3 in Colombia, I've cycled in eight new countries this year, and had a fantastic time notwithstanding the Serbian slip-up.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #56 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:20:24 am »
I managed long itchington in may but did not get to York . I did a small section of the Thames meander ride as I overslept and did one wing hall camping week and one weekend there .I think I have done less miles overall this year and have found it hard to motivate myself over the last few months . I feel like I should have done more .  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #57 on: 31 December, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
Current plans:
  • June / July - 5ish week trip from St Malo along the Loire, across to the Moselle and home
FAILED: busy moving my father into a care home
  • Sept - possibly Essex to Liverpool the long way, ie via Oxford and Shropshire
FAILED: but had a splendid 2 weeks in The Netherlands instead
  • Deano's Don't Keep to the Road Audax....depending on my fitness
FAILED: family things again
  • Trips in the campervan
SUCCESS: 39 nights
  • ......so much to do, so little time / money

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #58 on: 01 January, 2018, 11:05:22 am »
I didn't post here at the start of the year, but here is my 2017 in review:

I hit my target of averaging 800km/mo, though fell a little short of my secondary target of 10,000km for the year.
Total Riding Time: 486:11:48
Total Distance: 9,916.39 km (6,161.76 mi)
Cycling days: 221
Average Time: 2:12:00
Average Distance: 44.87km (27.88 mi)
Average Speed: 20.40 km/h (12.68 mph)
Long rides: 100-199km: 3; 200+: 2
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #59 on: 01 January, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »
My year was basically rubbish! I rode 400 miles less than in 2016 at approx 2 400 miles and went out on my bike only 158 times (approximately).  My average speed was also down 0.2mph at 12.91mph.

I did however, manage a couple of 100km rides (Ride for the 96... I got lost and Manchester to Blackpool plus the rides to the start and finish) and finished the Bala Mini Bash which has beaten me twice previously. I also managed the climbs of Milwich and Camp Hills without stopping for the first time ever.

This year will be better....  :-\

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #60 on: 01 January, 2018, 12:46:23 pm »
i haven't set any riding targets for the 2017, but it turned out to be my biggest cycling year ever over 26,000km (500km/wk avg!).

i'll be riding less this year, no particular plans just yet - just to be fit before the season starts.